Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.  (Read 13043 times)

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 07:42:36 pm »

Yea, i had an undead submerged in magma for a couple of months now, no change at all.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 09:08:21 pm »

Yea, i had an undead submerged in magma for a couple of months now, no change at all.

Might be the result of having no fat at all :/

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:18 pm »

Quote from: sjaakwortel

Are you sure that you have temperature effects turned on? Check your [df folder]/data/init/d_init.txt

If zombies are immune to magma, I think we have a qualified bug to report to Toady. Why should a zombie handle magma any better than the corpse it's made of?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:32:01 pm by Norseman »

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:04 am »

I dropped all my zombie visitors via the after my first bulwark magma-sea bridge (yes, I channeled it all the way down :P), I don't see them on my unit list after a while.  No idea if it was them burning to death or moving off the map though

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2012, 06:29:33 am »

Are you sure that you have temperature effects turned on? Check your [df folder]/data/init/d_init.txt

If zombies are immune to magma, I think we have a qualified bug to report to Toady. Why should a zombie handle magma any better than the corpse it's made of?
If temperature wasn't on the magma wouldn't be setting them on fire, fire being weird isn't a new thing if it doesn't have fat it's essentially fireproof.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:53 am »

Any new evidence to confirm theories? I need to take a break from evil biome embarks for a bit. I'm getting too frustrated with it >.<
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:15 am »

Really cool thread, I don't have much to contribute in terms of answers, since I don't play fortress mode.

I have fought zombies in ADV. mode though, and spears appear to be effective.  In Adv. mode, hitting a zombie about two or three times is enough to bring it down, as long as the wound does more damage than just bruising.  I'm not so sure on this, but maybe the spear can take it's place alongside warhammers as an anti-zombie weapon.  I really hope no fort dies because of my potentially misleading advice. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:25 am »

Spears are effective, but not quite as effective as warhammers and maces.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:53 pm »

Zombies and ghosts will fight. not sure if it's all ghosts but at least forlorn haunts will. Not sure if they will fight their own reanimated corps eather, though that would be kind of fun.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »

Spears will something dismember a limp, so it can potentially be another zombie generator (abit a weaker version of the axelord version).  On another note, demon rat hordes are ridiculous.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 01:33:28 pm »

It would be great if you could crack some way to tell if an embark is going to have zombies before you get boots on the ground.

I'm thinking that it might have to do with the biome and level of savagery. Could somebody do some tests on that? I'm busy testing stuff with zombies and whatnot.

It does not directly have to do with savagery. I embarked upon a terrifying plain and all I got after a few seasons was a filthy sludge rain that made my dwarves dizzy. No undead, not after killing anything, IIRC. And no invading zombie wildlife.

This doesn't mean the CHANCES of undead aren't higher in a terrifying zone, but it's definitely not a direct linkage.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »

Corpses still steal items
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2012, 01:57:08 pm »

Spears are effective, but not quite as effective as warhammers and maces.

There is no definite undead killer weapon, each species strengths/weaknesses are carried into undeath. Except they don't bleed out, so you'd only really want a legendary spear dwarf with a candy spear happily cutting off all the zombie limbs to engage in undead warfare.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2012, 02:16:21 pm »

Someone should think up a way to break a zombie "siege", it's essentially inevitable that their numbers will grow until they completely outnumber your dwarves and your fortress has to enter total lockdown.
Dig (from below) small hallways, with an animal and a number of cage traps, and a raising bridge, and then once everything's built and the traps loaded, connect to the surface.  If you scatter enough of these around the map, hopefully all of the zombies will wander in and trap themselves.  If you happen to want a cage free map, say, if there are goblins coming and you'd like to introduce them to some friends, or if you're running low on empty cages, you can raise the bridges and seal off the traps.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:26 pm »

Embarking with stone and building a wall around your wagon before/while digging straight down really does work. I lost my first couple forts to zombie mountain goats and zombie yaks and such.

I let immigrants in via a tunnel I walled off with constructions. Deconstruct to let them in, rebuild to keep things out. I only lost one dwarf to a zombie goat this way.

I make maces and hammers and out of 20 dwarves (2 were vampires) I ended up with 3 macemen and 1 hammerman, and the hammerman was the next to die. I make both because I like to buy morningstars from the human carvans, which I think might be better at chipping bone than hammers.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7