Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Look what just arrived in the mail [IMG]  (Read 10407 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Look what just arrived in the mail [IMG]
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 07:11:07 am »

I would buy a mug.

And I hope that official dwarf fortress mug would come in packs of three.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 07:27:18 am »

I might do something like that :D

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 08:45:52 am »

Mmmm, maybe I should get a crayon art reward and make a shirt out of it. :D
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:48 am »

i just want to say that i would buy any kind of even semi-official dwarf fort shirt pretty much instantly and given that i think this is a great idea. i mean the custom stuff is cool but i would really love something a little more legitimate feeling.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:23 am »

I tend not to buy stuff like this, for any game I'm a fan of. But in DF's case, I'd make several exceptions. Of the shirt, mug and sundries variety. If it's owned and operated solely by Toady, even better.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 12:10:39 pm »

I seem to recall Toady turning down merchandise offers in the past.

Personally, I think that if you want DF merch, you should just do what the OP did and then send a donation to Toady. A nice big donation.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:48 pm »

What I'd be worried about with Toady starting with merchandise is this: Some of the money has to go back to manufacturing more merchandise.  Crazy, right? I know.

What I fear happening is that people buy the product and feel like they've donated a decent amount when, in fact, most of that money goes back to making more merchandise and, in response, the total donations decrease. Besides, setting this up would take a little time out of DF development, causing complaints from users. And bringing more people into it means cutting them pieces (unless on volunteer basis) of the checks, meaning even less money for Toady.

Regardless, as has been said, he's turned it down anyway.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 04:43:15 pm »

i just want to say that i would buy any kind of even semi-official dwarf fort shirt pretty much instantly and given that i think this is a great idea. i mean the custom stuff is cool but i would really love something a little more legitimate feeling.

Seconded.  I'd love to have an official Dwarf Fortress shirt or jacket or something.  I'm still considering a custom job, but I'd like an official one if possible.

What I'd be worried about with Toady starting with merchandise is this: Some of the money has to go back to manufacturing more merchandise.  Crazy, right? I know.

What I fear happening is that people buy the product and feel like they've donated a decent amount when, in fact, most of that money goes back to making more merchandise and, in response, the total donations decrease. Besides, setting this up would take a little time out of DF development, causing complaints from users. And bringing more people into it means cutting them pieces (unless on volunteer basis) of the checks, meaning even less money for Toady.

I can sort of understand this.  Wouldn't stop me from donating on the side as I have, but I suspect that it might influence other people's tendency to donate.  I do wonder how much profit he'd actually make off of it.  Likely the only way he'd know would be to try it out and potentially lose a lot of money.

Can't say I blame him for turning it down.  It would be cool, but a bit risky.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

clarithium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 05:55:56 pm »

I, for one, would buy an official DF Tshirt the moment it was available.

Make it happen Toady!~

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 12:06:04 am »

Usually having an item in exchange for a donation makes people more likely to donate, not less. That's why NPR gives out tate bags, for instance. Ideally, you'd want to set a minimal donation amount near to the cost of the item, and provide a way for people to pay more. Toady already offers crayon art and stories for donations. Other merchandise could function the same way.

However, an overpriced t-shirt with a spiffy joke draw more interest than a crayon drawing. People want the shirt. You can gift it. You can ask for it as a gift.

As for taking time away from Toady, there do exist sites that will manage the shipping of merchandise such as this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 01:28:21 am »

I think it'd be a good and bad idea... But something nobody seems to have mentioned is the fact that the shirts themselves could wind up advertising for them. If I didn't know what Dwarf Fortress was, and over a period of a few weeks I see a number of people walking around wearing absolutely awesome-looking shirts with "Dwarf Fortress" printed on them in big letters, and perhaps a humorous tagline, I'd want to know what Dwarf Fortress was. I'd look it up. And I'd get hooked, because that's more or less how I found Dwarf Fortress in the first place (but not through a shirt).
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 04:19:39 am »

I WANT DF MERCH!

AndyDish

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf Beards Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:12 am »

Dear Amok, that is amazing. However, I agree with Auto. The merch needs to bring in money for Toady. That being said, good lord we need t-shirts of Boatmurdered, or of the dwarf face.
Rivers of ale, yeah sounds like dwarf fortress.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 01:31:50 pm »

Does Zazzle's T-Shirts have that glossy stuff for the design, or just ink soaked into the cloth?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »

I think Dwarf Merchandise would be a big success because it's safe to say Dwarf Fortress has the most game depth and has the most complex learning curve while still being fun. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3