Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 261044 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 11, Week 9 - TT S4, W9
« Reply #1905 on: April 04, 2015, 04:32:25 pm »

Just finished the match

The Black Guards 1-1 landing party

Luck was certainly not on my side for most of the match, but Kansa certainly got their money's worth out of the halfling master chef. And here I thought I would have it in the bag...

Due to injuries and simple understaffing, Kansa had to get 4 (I think it was 4) loaner linemen for the game, and still had enough team value to get a HMC. The first half started with me losing all three of my rerolls to HMC, and giving them to Kansa. The Black Guards kicked off first, and landed the ball right next to the halfway line. My thrower failed to pick it up (twice, the lineman next to him failed too) and my kicking lineman got injured (dead, I apothecaried it to a -1 MV, kick is too useful to let vanish like that). The Delves expertly maneuvered to push my linemen out of the way and grab the ball, before sprinting off down the field. I couldn't stop them from scoring, my attempts to stop them failed. The half ended without further event, apart from the rain stopping.

The second half I only lost two of my three rerolls, and managed to keep the delves from breaking the line a bit longer. This time they were on the offensive and managed to nearly get to the endzone before I got several linemen into the very sparse cage that was set up. My linemen managed to knock down the ball carrier, and grabbed it, before being shoved off the field. Then, my luck turned and the ball was thrown deep into the Black Guard's side of the field, far from other players. A Dark elf lineman picked it up and another got knocked down trying to dodge out of a tackle zone. I managed to surround and knock down the ball carrier, as well as get the ball in the same turn (It flew right into the thrower's hands). The delf lineman who previously had the ball got up and another lineman moved in to surround the ball carrier before the witch elf blitzed my thrower, only getting a push. I got one of my ulfwerners to blitz in and managed to down all the delf players surrounding the ball and ran it for the endzone, scoring and tying the game.

A fun, slightly panicked game. Not going to pretend luck didn't factor in, I got double skulls twice and if even one of the important blocks at the end had come up "defender down" I would've lost, but all in all a fun match.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: April 04, 2015, 11:18:29 pm »

The Daemons continue their reign as the most feared yet most worthless team on the pitch (barring the halflings). The Daemons started off strong, but with a stupid rookie mistake (in part caused by the fact the freaking BT fills up the entire screen with his wings) they tripped away their shot at a score in the first half. By the second half there was only 6 of them left, and while the BT tried his best, there wasn't much to be done. Another stupid mistake threw away my last hail-mary chance to stop a score as well, and the Ogres cinched up the score 1-0. After the kickoff a KO removed my last chance of a TD, and the last few turns were spent ineffectively hitting each other. I've got 3 players out next game, one probably permanently, so that game is weighed highly in favor of Cryptfiend with me missing a fair chunk of my ability to deal with high STR players (of which the lizards have many).

To be honest I really just want theses seasons to be over so I can bring up a team that has an actual shot at accomplishing things. My elf team is the first team I've had that has managed to not be in a horrible fight for the very last playoff spot (of which half of them have failed at making it to the playoffs, and the other half have also failed, but then had the person who actually got last quit our league :P) and it's a pretty nice feeling.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: April 05, 2015, 07:04:08 pm »

All Matches have been validated and the main league has advanced to its final week!

Week Ten Match-ups are:
i2amroy - The Daemoning! vs Criptfiend - Scaly and Lazy
THE_SLAYA - Slashing Slayers vs monk12 - Monk's Mafioso
Kanil - Ill-Timed Boners vs Raddish - Da Green Thwack'rs

Let me know if there are any scheduling issues, the league will advance next Monday.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 11, Week 10 - TT S4, W9
« Reply #1908 on: April 06, 2015, 03:58:13 am »

I play my match with Crieptfiend today, so I though I'd do some late AAR on my last game.

Anyways, Sinistar - The Jolly Waaaaagh!abonds vs monk12 - Monk's Mutineers resulted in a 0 : 1 for monk12.

After pulling a draw a match before that, me and monk12 set to play our game on Monday. After some bad dice rolls, my luck turned, I even managed to badly injure one of his vamps (-AV, was it?) and finally snatched the ball 5 or 6 turns into the first half... only for my GPU to die on me. Been having problems before that, but was hoping it'd manage... maybe I shouldn't alt-tab to desktop. Maybe I shouldn't run SpeedFan after alt-tabbing. Maybe I shouldn't fiddle with GPU fan speed ater that. OR maybe it was all inevitable and my luck just turned! And just when the things were starting to go well for me! Alas, it was not meant to be, and thus we tried again the next day, with Nuffle blessing monk12 this time around.

Nah, seriously, while I COULD whine about not getting yellows when I needed and my black orcs thus spending a lot of their time ineffectively pushing people around (and getting knocked-down by mere thralls in return, the humility!) in all honesty monk12 just played better. Not to mention he himself suffered few bad rolls (and myself getting few miraculous ones).
Anyways, my memory is a bit hazy already, but here's the gist of what happened: for a start, I brought a blodwiser babe and some cheering fans to the match. Can't remember who received the ball first but Thursday's first half ended in a 0 : 0. There's been a lot of back-and-forth grumbling and mean stares round the center of the pitch, with re-rolls going off like crazy and with monk12 successfully grabbing the ball at one point, but me in turn successfully stopping him from scoring. Near the end, my 6th or 7th turn I think, I've found myself in a position where I could actually pull a 2-turn touchdown - the ball was dropped and lot's of my orcs around ready to rumble with a relatively clean, diagonal path towards monk12's TD zone. Such operation would of course not go unchallenged by monk12, I'm sure, but Nuffle got other plans anyways. All I had to do to fully secure the picking up of the ball was blitz one thrall, alas, I payed the ultimate price of receiving a skull and both down as a dice result. That's what I get when I try to play lucky with 0 re-rolls and a guy without block. For some reason I get a lot in situations where I can envision 1 or 2 turn TD, but I always mess them up, hehe.

The second turn started with me kicking (that means I got the ball first last turn, then, huh), sending the ball deep into monk12's territory. A steady punch-out ensued, but try as I might, I couldn't stop the ball carrier to near ever so closely to my TD zone. Even one of my black orcs was fouled at some point, but much to my delight apothecary managed to turn his -AV (or -ST?) to a mere "badly injured". At one point I've manged to break free some of my orcs from the center-pitch brawl and even blitzed the ball-carrying vampire. If I remember correctly, I actually succeeded in making him drop the ball... but his buddy vamp that with one or two thralls was part of the defensive cage, picked up the ball regardless and scored one and only TD of the game.

It was the third drive that my cheering fans brought me some luck, as some big guy in the crowd decided to throw a boulder against the monk12's players! Coincidentally, it hit and send off the field the thrall that fouled my black orc, so justice was served, I guess. But despite that and having an open foul season, I haven't been able to at least pull a draw, even when at one point I had a pure Chariots-on-fire-theme-song opportunity to do so. Alas, my tactic of leaving my +1 ST blitzer behind my lines for the sole purpose of him being forgotten about didn't turn in my favor. Who would have thought. Instead, after successfully bashing some filthy bloodsucker and thrall skulls AND grabbing the ball in the process, I've decided to dodge my ball carrier out of one vamps tackle zone to make a run towards TD... unsuccessfully, of course. Spending my re-roll preemptively didn't help, probably.

All in all, I am quite content overall. I think I've played quite well given the skills I have. Naturally, in such case every mistake I've made was even more glaring and facepalm-worthy, but I'm satisfied. I have one more black orc with block and one more lvl 2 blitzer with tackle, though I wanted to have a team of dodge blitzers... but it will do. On to meet the chaos hordes today!  :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: April 06, 2015, 09:21:14 am »

Alas, my tactic of leaving my +1 ST blitzer behind my lines for the sole purpose of him being forgotten about didn't turn in my favor. Who would have thought.

Hee hee, I laughed.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: April 06, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

I TOLD you there was a very specific reason why he stayed at the back for the whole drive! It's a legitimate strategy I'm sure many Blood Bowl players used at least once. :P
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: April 06, 2015, 05:08:23 pm »

Cripts Clobbers 1-0 The Jolly Waaaaagh!abonds

This was a pretty intense game, with a lot of back and fourth and tense moments. The orcs block vs my no block was a serious issue, and the game came down to one of the craziest endings I've seen in a game thus far.

It started with me receiving the ball, a touchback put it in the hands of my movement value beasty and I moved up the right as my line punched forward into the black orcs. I punched though the orcs on the right, but not quick enough to prevent them from getting reinforcements from the middle, which they were winning the fight at, they had a net around my forward advance, and I put my ball carrier in a somewhat stupid spot near the edge, allowing a orc to blitz in with two dice and send me down for the count. The ball fell to the floor and there was a scrabble to pick it up, it bounced around a bit, It eventually bounced into a place where I was able to push the orcs back for a moment and pick it up with a beastman, who passed it back to the movement beastman who ran it in for a touchdown.

In the second drive the orcs pushed forward, I put a loose formation around their tight cage to slow them down as much as possible, with the advance stalled and only a short time left the orcs did not manage to move forward in time to score, and the half ended 1-0 in my favor.

In the second half the orcs received, getting a high kick and moving their strength 4 blocker under it, who caught the ball and moved forward, once again I loosely surrouned their cage to slow them down. Eventually the blocker made a break for the right hand side, and I sent in some guys to try to surround him, although I was unable to get a block on him. He punched back out of the surround though and ran back to the stronger black orc cage on the left, when I failed to chase after him he broke though my weakened lines on the left and pushed his blocker forward. The lines of skirmish started to dissolve, I hammered on his carrier with beastmen for two turns, but in exchange lost the rest of the pitch to the blackorcs, I eventually managed to use all my rerolls to knock the ball lose, but it was too little too late as the orcs moved in. The ball bounced free and was surrounded by blackorcs. Another orc picked it up, and I managed to blitz him down as well, but then the black orcs knocked out all of my men on the ball, a orc grabbed it up and ran, with only one turn to go, he was in easy scoring range and there were no chaos in range to blitz him.

No Chaos but a single beastman, a third of the pitch away on the other side of the group of black orcs. This beastmen dodged three times around a blackorc and then sprinted though two go for its before hitting the orc carrier, getting a both down that secured the chaos victory.

Crazy game, and, looking at it, I really got quite lucky in a few critical moments. Still, I'll take it! Two of my men are going to have to miss the next game, one with a fractured leg and one with a broken jaw, so I think I can probably expect to not last long in the playoffs. Still, it was quite a ending!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: April 07, 2015, 01:46:07 am »

And I ain't even mad! I am a tiny bit sad the final result was a product of luck, but in all honesty, even if you didn't pass those dodges, my ball carrier would have to make two go-for-its without any re-rolls so the final score would be decided by luck anyways. But it did make for some damn entertaining finish and that's what is also needed in Blood Bowl!  :)
AND my search for a perfect Chariots on fire moment has finally bear fruit.  :P

All in all I'm content with how I played, but could be better. The game started silly to begin with, me kicking in such a weird way the ball bounced back into MY front line and being grabbed successfully by a freakin black orc. Naturally, the ball was taken from me by the game and put into beastman's hands. First proper mistake was probably not making a strong front line, putting just 3 black orc against 4 chaos guys + minotaur. Sloppy. Further on, I did some silly maneuvers, moving orcs in wrong order or placing them where I couldn't use them properly. Or not paying attention to Criptfiend's players. I was in a pretty good position a turn before first TD. When I blitzed the ball carrier, the ball actually tumbled beneath one of my orcs standing by, but I failed to pick it up. At that point, I decided NOT to re-roll, despite the fact that I could, because I didn't think opposing team's players could do much with it and didn't want to waste a re-roll... But that's a mistake I will do my best not to repeat again. I forgot to check if any of Criptfiend's players can actually make a run for the TD and I payed dearly. Serves me right.

The second drive I got the ball by the luck of it being kicked out. Formed a cage, but Criptfiend quickly and most effectively locked me up. We spent few turns bashing each other up, by ball carrier was knocked down at one point but with some luck I got my hands on the ball again. Trying to escape that wall of chaos on my left half, I've made one successful pass and run for it... deciding to capitalize on this further by passing the ball to the next guy. The plan was the next guy would drive the ball into chaos territory with some help of a soon-to-be-formed cage. But apparently you can't pass the ball after you've moved? Or can't pass it twice? Or pass, then move then pass? Dunno, really. How do I rules etc. Anyways, my guy couldn't pass the ball to an orc standing right next to him, I could only do a 3+ throw. Which I failed. Herpa derpa.

The first half was over more or less after that, the second was pretty much as Criptfiend described it, with some greedy plays on my part, but also a very similar situation of me with a ball being locked up by the chaos on my left side of the pitch. I broke free again, but after some more punching around, that was pretty much it. Also worth mentioning is after the miraculous beastman blitz, the very final round of the match ended early with a minotaur rolling 3 reds.

So yeah, could be better, but I'll take it. I've had some silly amount of luck, I must admit. The minotaur spent a lot of time being a wild animal so I had that going, not to mention some lucky rolls (and also 2 reds twice in a match, both times successfully re-rolled). On to final round, now.

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: April 07, 2015, 01:31:33 pm »

Trying to escape that wall of chaos on my left half, I've made one successful pass and run for it... deciding to capitalize on this further by passing the ball to the next guy. The plan was the next guy would drive the ball into chaos territory with some help of a soon-to-be-formed cage. But apparently you can't pass the ball after you've moved? Or can't pass it twice? Or pass, then move then pass? Dunno, really. How do I rules etc. Anyways, my guy couldn't pass the ball to an orc standing right next to him, I could only do a 3+ throw. Which I failed. Herpa derpa.

As far as passing the ball, you can only make one pass and one hand-off per turn. You also won't be able to pass if the person with the ball threw block dice that turn.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: April 07, 2015, 02:59:41 pm »

Ah, I see. So all those few moments in past game where I found myself thinking I can score a touchdown if I can only pass 2 or three times in a row were doomed to failure from the start. Well, the more I know.

Ever since games stopped coming with printed manuals I just lost the pleasure of reading them.  :P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: April 07, 2015, 03:33:42 pm »

Ah, I see. So all those few moments in past game where I found myself thinking I can score a touchdown if I can only pass 2 or three times in a row were doomed to failure from the start. Well, the more I know.

Ever since games stopped coming with printed manuals I just lost the pleasure of reading them.  :P

Amen to that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: April 08, 2015, 12:17:59 am »

The Fightin Fairies continued to live up to their name in their game with THE_SLAYA, scoring in some 4 injuries and a KO in the first half (and without the help of the Deku tree, who was KO'd before their first turn) while only suffering a handful of KO's and stuns themselves (and scoring 1 TD). The Sven's scored on turn 8 at the end of the second half, tying the game. At the start of the second half however, they were looking at going 6v11 without an apothecary or either of their 4 STR berserkers and having to kick to the Fairies. Noting that a spot in the playoffs was already locking in place, they decided to simply concede the game rather than risk further MNG on permanent injuries for their team, giving a final score of 3-1.

End results had two of my players leveling up, one lineman (who became my third wrestler), and Ciela, my strip ball wardancer, who rolled a +AGI :D. Look out Remuthra, I'll be seeing you in the first round of the playoffs!
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: April 08, 2015, 08:23:19 am »

Wait, I'm in the playoffs?

Well, at least I have Guard, now. Not that the dice won't murder me horribly.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: April 08, 2015, 02:28:59 pm »

Yeah, the OP for the training league is a tiny bit out of date. All the games there have been played but the monk vs. Raddish one, and they both have enough points that the only difference they will make is if Raddish wins Monk and Cyrptfiend will both move down a position and Raddish will move up 2. 8 slots, and you just barely squeezed in in spot number 8 (Of course you are going to have 590k in inducements :P).

Also I find it hilarious that with Shadowing on my +MV wardancer Navi it's almost impossible for you to run away from her (even assuming you could somehow dodge reliably). She's got an ~93% chance of successfully shadowing your runners, and an ~98% chance of pulling it off on anyone else on your team. :D
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 149