Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.  (Read 13054 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »

It would be great if you could crack some way to tell if an embark is going to have zombies before you get boots on the ground.

I'm thinking that it might have to do with the biome and level of savagery. Could somebody do some tests on that? I'm busy testing stuff with zombies and whatnot.

Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 03:57:14 pm »

(Xpost from the vampires thread) My vampire masons kept working on the entrance shack's roof while zombie wren men flew around. Active vampire marksdwarves didn't attack zombies either, unless explicitly ordered.

Zombie horses and zombie giant stuff are death machines.

Dead siegers keep adding themselves to the problem. I can't see a limiting factor. Culling the zombie population is made more difficult by their lack of interest in rushing the fortress.

My embark is a 5x5 terrifying with 1 corner square normal. The fort is mostly below the normal square. I broke through the initial dangers, with a population of 130 (half children) and 80 owned coffins. I have 70 undeads outside and a goblin siege killing them.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »

GOD DANG IT MY DWARVES ARE IDIOTIC.

This fort died too now.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »

(Xpost from the vampires thread) My vampire masons kept working on the entrance shack's roof while zombie wren men flew around. Active vampire marksdwarves didn't attack zombies either, unless explicitly ordered.

Zombie horses and zombie giant stuff are death machines.

Dead siegers keep adding themselves to the problem. I can't see a limiting factor. Culling the zombie population is made more difficult by their lack of interest in rushing the fortress.

My embark is a 5x5 terrifying with 1 corner square normal. The fort is mostly below the normal square. I broke through the initial dangers, with a population of 130 (half children) and 80 owned coffins. I have 70 undeads outside and a goblin siege killing them.
Zombies and the undead are friendly

Because of the massive strength buff anything that was dangerous in life becomes the personification of death and terror when raised

Someone should think up a way to break a zombie "siege", it's essentially inevitable that their numbers will grow until they completely outnumber your dwarves and your fortress has to enter total lockdown.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 04:46:13 pm »

There is one solution to all a dwarf's problems.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 04:46:37 pm »

It has been reported that zombies are immune to it.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 04:47:59 pm »

I can only think of making a vampire factory (to replace casualties by invaders), then send them to clean up.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:48 pm »

I can only think of making a vampire factory (to replace casualties by invaders), then send them to clean up.
This is good, it puts the Well of Unlife into a new perspective. The only way to defeat the forces of darkness is to allow darkness into your soul.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2012, 05:27:24 pm »

This is good, it puts the Well of Unlife into a new perspective. The only way to defeat the forces of darkness is to allow darkness into your soul.

That well of unlife thing is pretty ingenious Broseph. Mind if I include it in the OP?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »

That well of unlife thing is pretty ingenious Broseph. Mind if I include it in the OP?
Go for it.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 05:52:04 pm »

Go for it.

I added a "tips on killing the undead hordes" section and included your well of unlife

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »

I don't beleive anyone has reported what happens to obsidianized zombies...  Might only contain the problem.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 06:19:09 pm »

I don't beleive anyone has reported what happens to obsidianized zombies...  Might only contain the problem.

We're talking about !!MAGMA!! not obsidianizing.

Obsidianizing kills everything. It's just hard to do it.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »

I haven't played in a zombie-infested zone, so this is just speculation, but wouldn't dodge-pit traps work pretty well on a zombie invasion? Just make sure the bottom of the pit is well sealed, e.g. with a raised drawbridge. Just having a locked door apparently won't work with zombie kobold lockpicking. But if you drop all the zombies into an escape-proof pit, you've pretty much broken the siege, even if they do come back to life.

Hmmm, dig a tunnel from the bottom of the pit to the map edge and carve fortifications there and you might be able to wash them off the map and out of your hair.

I'm gonna wash that zombie offa my map,
And send him on his way!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »

One thing well worth doing on evil biomes is give EVERYONE on embark both a civilian and military skill, only novice level is needed. This will allow you to draft and dismiss them from the military at will without bad thoughts. Dwarves who are in the military can be ordered around and will attack threats, and on the other hand, dwarves who are not in the military will run away from threats.
You might even want to try and equip everyone (except the miners) with a weapon and shield so they have an increased ability to survive. Certain copper weapons are extremely cheap and wood or leather shields are cheap to make.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7