Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On a quest to kill a vampire - can't find her!  (Read 13096 times)

Sukiari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On a quest to kill a vampire - can't find her!
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:48:26 pm »

I took a quest right off the bat to kill a creature of the night.  I made my way to the capitol where this evil she-creature has killed one thousand forty (!) victims in her career as the spawn of the night.  My faithful followers are eager to accompany me, as long as I lead them to a glorious death.

All seems well, except that once I got to the area where she is supposed to be (indicated by *** on my little quest tracker compass) I can not find her for the life of me!  I have accused everybody in the area of being a vampire, undoubtedly making a fool of my poor adventurer and his companions, but nobody confessed to it.

Is there some way to tell for certain?  Will a vampire always admit to being a vampire, and perhaps I have just missed her?  I know this will cost my poor adventurer his life, as he has only killed one thing - a crab - but I am desperate to find this fiend!

Thanks.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: On a quest to kill a vampire - can't find her!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:49 pm »

Is a keep nearby? That's your best bet.

edit: Assuming you're stalking a vampire. Is that the case, or are you supposed to be finding a night creature. The latter probably isn't in the keep.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:09:41 pm by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:09 pm »

Try the keep, since you're probably looking for a Vamp or Werebeast, if you're accusing folks.  Also, look for other species living peacefully.  I found this one Blind Cave Fish woman ranger.  I made small talk, found out she stalked and killed a few humans as a ranger, then noticed the fucking HUMAN HAIR amulets it was wearing.  I accused it, and yep, sure enough, she admitted it and pounced.  Luckily, it was in a crowded room.  So, look for some things like that.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:36 pm »

look for a flashy letter and when you find one, look at the equipment, vampires usually have INSANE amounts of human dwarf and elf hair nail bone and tooth jewelry, also if you happen to accuse one that you weren't on a quest for it seems your companion wont help, least that was the case with the last vampire i encountered, strangled the vampire after literally disarming it. got me some nice levels, then it loosened my grip (cus it was tired of the torture) and i cut it in half.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Sukiari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:36 pm »

Unfortunately I died before I could find the vampire.  I looked at everybody's possessions and could not find anybody with any human body part clothing or accessories.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:14:59 am »

It might possibly have been down in the sewers/catacombs. The quest compass doesn't take z-levels into account, so far as I know.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:50 am »

It might possibly have been down in the sewers/catacombs. The quest compass doesn't take z-levels into account, so far as I know.
i think the marker for these things points to "center of mass" of the town/hamlet.  it could have been in the catacombs, the dungeon, or the sewer.

likewise, in hamlets, sometimes the quest marker points out in the middle of nowhere...  you have to go to the cluster of houses and go door to door.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:37 am »

likewise, in hamlets, sometimes the quest marker points out in the middle of nowhere...  you have to go to the cluster of houses and go door to door.

And ask every single person if they're a vampire or check their inventory?  Damn, I was hoping for a better way.

edit: aha, the vampire is flashing.  Legendary because of kills, I guess?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:47:26 am by Footkerchief »

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:36:28 am »

i have kill my first vampire....  and now???

USP45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:50:26 am »

I had the same issue. The area with *** had grates so I thought maybe the vamp was underground.  Which leads to my question:

How do you interact with a grate to get to the sewers?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:21 pm »

slightly hiyacking the thread. I drank a vampires blood and now have the option to drink blood from unconcious people, I take it I'm a vampire now? And let's hope it's not the "burn in daylight" variety
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »

And ask every single person if they're a vampire or check their inventory?  Damn, I was hoping for a better way.

edit: aha, the vampire is flashing.  Legendary because of kills, I guess?
legendary because of SKILLS.  but yea, vampires usually are not too hard to pick out.  if you dont want to talk, kist look at them ans see if they are wearing obscene amounts of jewelry made of sentients.

I had the same issue. The area with *** had grates so I thought maybe the vamp was underground.  Which leads to my question:

How do you interact with a grate to get to the sewers?
you dont, unless the grate happens to have a ramp under it...  you find a sewer access, just press "m" on fast travel till you see the list of local buildings, and look for "sewer access" in magenta.

slightly hiyacking the thread. I drank a vampires blood and now have the option to drink blood from unconcious people, I take it I'm a vampire now? And let's hope it's not the "burn in daylight" variety
yes, and you will not.
i have kill my first vampire....  and now???
talk to someone to report your success.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:56 pm »

Or drink his delicious blood.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:52:54 pm »

So I just introduced myself to half the city and its getting pretty tedious. Why cant I just ASK where the guy is? When I look for a guy in real life I don't knock on everybody's doors and ask them their names one by one!
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 08:27:24 pm »

So I just introduced myself to half the city and its getting pretty tedious. Why cant I just ASK where the guy is? When I look for a guy in real life I don't knock on everybody's doors and ask them their names one by one!
on the bright side the vampires dont try to hide their taint once you accuse them
Pages: [1] 2