Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 260947 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 4, Week 3
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »

You'll be in group B, which you can see results and stuff of here. The TVs are 1510 Lizards, 1720 WElves, and 1850 Chaos.

I'm not sure how inducements plays a role in amazon teams, given that you can have it all at 1k TV anyway... :P but there you go.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2012, 11:45:27 pm »

You'll be in group B, which you can see results and stuff of here. The TVs are 1510 Lizards, 1720 WElves, and 1850 Chaos.

My guys are back to 1850? Jeez, getting the minotaur back in the lineup makes quite a difference in the bottom line! Last match against ank's elves, I was *down* 140 TV; now I'm up 130!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:05 pm »

I don't think Wood Elves are much better than Pro Elves. Personally, I feel they're worse -- but it's hard to argue with statistics...

They're certainly *different*. To be more specific, I think Wood Elves are the purist "I will score" BB team. They sacrifice the armor of the high elves for more foot speed, and then have at least four skill players with dodge. They are built for the cross-the-field-in-a-turn handoff-pass-run combo. They are darn delicate, but if you can survive your first few matches and get them a treeman, they also have an anchor for their front line.

You can certainly still wall against them, but that speed and AGL and Dodge give them a strong ability to capitalize on any failed pass/pickup/catch. And goodness knows, if they're lucky enough to get a blitz... *shakes head*

Obviously, this isn't to say that skill and luck don't play their roles, or that Wood Elves will win every game, or anything silly like that. And, going back to their fragility, I suspect that a non-trivial number of Wood Elf teams get nerfed with a major injury in their first few games, where they *really* don't have the money to cover major losses. They are fragile both individually *and* as a team. (Anyone want to express shock at a GW game with swingy results? :-)  )

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2012, 12:24:15 am »

A delightful quote from another forum: "the goal of an elf is not to get to the endzone - the endzone is just a detour in a game-long struggle to prevent the opponent from reaching the elf endzone."

All the elven teams are superb at scoring, certainly the Wood Elves are even superber at it than the other three, but the difference is minor and comes at a non-trivial cost. Especially on the catchers.

I personally don't understand why the Woodies are the best of the elven sides, but perhaps the Treeman plays a bigger role on the defense than I imagine. I can't imagine it'd offset their rather pathetic catchers, but maybe it does? Has to be something, though -- the wood elves win more.

I suppose it mostly comes down to personal preference, though. All the elves are good at the same things, and they all suffer the same weaknesses. The differences are minor at best. Do you value an extra point of movement and leap, or four players that start with nerves of steel? Tougher linemen or more blitzers?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2012, 10:01:53 am »

I suppose it mostly comes down to personal preference, though. All the elves are good at the same things, and they all suffer the same weaknesses. The differences are minor at best. Do you value an extra point of movement and leap, or four players that start with nerves of steel? Tougher linemen or more blitzers?

This actually points to some of the interesting differences in tactics. It could be that wood elves are easier to use than high elves, because the tactics of dodge and run are more obvious than the tactics of nerves of steel.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20:44 pm »

No problems with connecting today, just going to grab some dinner and I'll be ready to play.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2012, 01:48:58 pm »

That would probably help explain the increased win rate of the Wood Elves, indeed.  A more straightforward team than the other elves. Interesting.

Speaking of elves, one of my vampires was killed in my match today, meaning my vampire experiment is very likely over. Expect to see Sheer Badassery return, if we allow old teams next season.

I think the only game left now is scheduled to be played on Saturday, and possibly Sowelu vs Charmander if he arrives in time. Either way, week 4 should be coming up soon.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:24 pm »

Kanil won 1-0, just managing to get a tackle in on my ball carrier on the penultimate turn of the game, preventing me from equalising. Kinda surprising, given he only had 4 people left on the pitch, and 2 were on the floor.

The match was ridiculously violent, At least on one side. My boyz did what Orcs do best, hitting everything in the way until it stops moving. Kanil rolled two deaths, one Thrall (which was Apothecaried to a badly hurt), one Vampire. A couple of Thralls ended up with Broken Ribs, too.

Orcs still can't pick up balls, not even the Thrower with his Sure Hands skill. I had a chance to equalise last turn, but he needed to pick up the ball and make both GFI rolls. He failed on the ball pickup.

I made a lot of mistakes, but I also caused a lot of carnage. Pretty fun game, at least from my perspective.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2012, 02:36:49 pm »

A third vampire also died but regen'd. The last turn blitz from the thrall was pretty ridiculous and that game really should have been a draw. Amusingly it was by the thrall that died -> apoth'd. Guess I got my money's worth out of that one.

The rain really made ball handling hard, especially for your low AG orcs. Good to hear that you had fun, though.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »

Yeah, the rain made me very aware that none of my guys were that good at picking up the ball on a good day.

I'm kinda vexed that I didn't do slightly better, I mean, you kicked off at half time with only 7 players. I should've scored at least once.

And crikey. Good thing you have Regen or I'd be feeling pretty guilty about killing two Vampires in one game.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2012, 04:12:12 pm »

No need to feel guilty about killing anyone at any point. It's called Blood Bowl for a reason.  :P

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2012, 01:06:13 am »

So, what's going on with the Jartol/AlStar matchup?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2012, 01:49:24 am »

We were going to play Saturday, but things came up for Jartol.

Jartol - I should be free most of this week - when's best?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2012, 06:10:07 pm »

Game ends 1-1, which is pretty damn good, given that both kicks to the Guard resulted in blitzes for Manner Pylon.

It could very easily have ended 3-0 for Pylon if Jartol's dice had been a bit better or mine a bit worse.

The snotlings managed nearly as many CAS as the Ogres this game.

Good game Jartol!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 4, Week 4
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »

Week four's underway.

No idea what's going on with Sowelu replacing Xanatos Jr., so... not sure if anything will be done about that.

Anyway, week four matchups!

Kanil - Self Inflicted versus AlStar - Ogrish Royal Guard
Jartol - Manner Pylon versus Burnt Pies - Brunch's Big Bads
Xanatos Jr. - Lutefisk Legion versus ank - w00t w00t
Charmander - Sahagin Stormers versus ndkid - Kobb's Khorne

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 149