Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Making sieges a joke you ignore  (Read 13125 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Making sieges a joke you ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 06:11:31 pm »

Could always try an airlock method using a couple drawbridges.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 06:40:27 pm »

Actually I forgot one thing which is well worth mentioning. Embark with two proficient weapon users. Put them in a squad together. Don't give any time off. Initially give them a weapon and shield, but later give them top-quality gear. By 1 year they will be legendary warriors and will absolutely demolish ambushes. If you kit them out with quality gear like steel/candy, they'll demolish sieges.
Playing without embarking with a couple of mililitary dwarves is like hard mode, playing with them is like easy mode. They are far far cheaper and less work to setup than trap corridors, and if anything slips past their barracks (which should be sited to intercept intruders) they can just be stationed to intercept the threat - unlike every other kind of defense which is static.

In vanilla DF just two dwarves who have been training since the start of the game will turn all sorts of threats into a joke. Even if you're planning on having an impregnable fortress, playing without 2 guys in the military is like playing hard mode, because it gives you no insurance against failure of the static defenses, if enemies slip through they run amok wiping out civvies until some lucky miner manages to dig out their brains - you don't want this. So have at least a tiny elite military to intercept those threats.

I play Fortress Defense mod, and sometimes I have (accidentally) ignored early sieges like stranglers, then I remember the siege, and it's already gone because the military, who I have train on the surface near the entrance, wiped it out automatically. It's like a long-range weapon trap that attacks every nearby enemy sufficient times to kill it. Building big complicated architecture defenses is soooo much more work.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 06:45:40 pm »

Actually I forgot one thing which is well worth mentioning. Embark with two proficient weapon users. Put them in a squad together. Don't give any time off. Initially give them a weapon and shield, but later give them top-quality gear. By 1 year they will be legendary warriors and will absolutely demolish ambushes. If you kit them out with quality gear like steel/candy, they'll demolish sieges.

I must have tried this a dozen times, and what happens is invariably that one of them gets brutally slaughtered by the first kobold to come along, and the other starts a tantrum spiral that takes out the fortress.

I mean, clearly I'm doing something wrong, I've learned from experience that Nan knows what's up, but I've still never had any success with military without either a danger room or a captive bronze colossus.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:54:09 pm by doublestrafe »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »

If goblin sieges are all you are worried about a simple trap hallway does fine. I've generally preferred giant spiked balls to serrated discs as you can make them from more metals and there is less mess to clean afterward.
Memento Mori

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:06 pm »

If goblin sieges are all you are worried about a simple trap hallway does fine. I've generally preferred giant spiked balls to serrated discs as you can make them from more metals and there is less mess to clean afterward.

Too easy.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 06:49:22 pm »

Obtain Mechanic. Obtain Carpenter. Makes many mechanism.s. Make many cages.

Continiously work at lining the edge of the map with cage traps, eventually no seige will be able to make it past the edge of these traps. If they do, make it thicker.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 06:51:58 pm »

And not as fun to look at after. I want my gobos sliced and diced dammit!

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »

I must have tried this a dozen times, and what happens is invariably that one of them gets brutally slaughtered by the first kobold to come along, and the other starts a tantrum spiral that takes out the fortress.

I can't imagine what you could possibly have done to make it not work. Are your kobolds super-powered? Are you not making them proficient weapon users? Were you afflicted by the uniform bug? Giving them time off?
OR, are you failing to give them a civvy skill? A military dwarf without a civvy skill will get extremely upset about being "Relieved from duty", once a month like clockwork. The only way to avoid this bad thought is to give them a civilian skill at least novice level. Plant gathering, woodcutting, pump operating, carpentery, leatherworking... anything really. If this isn't done they'll get extremely unhappy, which probably impairs training and combat effectiveness (it impairs most other things) and will also end up in tantrums.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »

Sorry, i have not read everything in case someone said this already. But in my experiences, if you make a Road, the caravans/traders will always spawn from those. Although every time i did roads that lead to the border of the map, I've always been doing them the whole map border, to make it look cooler. (they would spawn on the paved side of the map, while it was still under construction(50~% of the border paved)).

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »

OR, are you failing to give them a civvy skill? A military dwarf without a civvy skill will get extremely upset about being "Relieved from duty", once a month like clockwork.

Possible. Very, very possible.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 06:57:24 pm »

I gotta say I do take a certain perverse delight over watching 10+ dwarves pick up the parts of 1 goblin... Labor intensive but... the joy and happiness it brings is almost unmatched. Well except by a pit that goes 100+ Z levels for them to fall into. The splatter is satisfying as well.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 07:01:39 pm »

I gotta say I do take a certain perverse delight over watching 10+ dwarves pick up the parts of 1 goblin... Labor intensive but... the joy and happiness it brings is almost unmatched. Well except by a pit that goes 100+ Z levels for them to fall into. The splatter is satisfying as well.

When I do this I like to pretend my dwarfs don't even know what goblins are, its just metal, bones and gore that mystically appear from the sky-hole.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »

Yeah, but death pits seem so.... Humane in comparison. But a dwarf pulling a  "THIS IS SPARTA" on an invader would be equally satisfying

"Urist McWrestler kicks Goblin incestsomething in the chest!
He is propelled away by the force of the blow!
Goblin Incestsomething has died after colliding with the gound."

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »

Too easy.
If you want more of an engineering challenge, breach an aquifer and make it into a drowning trap.I've created ones that can be emptied and flooded with the pull of a lever and when you cut off the entrance you are invincible, truly sealed off under water and rock.
Memento Mori

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:03 pm »

Yeah, but death pits seem so.... Humane in comparison. But a dwarf pulling a  "THIS IS SPARTA" on an invader would be equally satisfying

"Urist McWrestler kicks Goblin incestsomething in the chest!
He is propelled away by the force of the blow!
Goblin Incestsomething has died after colliding with the gound."

Plus it is good training to be the kicker on a bloodbowl team.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5