Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best way to induce sieges.  (Read 2239 times)

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to induce sieges.
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:35 pm »

What's the best way to import some FUN into my fort? I can't handle the circus, so...
..How can I pick a fight with some filthy goblins, or pointy-eared goblins, or goblins prone to great ambition? Or goblins fond of drink and industry?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to induce sieges.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »

Keep living, If you build it..they will come.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »

To expand on this:

Generate as much wealth as you possibly can as fast as you can.  Beware:  This will also attract lots of filthy migrants.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:20:00 pm »

Lol, ya... I started getting goblin seiges when I passed 500k wealth, trolls started coming with em past 700k wealth... I just abandoned that fortress, .34, but I imagine not much has changed.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Theonefreerunner

• Bay Watcher
  • The one who runs free
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »

To expand on this:

Generate as much wealth as you possibly can as fast as you can.  Beware:  This will also attract lots of filthy migrants.

Don't you mean 'Recruits'?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:26 pm »

Make-a da moeneys.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:14 pm »

You can also tweak the population and wealth requirements for titan attacks, and for getting sieges (becoming a barony / country etc.)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:41 pm »

Increased wealth and population will encourage Goblin and Megabeast attacks, for the other races you need to make them angry somehow, for the Elves you can trade them wooden stuff all the time or kill their merchants, for the humans you can kill their merchants. Seizing goods from the caravans helps too.

This won't guarantee an immediate state of war though, usually needs to be repeated consistently for a few years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »

It's really hard to induce war with the humans or elves without diplomats though. Exporting large amounts of goods also helps motivate goblins into attacking :P

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »

... for the Elves you can trade them wooden stuff all the time or kill their merchants ...
Do both!  Try to trade them wooden items, then when they refuse, kill them and take their stuff! :D

Myself, I attempted to start at war with the elves just to save myself the trouble of trying to make them angry enough to start a war with me. *shrug* All depends on what effort you are willing to put into it.  With my luck lately, I'm going to have to tick off their merchants, I think.

And I second the "migrants are militia members in disguise" comment.  Especially with the vampires. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:14:15 am »

find and mine out a single tile of candy.

you should have good gobbo sieges within a year.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 01:20:36 am »

Generate wealth.  An easy way to do this is to get a successful artifact mood.  To induce moods, dig.  The number of tiles mined out helps determine your mood frequency.  Older forts will stop having moods until a large mining project is started.  As moods are fulfilled, expensive artifacts are generated.  The new wealth draws sieges towards you in droves.

Otherwise, get 5 dwarves.  A farmer, a thresher, a miller, a weaver, a dyer, and a clothier.  Lock them in a room with a farm, a quern, a dyer's shop, a farmer's shop, a loom, and a clothier's shop.  Get some stocks up and do "process plants /R", "Mill Plants /R", "Create Cloth Rope /R", "Dye Thread /R" and turn the workshop orders to "Auto-look dyed thread".  If done right, the amount of clutter will dictate the working speed, making sure that no point of industry ever stops, and your dwarves constantly produce high value ropes, quickly becoming legendary and producing obscene value.  Trade or stockpile it, either way that immense wealth is going to draw goblins towards you - along with massive trade parties.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 01:30:16 am »

And smooth the candy floor. And engrave it.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:38 am »

And smooth the candy floor. And engrave it.
you tring to induce the local goblin civ leader into sieging within that year or something?

also, i heard the bug pertaining to historical figures leaving the map being "deleted" is fixed....  so that civ leader can now siege multiple times?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:56:15 am »

Well, I got lucky with my first fort of 34.02, and have finally found a dwarf civ that was almost wiped out and still at war with the elves. And its in a location with decent minerals (surface limonite!), and it claims to have flux, though I'm guessing thats near the magma I'm not ready to go after ... yet.

I just need to get more troops, er ... I mean "citizens", so I can train up some defenders.  If things go as they usually do I should get some nice elven ambushes with this embark.  I'll have to make sure to track the names of any elves that escape to see if they return to face their fate. :D

By the way, does captured gear (e.g., goblinite and the firewood armor the elves bring)  count toward your accumulated wealth?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2