Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm getting slaughtered!  (Read 4233 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: I'm getting slaughtered!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:58 am »

This is insane! I've made around 15 characters, killed around 5 enemies between them all. I'm constantly being shot by arrows, even as a competent / adept dodger or shield user. All the enemies appear to be masters of combat. Could it be the world I genererated?

I'm creating all my characters as demi-gods now, and I don't stand a chance. No more fast travel?

competent?
at least skilled is usually good.
a few points in observer stop the amount of ambushes.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 11:29:09 am »

Seems I am now an unstoppable killing machine, I didn't realise stealth was going to be so powerful. I can now sneak around and take lives at will...
Is sneak bugged? I can walk to within one step, shoot someone with a bow, and nobody reacts.

mnemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »

Just get your shield-user and/or dodging skill to decent level before heading out to fight enemies with ranged weapons and you're all set, haven't had a single arrow or bolt hit me with 15+ adventurers after i started training those skills on small animals before heading out.

Also never fight with your back to an archer, they seem to get significant bonuses to hit if you "turn your back" to them by fighting enemy in another direction.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:25 pm »

Also never fight with your back to an archer, they seem to get significant bonuses to hit if you "turn your back" to them by fighting enemy in another direction.

I totally agree with this statement. I avoid turning my back to anyone in a fight, even if I have to strafe around. The second you do you're screwed.

In fact I got in a fight with a guy way above my skill level and thought I was done for when I couldn't get a hit on him, then he charged at me and I dodged and he ran past - my next attack against him was an attack from the back, a successful straight stab to the lung.

I'm interested to know if stealth is OP or not as Slazia asks.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »

i find the game itself pretty easy but then again i'v played it for a while and know what i'm doing, i rarely ever die even as a fresh adventurer.

don't open this if you don't want advice on making an adventurer.
just thought it might ruin the FUN if i went and spoiled it outside a spoiler bubble.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »

I don't know, I'm finding this game pretty easy, and I've never really even played anything but a little Arena mode before - I just read the wiki, and take the advice there.

The only nasty surprises I had was when I completely underestimated how powerful a giant tick would be (instant arm loss) and when I got surrounded by a pack of crocodiles early on.

After I figured out how to set a macro to repeatedly throw dirt at a wall and went running laps around the starting village for a few days while sneaking, and got a better sense of what creatures were what sort of threat, I feel pretty comfortable in it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »

my dwarf adventurer who is using two shields is doing quite well against bowmen as well as ranking up as a misc weapon user. Lucky two-shields the bane of mirrors tends to break a lot of bones. The fact that he just became a vampire added to the fun, since broken bones make a victim pass out, which is good for feeding.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 05:24:58 pm »

my dwarf adventurer who is using two shields is doing quite well against bowmen as well as ranking up as a misc weapon user. Lucky two-shields the bane of mirrors tends to break a lot of bones. The fact that he just became a vampire added to the fun, since broken bones make a victim pass out, which is good for feeding.

so... you ditched weapons all together?

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 05:29:40 pm »

that's what i did with my vamp... strangle/break bones/beat with shield... human vampire weapon
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson
Pages: 1 [2]