Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61357 times)

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2012, 03:30:28 am »

And people like me who are terrible drivers would love to have a computer controlled car.

Most people who are terrible drivers wont admit that they are terrible at it.

And if the computer messed up and crashed the car it would get huge news coverage, even if the total amount of crashes went way down the news would make it seem like the things screwed up all the time.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2012, 04:25:50 am »

I'm imagining someone using the glass' head tiling controls and looking like a moron in the process, or being blind because there's too munv information on the screen. But otherwise it's pretty cool.

I'm not considering this the future until we get power armor

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2012, 05:22:44 am »

I'm imagining someone using the glass' head tiling controls and looking like a moron in the process, or being blind because there's too munv information on the screen. But otherwise it's pretty cool.

I'm not considering this the future until we get power armor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_exoskeleton

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2012, 05:50:08 am »

Yes, I know it's getting made, I mean when it's in wide use

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2012, 05:51:08 am »

Yea, power armor totally exists.

What it really needs is a portable power source. Modern batteries aren't up to the task. Though it having to be plugged in, probably isn't to much of a hindrance for private sector or State use. Bomb Squads wearing power armor where their manipulators can have as fine motor control, and dexterity has they do.

There was a WIRED article of where MIT has telesense materiel that is sensitive enough to register a house fly landing on, and giving the feedback to a user.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2012, 07:48:46 am »

"Powered armour"

Ur namin it wrong

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:47 pm »

And people like me who are terrible drivers would love to have a computer controlled car.

Most people who are terrible drivers wont admit that they are terrible at it.

And if the computer messed up and crashed the car it would get huge news coverage, even if the total amount of crashes went way down the news would make it seem like the things screwed up all the time.

Counterpoint a) as long as some people adopt the technology, it would reduce crashes caused both by them and by bad drivers crashing into them. If public transit adopted it, we might see less accidents like the one in New York last year where a bus crashed sideways into a sign and got torn in half, neatly bisecting or decapitating everyone from the first row to the ones five seats from the back. Although no doubt unions would heavily disagree.

b) Such technology would not be successful without government programs to teach children to give control of their cars to computers, making it socially normal to give control of the car to a computer and making people who continue to drive cars unaided into freaks or even irresponsible criminals.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2012, 09:16:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not saying that It won't happen eventually, just that people will fight it. And there would be groups that would still drive manually, just like there are people who still drive a horse and buggy and live in a house without electricity, even when the option is there.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:01 am »

Yes, but they don't drive horse and buggy down a road without some sort of permit.

"Worst" case scenario, all major roads are "computer controlled cars only." People could still drive their own cars, but only on backroads/etc. Without all the human drivers on the road, computer controlled navigation gets a billion times simpler and safer because all these cars can communicate with each other. They'll then know almost instantly when other cars around them go out of control or have a failure of some sort, and accidents like pileups will be a thing of the past.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 03:42:17 am »

Yes, but they don't drive horse and buggy down a road without some sort of permit.

"Worst" case scenario, all major roads are "computer controlled cars only." People could still drive their own cars, but only on backroads/etc. Without all the human drivers on the road, computer controlled navigation gets a billion times simpler and safer because all these cars can communicate with each other. They'll then know almost instantly when other cars around them go out of control or have a failure of some sort, and accidents like pileups will be a thing of the past.

Nah, I'd see the worst case being the option to switch between manual-driving and computer-controlled/assisted driving. 

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 05:18:09 am »

The future is a relative thing, i didnt imagine browsing theese forums and steamchatting with Angel Of Death now when i got my first phone.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:28 am »

Yea, power armor totally exists.

What it really needs is a portable power source. Modern batteries aren't up to the task. Though it having to be plugged in, probably isn't to much of a hindrance for private sector or State use. Bomb Squads wearing power armor where their manipulators can have as fine motor control, and dexterity has they do.

There was a WIRED article of where MIT has telesense materiel that is sensitive enough to register a house fly landing on, and giving the feedback to a user.

While the ability to simulate and transmit touch might not be too far off, there would be a crippling delay between what is felt and what is seen if it was implemented for a Bomb Squad. Ever see the standard suit for a bomb diffusal officer? No gloves, the hands are totally exposed to maximize dexterity and reaction timing. Crazy stuff.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2012, 05:37:01 pm »

"Augmented Reality Technology"?

Oh God.

It's like Shadowrun is coming to life o_0
Dystopia of 2070, here we come!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2012, 06:30:47 pm »

"Augmented Reality Technology"?

Oh God.

It's like Shadowrun is coming to life o_0
Dystopia of 2070, here we come!
All we need now are gnome paparazi...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2012, 06:50:39 pm »

But we can't have computer-controlled cars! How will people do drive-bys, rob banks, or park illegally?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25