Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61315 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2012, 01:36:48 pm »

Awesome! Auto accidents are still one of the largest causes of death in the US. Hopefully that'll be a thing of the past, soon.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2012, 04:18:03 pm »

Well yeah, but they can be regulated like people who still like to hunt for their food: Do it in a place where other people won't get hurt.

It's not like long, empty, country dirt roads are going away anytime soon (at least in the US).
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »

Autonomous vehicles can still be driven by people, it's just optional. Presumably you could retake control if you get into the countryside.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »

Awesome! Auto accidents are still one of the largest causes of death in the US. Hopefully that'll be a thing of the past, soon.
quite a lot of people naturally dislike automatic cars because, psychologically, we like being in control. I can imagine it reducing the numbers, but I feel there will still be some people driving cars themselves.
The best way that I have seen the idea of automatic cars implemented was in the Cassandra Kresnov novels. Basically your car works on a semi-autopilot. So you are still able to control the speed and a small amount of placement in the vehicle (thus allowing you to better avoid small obstacles), but the overall computer system sets limits like a maximum/minimum speed and if it senses that you are about to crash into something (or something is about to crash into you!) it will override the various vehicles to attempt to prevent accidents (such as stomping on the brakes in one vehicle and potentially accelerating in the other to get it out of the road).

That way people have the safety benefits from having a computer in control (accident avoidances), the advantages from having a person in control (obstacle avoidance) and people still get to feel like they are in control of where they are going (psychological benefits).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2012, 04:58:14 pm »

So it'll be like one of those racing games where you can't go off the side of the road? Boring!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2012, 05:03:02 pm »

So it'll be like one of those racing games where you can't go off the side of the road? Boring!
I'd take slightly bored over the excitement that happens when the guy swerves lanes and sideswipes the side of your car, sending you into the middle of an intersection. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:35 am »

Yeah I heard that on the radio.

I hope to own one, one of these days.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »

It would be pretty awesome to be able to just recline and read a book on a trip.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2012, 05:06:38 pm »

Being an avid driving test failer, I approve of this development.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2012, 05:36:52 pm »

Old news, but: http://tinyurl.com/1st-Cyborg-Hatecrime
True. One comment was remarkably on point.

When you're less gentle with someone you don't like than the NYPD is, ur doin it wrong.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25