Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Empire Earth: Of Cavemen and Spaceships  (Read 8614 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Empire Earth: Of Cavemen and Spaceships
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

I was surprised to read that while there is some discussion of Empire Earth in various conversation here, there were no dedicated threads. I have, naturally, set out to rectify this.

Empire Earth is a relatively old RTS with a rather ambitious scope: the entirety of human history. An expansion extended this into the future, featuring the colonization of alien planets. (Effectively doing nothing besides replacing "ocean" terrain with "space" terrain)

Still, interesting and awesome things were present, including the possibility of invading Rome with machine guns, or having raving madmen summon volcanoes to destroy enemy missile silos.

The game was available for free on Good Old Games, apparently not anymore. I'm sure that it is possible to find... totally... legitimate copies of the gold edition floating around somewhere, though.

Anyway, we aught to play a few games. Note that the servers are long gone, so VPN will probably be a necessity!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:40:36 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Earth: Of Cavemen and Spaceships
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

... what is this about it being free? I can't seem to find it...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »

Its listed as $5.99. Wont show up in free searches. I think a while ago it was availiable for free for a limited time as part of some promotion. I forget the details. No longer availiable for gratis though.
This is a blank sig.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »

Still, interesting and awesome things were present, including the possibility of invading Rome with machine guns, or having raving madmen summon volcanoes to destroy enemy missile silos.

I remember prophets being totally overpowered, the the robots being really hard to tell apart in the interface with little indication of what they're for, and multiplayer games basically being a race to advance your tech level.  And every mission in the single player campaign was interminably long and full of terrible voice acting.

More than anything else, it was one of the real pioneers of the rock-paper-scissors RTS unit scheme, and grabbed it by the throat and ran for the hills.  I remember gunpowder infantry/cavalry/artillery being especially egregious in WRONG UNIT = NO DAMAGE effects.

The army-wide upgrade system was pretty cool though, and I certainly salute the attempted scope of the game.  It was fun, just kinda badly constructed as far as I felt.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:54:10 pm »

It was fun but not for long, Rise of Nations was much more fun, the second EE too, it had a nice idea, the realization was meh at times but most of the time much better then the first one.

There was also that other one that had a much smaller scope but similar idea, going from the middle ages to the close future I think.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:07:31 pm »

While EE had a very interesting concept (from the stone age to lazor fireing robots and spaceships) it was EE2 that wctually perfected it... and EE2 and Rise of Nations are pretty much the same game with different graphics.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:24 pm »

EE was great in some ways, but silly in others (eg. to "Win" you had to chase the literal last enemy soldier and murder him since the AI was incapable of surrender).

EE2 improved on a lot of things (Especially diplomacy), but the graphics were really, really silly (The "leader" who is twice the size of a goddamn apartment building, apparently leadership in this world is granted only to an elite race of giants though even regular marines are about house sized)
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:29:21 pm »

EE2 improved on a lot of things (Especially diplomacy), but the graphics were really, really silly (The "leader" who is twice the size of a goddamn apartment building, apparently leadership in this world is granted only to an elite race of giants though even regular marines are about house sized)

Nah EE2 had decent graphics.
And i don't remember leaders being that huge. Sure they were about twice larger than your average human but that made him also easier to spot during a battle.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:53 pm »

I recall Empire Earth 1 and 2 were pretty damn awesome for its time but that might be the nostalgia talking.

Then they released Empire Earth 3 a game that never existed.

But the original game was pretty innovative. It had customized faction strengths using a point buy system, an enormous scope, and it was similar to Age of Empires which is a style I loved.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »

The first Empire Eath hasn't aged well at all. Still a great game if you can get over the flaws. Don't expect this to rock your world at first if you're not blinded by nostalgia.

The Bad:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Good
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:14 pm »

I have always wanted a game of the C&C/AoE/EE variety set inside the Total War engine.  The closest I ever found was Warrior Kings.  Anyone know of anything like that?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 01:14:44 pm »

Ah. Empire Earth. I fucking love this game. Shame my disk is damaged beyond repair. But, there's one major problem I have with the game. The only way the AI is competant on any difficulty lower than hard mode is if you let it cheat, which makes the game nightmarishly difficult.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:17:24 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:12 pm »

Looks like I got Empire Earth 2 on gog.com a while ago when it was on sale like 75% off... although I don't remember how to play it at all. I think I was playing a friend's Rise of Nations at the same time and just ended up royally confusing myself about which game is which.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:39:09 pm »

OK, so let's give this a shot. I'll try to put together a VPN of some kind and we'll try a game.

What kind of game do we want? I kinda want to try out space, but I don't know if I want to give up sea...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »

And every mission in the single player campaign was interminably long and full of terrible voice acting.

The German and Russian campaigns were the prime example of this (though Grigor and Molotov sounded pretty awesome nonetheless)

"LEAVE HER ALONE YOU SVINE"

or

"GREETINGS GENERAL GRIGOR, YOU DON'T KNOW ME YET BUT MY NAME IS MOLOTOV"

OK, so let's give this a shot. I'll try to put together a VPN of some kind and we'll try a game.

What kind of game do we want? I kinda want to try out space, but I don't know if I want to give up sea...

EE has superior user created scenarios/campaigns, but EE2 has the superior multiplayer by huge amounts. I personally loved to make 6 player coop vs the hardest (utterly silly cheating/overpowered) AI or a heavily bonused human player on island maps.

Nah EE2 had decent graphics.
And i don't remember leaders being that huge. Sure they were about twice larger than your average human but that made him also easier to spot during a battle.

EE2 was more cartoony, and back in the day EE1's graphics were pretty decent. They looked nicer I suppose, but I could never get over the stylistic difference (also, EE1 was able to allow you to spot units easily without having to resort to armies composed of giants)
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4