Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61311 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2012, 11:48:12 pm »

But...I'm trying to spare Vehicnet's processors the unnecessary burden of transporting this unworthy meatsack...isn't that a good thing?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2012, 03:09:54 am »

But...I'm trying to spare Vehicnet's processors the unnecessary burden of transporting this unworthy meatsack...isn't that a good thing?

NEGATIVE.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2012, 04:46:12 am »

I wonder will the rise of automatic sedans kill American public transport.

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2012, 04:55:15 am »

It depends, it could also seriously benefit public transport, if they decide to give them priority and such. Or they can go and develop intelligent public transportation systems that change hours and stops on demand.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2012, 07:22:07 am »

... America has public transport? This is news to Frumple. I knew some cities have a (somewhat shitty) facsimile of it, but the country as a whole is kinda' "bus what bus" for anything not involving K-12.

Anyway, here's hoping they get autocars worked out before I'm fifty-ish. It'd be nice to be able to get around a bit after my body starts deteriorating.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »

Here's a rather interesting thing: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/8/3177438/cyborg-america-biohackers-grinders-body-hackers
Though the whole back-alley doctor bit is rather worrisome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »

Oh my science we are literally becoming Shadowrun without the magic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2012, 11:49:10 pm »

I can see how having a magnet in your finger might be cool, but I'd worry about getting stuck to refrigerators and messing up people's televisions.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2012, 11:50:29 pm »

I've heard about these magnet implants before. They aren't powerful enough to damage electronics. Users should avoid MRI's, though.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2012, 11:56:17 pm »

Oh yeah, ouch. That would turn out badly. And it's not like there's an easy way to remove it if you suddenly have to get scanned for a brain tumor.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2012, 12:08:46 am »

I'm pretty sure that there is some way to shield areas of the body from an MRI. This isn't exactly the only implant people get these days. And even if it did have to be removed, if you're at an MRI you're probably not that far from a doctor that can remove it either.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2012, 11:06:15 am »

Yeah, there's an article about them here: http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-05/electrical-engineer-can-feel-magnetic-fields-through-magnets-implanted-his-fingertips
The real issue (assuming you don't get infections or other nasties right away; which shouldn't be an issue if sterile equipment and such are used) comes with rejection risk. If the magnets themselves are open to contact with the body, they will be rejected, resulting in rather nasty results. They are put inside capsules which entirely encase them in materials which won't be rejected, but if the capsules rupture or crack in some way, it's off to the ER to get it removed before your finger turns black. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:46 am »

Yeah, there's an article about them here: http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-05/electrical-engineer-can-feel-magnetic-fields-through-magnets-implanted-his-fingertips

Ah, the specialization of humanity is finally integrating the wonders of science... The adaptability of humanity is going to take on new definitions.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2012, 02:17:29 pm »

They are put inside capsules which entirely encase them in materials which won't be rejected, but if the capsules rupture or crack in some way, it's off to the ER to get it removed before your finger turns black. :P
Here's a story where the guy's magnetic implant shattered into pieces in his finger. After a few months the magnetic bits attracted each other enough to reform back into a magnet.

I think I might see what kind of effect I can get from gluing small magnets to my fingernails.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »

They are put inside capsules which entirely encase them in materials which won't be rejected, but if the capsules rupture or crack in some way, it's off to the ER to get it removed before your finger turns black. :P
Here's a story where the guy's magnetic implant shattered into pieces in his finger. After a few months the magnetic bits attracted each other enough to reform back into a magnet.

I think I might see what kind of effect I can get from gluing small magnets to my fingernails.
None. These are implanted rare earth magnets for a reason; the magnet has to:
1. be powerful enough for the magnets to be effected by even small EM fields
2. have nearly direct access to sensitive nerves in order for the tiny jiggling to be felt

Normal fridge magnets aren't nearly magnetic enough. The rare earth magnets are strong enough that if you place two magnets the size of small fridge magnets on opposite sides of a desk, they attract with enough force to potentially shatter both magnets (accidentally did this once in a physics class, whoops). The implant system works because you have small versions of those which are jiggling around in direct, or nearly direct, contact with highly sensitive nerves. An external system wouldn't be of much use, particularly on hard, nerveless surfaces like fingernails.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25