Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 261060 times)

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 11, Week 7 - TT S4, W7
« Reply #1875 on: March 13, 2015, 02:27:38 pm »

I can safely say it has got to the point where in general I am not currently enjoying playing Blood Bowl.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: March 13, 2015, 02:35:48 pm »

Well... We sorta played our game. It kinda ended in

Da Green Thwack'rs 0-3 Scaly and Lazy

It started out with the orcs receiving the ball and piledriving forward into the lizardman line, sending many of them to eat the dirt. The ball carrier approached the right hand side, and the fighting there intensified as orc and lizard both clustered around the area in a effort to gain or maintain control over the ball. A lizardman blitzed the ball carrier, but failed to send him down, and the lizards were pushed back and the ball carrier retreated a few squares. But then the orcs troll gave in to his own stupidity, and the flank that he was guarding was suddenly wide open. A bunch of lizards ran up the back of the orc group and blitzed the ball carrier to the ground, a skink picked up the ball from under the eyes of a blackorc and then danced away, within range of a easy touchdown next turn. The orcs responded, pushing some lizardmen around, they managed to put three orcs surrounding the skink, and pinning down the rest of the lizard team. However, the skink made a heroic three dodges past his orc entourage and into the goal for the first point of the match!

With only three turns left in the half, the orcs were looking to tie the score for a easier win the second. To that end they brought out their goblin, put him next to the troll and passed the ball to him. However, the troll failed to even pick up the goblin, and with the resulting turn over leaving too many of the lizardmen free they blitzed the goblin down and a skink managed to once again recover the ball under the eyes of a black orc.

At this point though my opponent gave up on the game, saying he was sick of blood bowl. And then just ended all his turns immediately. I pushed his guys around a bit and got a few more goals and then it ended.

So. I guess. Yeah.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1877 on: March 13, 2015, 03:21:16 pm »

Raddish: if it makes you feel any better - I've been there. I've seriously considered just leaving the training league and BB as whole for a while after my match with wood elves (which I abandoned too, as I really wasn't feeling like playing that time...)

I got out of this mindset by simply deciding I don't care anymore. Any win I get is great, but I'm also completely fine with loosing all future matches 16-0.

Dunno if this will help you but it did help me. Taking it easy and all that, you know.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 13, 2015, 03:29:49 pm »

I get though the ups and downs of blood bowl by, when I lose, telling myself that my opponents were just lucky and I was unlucky, and when I win telling myself it was 100% skill.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 13, 2015, 03:34:46 pm »

Raddish: if it makes you feel any better - I've been there. I've seriously considered just leaving the training league and BB as whole for a while after my match with wood elves (which I abandoned too, as I really wasn't feeling like playing that time...)

I got out of this mindset by simply deciding I don't care anymore. Any win I get is great, but I'm also completely fine with loosing all future matches 16-0.

Dunno if this will help you but it did help me. Taking it easy and all that, you know.
Also, playing some other games in the meantime would help, maybe take a season off and let blood bowl fervor build up again, or play a single player match or two and stomp the AI to get your spirit back... Not sure if that's good advice for blood bowl specifically but it's helped me with other games...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 13, 2015, 03:56:19 pm »

In Blood Bowl as in most games, I get around losing by embracing it as a learning experience. Particularly in risk management games like Blood Bowl or any given roguelike, I usually wind up reviewing my actions until I hit one that would have prevented the conditions that lead to the loss (e.g one of my Ogres going Bonehead might have killed the play, but a turn or two earlier I could have done something to keep the entire play from hinging on the Bonehead roll of a single Ogre.) Of course, one of the reasons I generally prefer FUMBBL is because the replay system isn't complete bollocks, which makes that process easier.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 13, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »

I think my issue stems from my undead team.  My orc team generally is fun to play but the undead team is pointless.

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: March 13, 2015, 06:36:36 pm »

SLAYA's SVENs 2-0 Monk's Mutineers

Another quality win for the Norse. The game was fairly one sided to to some good early rolls removing a few thralls and the +STR vampire from the pitch with KO's and Casualties (including one dead thrall). The Mutineers almost managed to stop the SVENs from scoring at the end of the first half but SVEN the magnificent was a little too magnificent and ran the ball in for a turn 8 TD. The vampire didn't wake up leaving Monk severely out-manned and out-gunned for the second half. On turn 10 the SVENs removed the other vampire from the game and stalled out the remaining turns feeding passing SPP to their berserkers. The Norse almost made a costly mistake when trying to feed SPP to a werewolf via passing (not the smartest idea in hindsight). The werewolf scattered the launch, resulting in the ball landing behind the end zone, being throw to the side of the pitch, and then being thrown five squares from the vampire's end zone! Luckily, with only 3 well marked thralls left on the pitch, there wasn't much monk could do to score. The SVENs managed to get a turn 16 TD with a hand-off and a pass.

In post-game leveling, both berserkers and the level 2 (now 3) wolf leveled up giving the SVENs some more power and reliability (+STR on a berserker, MB on the wolf, and tackle on the other berserker). SVEN the magnificent now has over 500 running yards and is on pace for the best season in recorded bay 12 history. GGWP Monk, I'll see you in the play-offs!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: March 13, 2015, 07:56:37 pm »

Speaking of "Losing is Fun," I completed the double header of futility with an 0-2 trouncing at the hands of the Daemoning. They're a tough out for halflings to begin with with their copious block, tackle, dauntless, and a Bloodthirster who can go toe to toe with a tree no problem. Things started rough with a dead halfling and a BH halfling off the pitch before they got an opportunity to do anything, followed shortly by a KO'd Morg. A tree rooted on the opposite side of Morg, and the first half quickly devolved into a rout down the weak side of the halfling formation. The second half went a little better as trees on the offensive managed some KOs and some fouls from the Dirty Player halfling helped keep the player removal even, but a misguided effort to preserve rerolls (the HMC was only good for one reroll all game, that in the second half) led to me not picking up the ball on the first turn, which kept me from getting back to the formation on the second turn, which ultimately let Otherplayers get a Pit Fighter screen between my ballcarrier and the rest of the team. A failed dodge put the ball on the ground in front of the Khorne and with nothing to stop them from taking a 2-0 lead.

Rookie halfling caught MVP in that match, and the journeyman Thrall caught it after the Vampire match, so nothing much in the way of team development this time around (vampires do finally get an apothecary as well as a bit of a bench though.) The Halflings are firmly in last place in the main league and with three games to play are longshots for a playoff appearance, my first ever miss. The Vampires are still in fine position to make a postseason run, however, although this loss basically knocks them out of contention for the #1 seed.

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: March 13, 2015, 08:15:27 pm »

All Main League matches have been played and the week has advanced!

Week Eight:
Raddish - Da Green Thwack'rs vs i2amroy - The Daemoning!
Kanil - Ill-Timed Boners vs monk12 - Monk's Mafioso
THE_SLAYA - Slashing Slayers vs Criptfiend - Scaly and Lazy

I'll be advancing the week on the 30th of March or as soon as all the games are played. I'll be out of town and offline until the 23rd after tomorrow so if there are any issues I may not be able to resolve them until I get back.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 11, Week 8 - TT S4, W7
« Reply #1885 on: March 13, 2015, 09:15:34 pm »

On the losing note, along with the basic ideas of looking at losses as learning opportunities, stomping computers occasionally, etc., I found two things that really helped me.
1) Playing a training league team that was one of the ones that you expect to loose like halflings or ogres. In my case I chose ogres, and the team was unlucky enough that I actually ended up totally remaking the team in the middle of the season. :P The fun then lies in being able to laugh at how horribly screwed your team is despite their many losses, while also getting to laugh when you do pull off some crazy big play and manage to score one of the rare touchdowns. (And since the team isn't too important you don't have to worry too much about the players being killed or hurt).
2) Switching from the main type of team you are used to playing. Normally play bashy teams? Try out a wood elf one. Normally run agility teams? Give the dwarves a try. Sometimes it's nice to just swap playstyles, and who knows, you might be able to win some games in the new style (I know I certainly have with this latest wood elf team).

And if you're still having trouble winning I'd suggest checking out some of the many articles on bbtactics. I know it sounds silly, but I know that simply reading some of their articles on cage basics, the 6 move one-turn touchdown, and the "How to Beat Elves/Dwarves" articles have certainly helped me out a ton. (The how to beat Elves/Dwarves articles especially helped me, since they apply more broadly on how to beat [or play] a bashy/agility team in general). Additionally if you ever seem like you keep running into a specific problem over and over you can always feel free to post here about it. I know that I've gotten some advice before that was quite helpful to my overall strategy here.

That said the most important thing is mostly to just stick with it as much as you can. We were all beginners or novices at one point (except Kanil, who's we all know has been a pro forever :P) and we know how you are feeling.

And Re: Undead team being pointless, if that's the case and you're going to drop them after the season anyways then I'd suggest playing them like they were going to lose anyways and you don't really care about them. Take a few more of those high payoff single die blocks at the end of your turns, throw out a few more fouls on downed players, go for that dodge+blitz. The worst that can happen is that you fail and lose anyways, and the best that can happen is you end up taking enough enemies off the field that you win. (Not to say play totally suicidally, but I find there's usually at least 1-2 plays every turn that you normally wouldn't do since they only have a 50% or less chance of success that you can take. If they fail you're screwed, but you were screwed anyways, so things can only go up from there!).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 14, 2015, 06:57:01 am »

Well the Undead have a 3 - 3 win loss rate so they are not bad I guess.  I just don't feel like they are getting anywhere.  I mean I had to be rid of a ghoul because he ended up with 2 -STRs.  And none of my bashier players are hurting anything right now, for either team.

I think I just had more fun with the versatility of the Delves I had.  Though a little reworking and my orcs might be effective again.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 20, 2015, 03:01:24 pm »

Cript's Clobberers 1-1 landing party

The game was mostly played in the midfield this time, a lot of punching but surprisingly few injuries.

Cript got 180,000 in inducements, which he spent on a wizard and cheering fans. The first half started with the landing party receiving. The ball flew out of bounds and was handed off to a front line berserker due to me trying to chat and missing my chance to hand it to a player I would actually want to have it. I quickly got him out of the front line and caged up and punches were thrown. My berserker managed to escape the rapid breaking of his cage and got behind two linemen, before a meteor fell from the sky and knocked the ball out of his hands. A lineman immediately caught it and then got punched out by a billy goat gruff beastman who then grabbed the ball. The beastman then ran past my defensive line and got punched out by someone else (I think it was just a lineman) then my thrower got the ball. After much dodging and weaving the thrower scored a touchdown on a go-for-it. Then the clobberers got one turn to knock my players around before half time.

For the second half, the dodge beastman grabbed the ball and managed to slip through my defensive line, after punching through the defending Norse. they cleared a path and got to scoring reach, then ran the ball in, leveling the game. The next drive I had 4 turns to get a goal for the win, and managed to get my runner to grab the ball and he handed it off to a lineman without incident. Tragically, the lineman was struck by lightning and dropped the ball once he got past the Chaos defensive line. A chaos warrior grabbed the ball and held onto it until the game ended.

Fairly even for most of the game, as many players getting downed on my team as on Cript's. A few bad rolls forced me to turn over, but that's the game (and the risk of one die blocks, though 4x skulls did happen once). The wizard seems like it was a good investment on Cript's part, stopping my ball carrier dead one turn away from a touchdown...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 20, 2015, 03:29:56 pm »

Twas a fun game, good to be getting back into blood bowl after this break. And now I've got enough cash for a minotaur! (Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the beasty and it's coming a bit late in the season.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: March 23, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »

Monk's Mafioso manage a somewhat unsatisfying 1-1 draw against Kanil's Ill-timed Boners. Kanil likely would have won this, but in the waning moments of the match he chain pushed a halfling into his snotling ballcarrier to spring him for the go-ahead TD, but due to a bug the snotling was not allowed to use sidestep and was instead crowdsurfed. I THINK what happened was that the Ogre had Grab which for some stupid reason canceled Sidestep on his own snotling he indirectly shoved, so y'all watch out for that tricky situation. Or maybe Nuffle just thought it would be really funny if the ballcarrier got surfed right then.

The draw likely knocks us both out of playoff contention, but delicious snotling SPP gives both of my trees their first levelup- Break Tackle all around!
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 149