Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.  (Read 13070 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »

Anybody know what to do with animal refuse? I need to get rid of my two pack animals, but I'm not sure how to dispose of the waste. Should I make a pit or what?
Dig a pit with a lever operated hatch, designate it as a dump and have all your zombie fodder put on it. Make sure the lever is outside the pit room.

Great idea! Thanks. I'll do that now.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »

I can confirm that bunnies do indeed revive as rabbits. I can also report that 600 young rabbits kick zombie arse.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 01:51:28 pm »

All creatures rise as adult versions of themselves, I have a zombie pit that can confirm it.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:14 pm »

In addition to the zombie-arse-kicking abilities of 600 bunnies mentioned above (they knocked a few zombie animal men of various kinds to death), I can also report that 400 zombie bunnies kick dwarf arse.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 02:03:44 pm »

3.) Zombie kobolds still have their lock-picking ability and trap-avoid (Broseph Stalin) (Di) ()

I can support this, it's how one of my first fortresses ended.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 02:06:45 pm »

You know...

This is really going to suck when he implements sieges bringing diggers... Every siege opening a new hole in your fort undead can run in through...

Wonder if constructed walls /floors will stop that... With a flooded level overhead so they can't dig down...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »

Well, I pitted my yak and horse outside. They're going to starve to death in a pit they can't get out of  :'(

Also, I have a functioning fort sealed off from the outside!

HUZZAH! I am growing plump helmets, pig tails, cave wheat, and rock nuts. Once I breach the caverns I'll have access to cavern trees. I will likely be incapable of getting migrants, so I will rely on my dwarves to have children in order to populate the fort.

The cats might end up being a problem, but I can easily pit them with the zombies every time a new generation is born.

Also, I can support that warhammers are extremely effective against the undead. They rarely dismember, and they are really good at simply crushing the undead until it stops getting back up.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »

Some migrants have arrived...

Let's see if I can get them indoors before the undead claim them.

EDIT: Woohoo! They got inside and I didn't even need to send my military! Hooray for airlocks!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:59:39 pm by Sting_Auer »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:10 pm »

Some migrants have arrived...

Let's see if I can get them indoors before the undead claim them.

EDIT: Woohoo! They got inside and I didn't even need to send my military! Hooray for airlocks!
You'll have to keep getting lucky, my forts that get isolated end up being 90% dedicated to carving slabs to hold off ghosts.

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:40 pm »

Okay, I've got several questions for the scientists here to test:

• Do zombies die if they wander out of the evil biome that spawned them? In other words, if you build the entrance to your fortress in the one non-evil part of your embark, would you be protected against zombie intruders from the surface?
  • I've heard that zombies rise repeatedly and that they rise more slowly each time they are killed. Is this true?
  • If zombies do rise repeatedly, do they ever stop rising?
  • Do zombies rise more slowly if they take more serious damage? For example, if you have two zombie chickens, and you drop them through hatches, and one falls 10 Z levels onto a rock floor while the other falls 20 Z levels onto a steel spike, will there be any difference between when they rise?
  • Is it possible to damage a zombie enough to kill it in a single attack or fall?
  • Are there any limits on what kinds of creatures can become zombies? For example, can we have zombie vampires? Zombie dragons? Zombie magma men?
  • Can zombies be killed by the deadly weather effects in terrifying biomes?
  • Can zombies be burned to death?

Also, regarding the magma-proof zombies I was reading about, please verify that you have temperature effects turned on. I've heard that zombies can be burned to death, and, if so, I'd expect that magma ought to kill them. Perhaps there's a difference between having them walk on a magma-covered surface (and burning) and just submerging them in magma (and not burning)?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »

• Do zombies die if they wander out of the evil biome that spawned them? In other words, if you build the entrance to your fortress in the one non-evil part of your embark, would you be protected against zombie intruders from the surface?
  • I've heard that zombies rise repeatedly and that they rise more slowly each time they are killed. Is this true?
  • Do zombies rise more slowly if they take more serious damage? For example, if you have two zombie chickens, and you drop them through hatches, and one falls 10 Z levels onto a rock floor while the other falls 20 Z levels onto a steel spike, will there be any difference between when they rise?
  • Is it possible to damage a zombie enough to kill it in a single attack or fall?
  • Are there any limits on what kinds of creatures can become zombies? For example, can we have zombie vampires? Zombie dragons? Zombie magma men?

Also, regarding the magma-proof zombies I was reading about, please verify that you have temperature effects turned on. I've heard that zombies can be burned to death, and, if so, I'd expect that magma ought to kill them. Perhaps there's a difference between having them walk on a magma-covered surface (and burning) and just submerging them in magma (and not burning)?

1.No. I've exploited this fact numerous times to produce zombie armies.
3.It's possible to harm them so badly that they bleed to death upon raising.
5.Yes.
7.Zombies can be effected by weather, it's pretty common to see them covered in blisters most deadly effects are from damaging the spinal cord or bruising the lungs. Zombies aren't bothered by either of those.
8.No, zombies can be submerged in magma for years without even slowing them down and they will burn indefinitely.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

I have a fort with 180 zombies outside, msot of them are humanoids.
Do you want the save?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »

I hope zombies cant be burned to death.
At the moment i cant think about anything more awesome then burning zombies.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 03:19:48 pm »

1.) No, they do not. That has been proven before.

2.) It isn't really increased every time they are put down. Evidence shows that a more damaged corpse takes longer to rise. This needs to be tested.

3.) Zombies will eventually stop rising, but not until they are so horribly mutilated that there really isn't anything left to raise.

4.) Most likely.

5.) Yes, absolutely.

6.) There don't seem to be any limits.

7.) That is a good question, will have to test.

8.) Unkown.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 03:33:17 pm »

It would be great if you could crack some way to tell if an embark is going to have zombies before you get boots on the ground.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7