Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 261136 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 10, Finals - TT S3, Finals
« Reply #1710 on: January 14, 2015, 11:47:43 am »

So I've been thinking about my team composition for the next training league, Re: Chaos. Minotaur or no Minotaur?

Thinking about the Minotaur I can see it ether being a killer or a road block, and I'm really not impressed with it's killing capability, it might be only a step behind the bloodthirster for killing potential, but I feel like chaos, out of all the teams, doesn't need to be more killy (also I'm not really impressed with killing for it's own sake compared to actually winning the game, and I feel like the roadblock minotaur looks better at actually winning the game). Also although it's road block abilities are (very) impressive, but wild animal seems to really want to hurt that possibility. At least if my Krox boneheads I didn't lose my blitz. With the fact that my guys are probably too expensive to start with a minotaur anyway combined beastmen being perfectly good at fighting, so you don't have the lizardman situation of being outnumbered 2-1 if you don't have your big guy... It seems really attractive to me to never take the minotaur.

I'd be really afraid of fast teams being able to just run past me since my dudes are so much slower then I am used to, and a tentaclely minotaur seems like he could do a lot to put a stop to that... But I dunno... Any advice?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 14, 2015, 11:56:28 am »

When I played Chaos in a cut-short league, I found the minotaur to be mostly just a waste of points. Chaos Warriors are awesome as they tend to be and the fact that you can get a 2-die blitz almost anywhere on the field thanks to beastmen meant that I just didn't have much use for the big guy. Much rather get more rerolls and stuff. I guess you'd get one eventually but early on I just don't see the reason for it.

edit:
If you can spare it, leave a beastman downfield. There's a decent chance they can 2d blitz any lone carrier that gets through the line.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 14, 2015, 12:34:29 pm »

The minotaur is just about the best roadblock in the game (WA doesn't remove your TZs, can get prehensile tail) and the alternative is another beastman when you've already got at least 6. I know they're multipurpose, but at some point you run out of specializations for them. Furthermore, none of your other players are particularly good at roadblocking.

150 TV is a lot for a player that mostly just stands there and makes the occasional low-risk block, and depending upon your team/playstyle you might not get your TV's worth. That's pretty much the only concern I'd have with a minotaur.

'course, working him into your starting roster is probably not worth it -- you give up a CW and a reroll at a time where both are extremely valuable.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 15, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

The championship match featuring Monk's Morons vs My Mummie's Mummies is currently scheduled for Friday, Friday, Friday at 3pm MST (5pm EST)

Will the Ogres complete the upset of the century and grind Khemri bones to make their bread? Or will THE_SLAYA boast the second team in Bay12 history to win back to back championships? BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS

Do they really need to buckle their seatbelts? We aren't gonna be moving very fast, xD

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 15, 2015, 09:32:13 pm »

The championship match featuring Monk's Morons vs My Mummie's Mummies is currently scheduled for Friday, Friday, Friday at 3pm MST (5pm EST)

Will the Ogres complete the upset of the century and grind Khemri bones to make their bread? Or will THE_SLAYA boast the second team in Bay12 history to win back to back championships? BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS

Do they really need to buckle their seatbelts? We aren't gonna be moving very fast, xD

Hey, it's not the speed that kills you, it's the acceleration, and Ogres and Khemri are known for coming to a... 8) dead halt

RE: Minotaur, certainly for a more developed Chaos squad (maybe even an early purchase to feed him MVPs as quickly as possible) for much the same reasons Kanil stated, and much like Kanil said on a starting roster I'd certainly leave him out in favor of Chaos Warrior/Rerolls, since those will be more important for winning early games and you're quite unlikely to be overmatched in the ST department. So I guess I'm just saying "Kanil is right, I just like the sound of my own voice."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 16, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »

Monk's Mountebanks defeat The Green Thwack'rs 2-1 in the Training League Final!

The Orcs received the ball, and a Pitch Invasion saw half the players on the field go down stunned (mostly on the Skaven side.) The Orcs attempted to leverage this into a loose cage with Guard spread out among the prone Skaven, but the long distance their Thrower had to run gave the Skaven just enough time to get back up and sneak a few Gutter Runners in front of the Orc advance, ultimately stealing the ball and moving up the right side. A poorly timed double skull gave the Mountebanks the window they needed to squeak ahead and chuck the ball to a waiting lineman who ran in the game's first TD, 1-0.

With only a few turns left in the half, the Orcs went into hurryup to try and equalize before kicking to the Skaven in the second half. However, the thrower fumbled the ball on an attempted long pass, letting aggressive Skaven Gutter Runners push him away, snatch up the ball, and score a second time to bring the halftime score to 2-0.

The Skaven received to start the second half, and with their trademark naked aggression attempted a quick TD to put the nail in the coffin, bringing a cage up to the LoS and pushing some blitzers downfield to create gaps to sneak through. However, with their inducements the Orcs had bought a Wizard, who gleefully lobbed a fireball at the cage and took down the ballcarrier and the cage corners. Orc fists flew, but it seemed for nought when a Gutter Runner got free deep down the side of the field holding the ball, the endzone tantalizingly close. The Orc Thrower who fumbled in the first half saved the day however, making a dodge to knock down and stun the Skaven ballcarrier and then making a GFI to mark the ball, a prudent move when the subsequent Skaven attempt to lift the ball failed to get it free of the heroic thrower. The aforementioned flying Orc fists had done good work, notably forcing a (successful) Apothecary use on the Rat Ogre, and the Orcs managed to get the ball and move down the pitch to score with 3 turns left in the match, 2-1.

Clearly, if you read the first line you know nobody scored again. The Skaven ignored the more popular definition of insanity and attempted to force the ball downfield once more, getting quite close to the endzone, but a rangy Black Orc smashed down the Gutter Runner near the sideline, and the resulting throw in put the ball squarely in the center of Orc territory. Unfortunately, there was not enough time remaining for the Orcs to capitalize, and the game ended on the first dodge of a rather improbable play.

A good final for the successful Skaven. My current leaning for next season is Vampires in TT and Halflings in main, I think. Hopefully I'll get a chance at triple post madness when I play THE_SLAYA later this evening for a shot at the main league title!

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 16, 2015, 04:50:31 pm »

I will have to say I should have been able to score off the start, I left the ball carrier in a bad position and regretted it.  On the other hand me scoring the other time was incredibly unlikely so in the end the score is probably what it should be, just not in the ways I would have expected.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 16, 2015, 07:19:21 pm »

Upset Alert! #4 ranked Ogre team Monk's Morons defeats #1 seed and defending Champion My Mummie's Mummies 2-1!

A remarkably bloodless match for two bruising teams. The bloodlust was probably curbed by the game-long sweltering heat which several times kept key personnel off of the pitch, but was evenhanded in its capriciousness (though one could argue that the star Khemri thrower was more valuable to SLAYA on his last drive than my murderiffic Feynman was to me, despite comparable SPP values.) Game ball goes to Scrappa Sorehead, the Pogoer Star Player who managed to receive a handoff while in opponents TZ and break away from a rapidly collapsing pile to score the goahead TD on turn 12. Honorable mention to the Wizard who bought him that extra time with a fireball to the Khemri flank, and to Theodore Roosevelt who scored the other TD amid allegations of Agility doping.

Another nailbiting victory after the thriller that was required to squeak past the elves last week; the beautiful thing about the playoffs is that once you're in, even a .500 fourth seed has the chance to string together a run!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to join some of this generations greatest minds in a victory celebration. FEYNMAN SMASH!

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 16, 2015, 07:35:03 pm »

And with that, Both leagues are open for applicants!! Just create your team and apply to the league of your choice! Make sure to also post in this thread that you have applied your team and what race your team is so as to avoid numerous amounts of the same race.

ie
SLAYA'S SVENS (Norse) have applied to the training league and are awaiting acceptance.

Passwords for both leagues can be found on the opening post to this thread I believe.

edit: If you want to keep the same main league team as last season please post that the team will be returning so I know not to remove them. Also any training league teams have been removed from the league as they can't play in it again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:40:35 pm by THE_SLAYA »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 16, 2015, 07:49:05 pm »

Huh, I can't find the passwords. Although I did guess them right.

Edit: Alright, I've sent in both my applications.

Scaly and Lazy: The Lizardmen. After what I feel was a fairly successful first season, they ready and rearing to take on the big time in the main tournament. (Although if badly hurts don't heal in between tournaments I might be in for a rough first game after fighting those orcs.)

Cripts Clobbers: Chaos. The next team I'm going to add to my roster, they are slower then I am used to, but I'm hoping for a strong showing from them in the training tournament non the less!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:57:56 pm by Criptfeind »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 16, 2015, 08:07:30 pm »

I've applied to the training league with my dark elves team called The Black Guards
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 16, 2015, 08:16:33 pm »

I am probably going to make a new team for the training league tomorrow.  And I need to decide which team deserves to be in the main league...

I am thinking a new team I have never played before would be a hilarious idea.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:21:06 pm by Raddish »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 16, 2015, 08:51:30 pm »

Yeah, I don't see the password in the OP. It's almost certainly Bay12 though.

That said, next season Monk's Mutineers will be joining the TT (and looking foward to some bloodsucking fun) while Monk's Mafioso will be making you an offer you can't refuse in the main league.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 16, 2015, 09:08:51 pm »

The Stumpy Surgeons (Dwarf) have been created for the training league.

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 16, 2015, 09:55:20 pm »

The Stumpy Surgeons (Dwarf) have been created for the training league.

Have you applied with them yet? If so, try re-applying since I can't see your application

Other than that issue though all teams have been accepted as of right now giving us five confirmed teams for the main league and 6 (four accepted) for the training league.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 149