Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stat training  (Read 6235 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
stat training
« on: February 22, 2012, 06:20:14 am »

What are the best ways to train your stats. I always took stats for granted because i would start out with a hero with superhuman agility, very high strength and average of all the other stats that matter (very low on the ones that don't). THen, i would work my way up to legendary and have superhuman strength and agility and be a complete badass. So, thinking myself an adventurer guru, i decided to make a charcter with very low of every stat. Using exploits and alot of savescumming, i trained him up to legendary shield user, fighter and swordsman, but his stats were still below average ad average.

Recently, i think i discovered an easy way to train strength.... wrestling. but not just any wrestling, i found that if you break a boogeyman's spine, it is completely paralysed and harmless, but it won't die, because boogeys don't breathe, so i kill all th eboogeymen but one, break its spine, then start strangling, and strangling... and strangling... until morning, when the boogey is vaporized by sunlight. This has been really improving my strength stat, but i was wondering if any fellow adventurers had ways to quickly train other stats.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: stat training
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:39:21 am »

borrow some good armor from a keep, find some tiny harmless animal, grab it to stop it from fleeing, and lie down next to it. You will get bruised somewhat, but your defensive stats and skills will thank you.

If you can find a Horseshoe Crab at the beach, I don't think you even need armor. All it can do is that basic push attack.

...Dare you to try that Boogeyman trick on a Vampire. I don't think those need to breath either, and it wont mulch when the sun comes up.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:41:36 am »

first i need to find a vampire.... and then get it to a place where we can have a private "talk". I do the shield training on bunnies thing all the time, but that skyrockets your skills, and your stats remain unaffected.

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:53:24 am »

It must be the dodging and armor skills then. I can usually get willpower and endurance from average to high by doing it, and most of my characters start with good dodge and little to no shield, so they don't block many of the hits.

Also, if you can't find or are too cowardly to use a non-breathing night creature, I bet you can grab a bunny and take it down each time it stands up. It would be slower for sure, but safer to use and simpler to find.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:55:00 am by Weirdsound »

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:48 am »

Ibixes and many monkeys also seem to make good wrestling dummies, I've found. Or really, anything that's small enough to strangle, but large enough that you don't burst arteries while doing so.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:13 am »

another thing i found out playing with very low on all stats is that most animals can outrun you, so you have to go to rivers and wrestle turtles or other slower creatures to even get shield and armor up so high.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:34 pm »

another thing i found out playing with very low on all stats is that most animals can outrun you, so you have to go to rivers and wrestle turtles or other slower creatures to even get shield and armor up so high.
Train your sneak up first and get to the point where you can walk right up next to an animal.  You can then try to grab them so they can't get away from you.  Better yet, break their kneecaps.

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »

Better yet, break their kneecaps.

Must... resist urge... to quote overused Skyrim meme!

Alternatively, you could mod in custom adventurer reactions that use whatever skill you want to increase and spam that reaction. I'm not sure if that would also improve any associated stats, though.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:21:30 pm »

-snip-
...Dare you to try that Boogeyman trick on a Vampire. I don't think those need to breath either, and it wont mulch when the sun comes up.

done :D, couldnt break the vampire's spine but i striped them of all there stuff and chopped off there hands and then just strangled them till my game messed up and my guy decided to just chop the vampire in half.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.