Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Empire Earth: Of Cavemen and Spaceships  (Read 8610 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Earth: Of Cavemen and Spaceships
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 03:59:46 pm »

I remember Empire Earth, and how the AI loved to spam a gigantic navy on any map with water.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 04:08:37 pm »

I remember Empire Earth, and how the AI loved to spam a gigantic navy on any map with water.

Not that it could actually use them for anything, nor was it capable of naval invasions
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »

I got my hands on this when it was free on GOG. I played it when it came out, but I don't think I had much of an understanding of RTSs back then.

One thing I'm having trouble grasping is how you're supposed to effectively macro in this. Individual resource collection is really slow, but soon as you get enough citizens, the exponential growth is immense, my test game going from "build a few units here and there between citizens" to "suddenly have thousands of every resource so you can build 300 longswordsmen and zerg the AI".

Also feels weird to have proper projectile attacks for once. I guess that's what I get for having Blizzard supply nearly all of my RTS input over recent years.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »

How do you beat the AI? It's practically impossible when they make a fully developed city in under 2 minutes and get 3 troops whenever you get one. It only gets harder, too. The moment you reach WW2 age, anything you do to them will end with them sending 7 nukes your way.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:32:58 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 11:36:58 pm »

The secret to early survival against the AI is tower, and not rushing the age researches.

Be sure to have villagers going for the stones and build towers to protect every location that have them working, because the AI analyze the defense potential of each working zones, and if one does not have any defense, it will be exactly where the AI will launch his attack.

Especially in the prehistory ages, in which you often want to keep your ressources to advance quicker in ages, a mistake that you will always regret when the AI will then send lots of ranged and contact units early , hammering your poor tower-less and army-less base.

And don't think towers alone will keep you alive, you really need troops early too, because if you have only towers, you'll meet a whole bunch of AI Samson that care very few of towers shots coming your way and crushing your towers at the stone age.

Oh and start building temples until their area of effect protect all your bases, or you'll have some fun with the AI prophets.

And as you keep your defenses (that improve with the ages) , your base will stay well defended.
Once airplane comes into play, be sure to build DCA nearly everywhere.

reaching ww2 be very very carefull with some of the units that are invisible like the sniper, you need to spot them or they'll kill every worker without a problem, get dogs or balloons that are the only way to see those dreaded units.

In the early age, ressource gathering is very slow, for the food it's better to hunt animals and fish, it's much quicker than recolting.
Later, when you can build granaries (and so attach farms all around them), food will come very much faster, starting at the copper age
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:47:29 pm by Robsoie »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »

Ok, now moving onto ww2 and onwards military. Which units should I pick? Quite frankly, I like abusing mortars, snipers and tanks, but that dosen't work all that well at times.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:13 am »

To be fair, mortars, snipers, and tanks pretty much sums up conventional warfare.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:51 pm »

The main problem if you take "only" mortars, snipers and tanks in the WW2 age is that you can bet the AI will use several bombers and fighters/bombers that will destroy your troops that can't shoot airplanes.
Be sure to mix your armies with several partizans (that you can build since WW1), they're much weaker than your (and the AI) ww2 marines, so don't even try to fight, their main point is that they're able to shoot airplanes.

And to avoid some devastating counter attack when you're inside enemy territory, get a bunch of civilians with your troops, and have them regularly build DCA and towers as you go.
The main difficulty when you manage to break into enemy area is to hold the conquered zone, so you need those tower+dca support.

And regarding building, always make sure to upgrade every settlement you build anywhere on the map into town centers by putting civilians into them, the difference it will make in ressources gathered by your civilians is not negligible. It will allow you to build civilians from it too.
Additionally, there's a boost of hit points for the building that will allow it to take more punishment.

Last thing i think, if you have the ressources to spend, don't overlook fortresses.
They allow you to garrison a bunch of soldier, and while being inside, those bunch of soldiers do not count anymore in your population limit.
These fortresses are then great last defenses, if your field army is destroyed you can immediately ungarrison from a fortress up to 40 soldiers in a click to join the frontline again without waiting to build new soldiers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:23:34 pm by Robsoie »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

This game was like MyFirstRTS™ game back in the day. I still have the disk lying around somewhere...
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 11:00:21 am »

Let's play this weekend. PM me if you're interested and I'll help you find a totally legitimate free copy to play. As for the networking, I've used Himatchi before, but that might not be needed. We'll see.

We can simply use direct IP connections, so everything's cool then. I'll need to port some forwards, but that's nothing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:05:51 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 11:38:50 am »

Sounds fun! I already have a legit copy (with the expansion)
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »

Yeah, I'll play if we can sort something out, providing people are willing to put up with worldwide ping. Shouldn't be much of a problem in a game such as this anyway.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »

Hey, is allied victory in Empire Earth? You know, the thing that makes it so that if one of your allies with this on dies, you both die? Or am I thinking of Age of Empires?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 02:44:37 pm »

I'd play, but I dont have the expansion.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 02:47:33 pm »

Hey, is allied victory in Empire Earth? You know, the thing that makes it so that if one of your allies with this on dies, you both die? Or am I thinking of Age of Empires?
I could be wrong, but isn't that almost the opposite of what allied victory is supposed to be (eg. if only your team is left alive, then everyone on your team wins, even if you haven't killed your ally)?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4