Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Look what just arrived in the mail [IMG]  (Read 10411 times)

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Look what just arrived in the mail [IMG]
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:19 pm »

Aww jeah.
,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Look what just arrived in the mail [IMG]
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:07:45 pm »

From?
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:19:43 pm »

Oh dear, its beautiful
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »

,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »

did you custom order it or something, I checked their website and can't find it?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »

Out of fealty to His Toadyness, make sure Bay 12 is getting royalties on that, whoever is selling it.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »

did you custom order it or something, I checked their website and can't find it?
Yeah, I used this image, apparently made by a fellow named Koshachiy Barin:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Out of fealty to His Toadyness, make sure Bay 12 is getting royalties on that, whoever is selling it.
Zazzle never pays royalties on anything, but I've donated far more than the shirt is worth so I don't think there's an issue.
,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:05 pm »

how much was it, and how long did it take to get there?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »

how much was it, and how long did it take to get there?

Around 20 bucks, around 5 days.
,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:26:50 pm »

...I've donated far more than the shirt is worth so I don't think there's an issue.

I don't mean you personally, if you made it yourself and just used Zazzle to manufacture it that's one thing.  I'm just sayin', if someone out there is merchandising DF and taking all of the profits for themselves because Bay 12 is a humble run-out-of-Toady's-apartment affair without a cadre of lawyers, we oughta, I dunno, track them down and get all dwarfy on them.  Or at least fill out a complaint form or something.
Legendary Idler

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:15 am »

...I've donated far more than the shirt is worth so I don't think there's an issue.

I don't mean you personally, if you made it yourself and just used Zazzle to manufacture it that's one thing.  I'm just sayin', if someone out there is merchandising DF and taking all of the profits for themselves because Bay 12 is a humble run-out-of-Toady's-apartment affair without a cadre of lawyers, we oughta, I dunno, track them down and get all dwarfy on them.  Or at least fill out a complaint form or something.

Of course, all the way, but Zazzle just prints custom stuff. It'd be the same as if the Kinkos down the street printed dwarfposter.jpg for me.
,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:42:36 am »

Of course, all the way, but Zazzle just prints custom stuff. It'd be the same as if the Kinkos down the street printed dwarfposter.jpg for me.

I'm not familiar with Zazzle but sure, if 100% of the profits are going to Zazzle simply for the service of custom-manufacturing the merchandise, that seems legit.

There are some sites similar to deviantArt, where you can open an account and put up a page full of items, and when someone clicks the "buy this" button and goes through the purchase process you get a cut.  It's that kind of thing - someone promoting products under the name "Dwarf Fortress" on the web - that a mainstream game company would have the heft to protect under a trademark.

I'm a little worried, looking around now, that there doesn't seem to be anything along those lines for DF.  Reading about stuff like this, where a guy was basically able to take over a 40-year-old organization and stop anyone else from using its name because he nabbed a state registration they'd allowed to lapse, I wonder if someone could release their own game and call it "Dwarf Fortress", then trademark it and force Toady to stop using that name.

Not that I'd want donation money spent on any involved legal process but I hope Toady has done whatever the basic CYA steps are.
Legendary Idler

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:35 am »

See, this is why I think Toady or one of his loyal minions ought to set up a Cafepress store for official Bay 12 and DF merchandise. We'd get to wear cool t-shirts like that and support Toady at the same time!
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:33:05 am »

That doesnt make sense at all.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 05:59:00 am »

Jake's suggestion makes sense to me.  I think that it would be of service to the fans, an option available to get "offical" DF gear while supporting the project. (though there's nothing wrong with making your own stuff and there are so many fabulous DF-inspired drawings and art around the internet.)

For Toady it's a bit of effort to put together and manage but I think it might help in that he really honestly wants to give back to the fans for the donations.  Look at the crayon drawings, the sponsorship animals in this release... It seems to me like he might have put too much effort in there, with the frequency that my dorfs are getting their heads bitten off by what appear to be godzilla-sized versions of various parakeet species.  :D

A merchandise outlet like that, while nowhere near as cool as a crayon drawing or a sponsored element in the game, might take some of the burden off.  And, even if it were kept to a fairly meagre offering, I'd expect that it might be helpful to have explicit branding activity like that if any trademark-type IP litigation nastiness should happen in the future, Armok forbid.
Legendary Idler

Pages: [1] 2 3