Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 261287 times)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 7, Week 2
« Reply #735 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:14 pm »

Thoughts: The last good while with Kobb's Khorne has felt like two steps forward, three steps back. My front line is now the weak point, and I suspect I'll be having to play the team like they're elves for a bit and hope to regain enough experience to field a solid front again.
You mean the way I play elves (BLITZ ALL THE THINGS) or the way you should play elves?
If you've got a way to BLITZ ALL THE THINGS, as most of my players have horns, I'd love to learn how to do it. :-)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #736 on: April 08, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »

So I got absolutely hammered in my match. Only 1-0 loss, but two died and one can't play next match. My thrower couldn't pick up the ball, nor could he throw it once he got it... From now on, my team is known as Skaven in Disguise.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 08, 2013, 05:19:39 pm »

...Despite a 4-0 victory and some really dirty play by the Other Kittens (because Going For It and dodging just to try and kill my only veteran skink is hardly anything but malice), there's nothing like bringing in the new season with three losses over two games and not getting enough money to replace said fatalities.

This season is fairly bloody already. This does not bode well.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »

...Despite a 4-0 victory and some really dirty play by the Other Kittens (because Going For It and dodging just to try and kill my only veteran skink is hardly anything but malice), there's nothing like bringing in the new season with three losses over two games and not getting enough money to replace said fatalities.
I confess, it was a fairly mean thing to attempt (though that dang skink kept dodging! :P).

As for my opinion of the match I think it went fairly well and I managed to get through it without any permanent injuries or deaths (with the exception of my rent-a-minotaur, who keeled over fairly quickly). Sadly the one death that was inflicted on a skink didn't net me a new rotter due to their stunty ability, but all-in-all I consider the match a success when you consider it was a brand new nurgle team against a veteran one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2013, 06:41:01 pm »

I still think you'd have been better off boxing the fuck up, trotting downfield and at least scoring one touchdown. In terms of denial you were always in a good position to stop me from picking up, because the first touchdown only came about from a 6+ pickup, precisely from Disturbing Presence.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2013, 07:38:35 pm »

I still think you'd have been better off boxing the fuck up, trotting downfield and at least scoring one touchdown. In terms of denial you were always in a good position to stop me from picking up, because the first touchdown only came about from a 6+ pickup, precisely from Disturbing Presence.
I considered this up to about touchdown number 3. The main problem that I ran into with the idea was that due to your Sauruses (Sauri?) having the Guard ability it was almost impossible for me to form a box. Once two Sauri teamed up it was nigh impossible for me to have anything better then a two die roll in your favor for taking them out, so my players just ended up sticking to them like flypaper. And once they were stuck the only way to free them was to send in more players to give bonuses, at which point another Saurus would come ambling over and stick everyone into place. Twice I remember trying to form a box, only to find that 2/3rds of my team was stuck in your tackle zones and unable to escape. 5 Sauri could just about cover the whole field, and the instant I tried to move in any direction your guys would just start pushing their way through mine and there wasn't much I could do about it. (That's also the reason why I resorted to attempting to kill your skinks by the end of the game, since they were the only thing I could hit that was better then a one-die block roll.)

On that note if you have any suggestions of how to counter that I'd be glad for them, considering this is only like my 6th BB game ever.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:47:28 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 08, 2013, 08:11:39 pm »

That would explain a lot of things.

The bigger thing to remember is that without the Break Tackle skill, a saurus can be tied up very, very easily, or force me to waste a block or blitz elsewhere. AG1 fucking sucks. Only two of them even have guard, though, one being the kroxigor who's prone to unreliability between bone'ead and loner. Between that and a charging pestigor getting effectively ST4, and there's a lot of muscle to cover.

If you want to tie them up next time, sic rotters on them. Can't dodge, have to tackle them down even if it's at an advantage. They're also likely to die fairly quickly with Decay, so they're rather definitely fodder... but that's probably what you should be using them for. Tying up others so the warriors can exert pressure where it's needed to break away opposition.

If the minotaur hadn't died, that would have made things much more difficult. ST6 is pretty nasty to have to deal with.

Thinking about it, I suppose trying to go for blocks rather than just going for movement supression was an issue. You don't really want to throw bodies at getting a krox down, or other big guy, since they generally have weaknesses in terms of stupidity or lonerness. Tying down saurusses would have been enough, because it takes a lot of skinks for reliable blocks, and you can limit their effectiveness with a few well-placed players to cover. At worst you'll probably face a 1D block, and more likely 2D defender chooses.

Point is: saurus' major weakness is the lack of agility and skills, and they can be stopped fairly easily if you don't mind taking a few blocks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:34 pm »

That makes sense! Thanks for the advice. :)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2013, 08:32:50 pm »

Disturbing presence doesn't affect pick-up rolls.

Consider reading about marking, and about caging, and about anything else you feel like there.

If you want, you can send me the replay and if there's any turns in particular you'd like me to look at, I can perhaps explain where you went wrong.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2013, 08:48:17 pm »

...Oh, right. I was thinking of a hand-off, which it does affect.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:57 pm »

It affects all pass, catch, and interception rolls. So all ball handling that isn't the pick-up.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 08, 2013, 09:03:05 pm »

Consider reading about marking, and about caging, and about anything else you feel like there.

If you want, you can send me the replay and if there's any turns in particular you'd like me to look at, I can perhaps explain where you went wrong.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I've got it down. I've already read all the "All Purpose" articles on there, I just am still learning about a few of the various races and their respective strengths/weaknesses/counter strategies, as well as learning to keep track of all the various rules and their applications (case in point: I forgot that the Sauri's low AGI would make it difficult for them to get away from units). Give me a few more games to finish instilling everything I need into my head and I should be able to play with the best of them. ;D

Jartol

• Bay Watcher
  • In Kanil's Closet
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 08, 2013, 09:13:18 pm »

Well... I've got some bad news. You play the best of them next week.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 08, 2013, 10:05:01 pm »

Well... I've got some bad news. You play the best of them next week.

What do you mean? I don't play him until week six! (that surely won't give me any bad luck)

Incidentally, what's the status of the remaining games this week?

Jartol

• Bay Watcher
  • In Kanil's Closet
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 08, 2013, 10:06:15 pm »

I play him in week 11, but didn't want to scare him too much.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 149