Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make creature vary its attacks?  (Read 1092 times)

utilitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make creature vary its attacks?
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »

I have added tusks to my orks, but now gore appears to be the only attack they will use in the arena. Is there a way to get them to vary their attacks?

Ork:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Make creature vary its attacks?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:48:21 pm »

Attacks should be varied automaticly :/ odd tho, did you control the creature and use the Aimmed attack? then leave?

In my arena tests, if I play as a creautre and say, choose kick left hand then release the control that creature will always target the left hand with a kick from the choosen foot I used to kick with

Also May I steal this beast?

utilitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:16 pm »

Attacks should be varied automaticly :/ odd tho, did you control the creature and use the Aimmed attack? then leave?

In my arena tests, if I play as a creautre and say, choose kick left hand then release the control that creature will always target the left hand with a kick from the choosen foot I used to kick with

Also May I steal this beast?

Ha! Go right ahead! It's not quite finished yet, but I've been tinkering around with it to learn the ropes. If you don't mind my asking, what uses to have planned for it?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:00 pm »

If you don't mind my asking, what uses to have planned for it?
I don't mind at all

I am trying to add castes to the 4 main races to add more variety, And goblins to me seem too weak, so maybe a larger Ork could be the main combat caste, and goblins are kinda filler/cannon fodder (not saying they can't be great fighters) but their main role would be building and serving the Orks. Ill probally add half breeds like Goborks, maybe a Trollork and maybe a Huge Warboss Ork.

This will make goblin ambushes and sieges a bit more scarier, shame there is no way yet to make DF force a caste to be squad leaders

EDIT:
Dropped the Orks into the arena and pitted two of them together, first one gored but the other punched. So your attacks are varied

EDIT2:
Let it run a bit more, Odd they like to gore alot

EDIT3:
Changed the prioity for the gore attack to second and now every attack is varied, odd that would happen tho

EDIT4:
Ok now they only punch, This is weird just weird. My only suggestion is make all attacks MAIN or SECOND

EDIT5:
Yup made punching, kicking, scratching, and goring MAIN and left Biting as SECOND the MAIN attacks are randomly chosen now. with the odd time of a bite

EDIT6:
Also heres an errorlog, easy fixes

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_ork.txt"
Ork:Unrecognized Creature Token: CANLEARN
Unrecognized Skill Token: FIGHTER
Ork:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: 3LUNGS
Ork:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: 2HEART
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature Ork
Ork:FEMALE:right horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:FEMALE:left horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:FEMALE:right tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:FEMALE:left tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:right horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:left horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:right tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:left tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead

Oddly enough trying to bite a ork in the head passes right through, could be the fact orks have no teeth (tissue thickness)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:22:44 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

utilitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:40:09 pm »

If you don't mind my asking, what uses to have planned for it?
I don't mind at all

I am trying to add castes to the 4 main races to add more variety, And goblins to me seem too weak, so maybe a larger Ork could be the main combat caste, and goblins are kinda filler/cannon fodder (not saying they can't be great fighters) but their main role would be building and serving the Orks. Ill probally add half breeds like Goborks, maybe a Trollork and maybe a Huge Warboss Ork.

This will make goblin ambushes and sieges a bit more scarier, shame there is no way yet to make DF force a caste to be squad leaders

EDIT:
Dropped the Orks into the arena and pitted two of them together, first one gored but the other punched. So your attacks are varied

EDIT2:
Let it run a bit more, Odd they like to gore alot

EDIT3:
Changed the prioity for the gore attack to second and now every attack is varied, odd that would happen tho

EDIT4:
Ok now they only punch, This is weird just weird. My only suggestion is make all attacks MAIN or SECOND

EDIT5:
Yup made punching, kicking, scratching, and goring MAIN and left Biting as SECOND the MAIN attacks are randomly chosen now. with the odd time of a bite

EDIT6:
Also heres an errorlog, easy fixes

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_ork.txt"
Ork:Unrecognized Creature Token: CANLEARN
Unrecognized Skill Token: FIGHTER
Ork:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: 3LUNGS
Ork:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: 2HEART
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature Ork
Ork:FEMALE:right horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:FEMALE:left horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:FEMALE:right tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:FEMALE:left tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:right horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:left horn, layer 1: Tissue HORN was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:right tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead
Ork:MALE:left tusk, layer 1: Tissue IVORY was not found, using first tissue instead

Oddly enough trying to bite a ork in the head passes right through, could be the fact orks have no teeth (tissue thickness)

Thanks for your help. If you wouldn't mind, could you take a look at this and maybe tell me why my Ork civilization isn't showing up in worldgen?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »

Try changing DEFAULT_SITE:CAVE to CITY and see how that works

If that still fails, try lowering the numbers all to 1 or 2 for all the supported biomes

Could be that they are too picky on where to live so they don't get placed
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:51:28 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:01:49 pm »

On the idea of orc castes (sorry I cant add more to the main problem, but it seemed like Hugo hit it on the head),

*Gobbos are the main ones, with a focus on actualy running things around. Start with normal skills, but learn quicker than the other castes.
* "Half-Orcs" are realy half-goblin and half orc. About the size of a human, no tusks, but no learning disablities.
*Orcs are big, mean, and green. Not much else.
*Ogres are the biggest, dumbist caste. Uses its tusk, and is better off without weapons than with them. Mostly due to its special-needs like dependency on the others to actualy feed the slow brutes.
*Trolls are around the size of a horse, has a nice claw attack along with its tusks, and has [HEALING_RATE:1]. Buggers are brutal and rare. Dumbish, but probably wears armor well.
*Finaly, Warbosses/Chiefs/Warlords/ect are skilled, powerful, and suffer none of the dumbness that occure in the upper castes, and is about the size of a Troll. Rarest of them all, and should be treasured by the player.

*Also, with the new reaction system, Shamens/Mystics could use buildings that produce substances that harm the lesser castes and use them in warfair. Things like tissue-rotting gasses and stuff.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »

On the idea of orc castes (sorry I cant add more to the main problem, but it seemed like Hugo hit it on the head),

*Gobbos are the main ones, with a focus on actualy running things around. Start with normal skills, but learn quicker than the other castes.
* "Half-Orcs" are realy half-goblin and half orc. About the size of a human, no tusks, but no learning disablities.
*Orcs are big, mean, and green. Not much else.
*Ogres are the biggest, dumbist caste. Uses its tusk, and is better off without weapons than with them. Mostly due to its special-needs like dependency on the others to actualy feed the slow brutes.
*Trolls are around the size of a horse, has a nice claw attack along with its tusks, and has [HEALING_RATE:1]. Buggers are brutal and rare. Dumbish, but probably wears armor well.
*Finaly, Warbosses/Chiefs/Warlords/ect are skilled, powerful, and suffer none of the dumbness that occure in the upper castes, and is about the size of a Troll. Rarest of them all, and should be treasured by the player.

*Also, with the new reaction system, Shamens/Mystics could use buildings that produce substances that harm the lesser castes and use them in warfair. Things like tissue-rotting gasses and stuff.
I like it! As the saying goes, That pretty much just hit my orignal plan right on the head right dar'