Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.  (Read 13071 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »

Oh my, zombie kobold...

it seems that pits are pretty much required then. No zombie vaults allowed?
My Undead fortress built a zombie army to serve my vampire citizens. I kept them in a sealed chamber with an airlock system that included a spike trap for killing fresh prisoners and a door for retrieving their gear. Then we threw a kobold in it promptly picked all four doors and 100 zombies went on a rampage killing every animal and baby.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:39 pm »

Oh my, zombie kobold...

it seems that pits are pretty much required then. No zombie vaults allowed?
My Undead fortress built a zombie army to serve my vampire citizens. I kept them in a sealed chamber with an airlock system that included a spike trap for killing fresh prisoners and a door for retrieving their gear. Then we threw a kobold in it promptly picked all four doors and 100 zombies went on a rampage killing every animal and baby.

Now THAT is hilarious.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:56 am »

Concerning zombified birds and other flying creatures which have become zombies: I think that, no matter how much they might be rotten, they can still fly. I had over 155 Giant Mosquito Corpses on my screen at the same time, and not one of them was without flight or movement. Similarly, I've had entire flocks of undead ravens, undead Peregrine falcon folk, and all other flying undead creatures under the sun on my map at some point in large enough numbers.

While those worlds are long-deleted, I did check the status on a few of those creatures, and found that they were all rotten beyond hope. Some less so than others, but mostly they were all rotten to the point where anything they had in terms of wings should have been unusable. This was not the case.

Of course, I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that, but I thought my input might serve to confirm the fact a little bit. And, while I am here, I will also impart a few other tidbits of information, which might be of some importance considering the subject matter:

1 - Zombified birds (and other reanimated creatures of flight) can be grounded.
2 - Bolts are largely ineffective against undead.

So, if you were thinking of shooting them out of the air and hacking them up, that won't work.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:22 am »

Concerning zombified birds and other flying creatures which have become zombies: I think that, no matter how much they might be rotten, they can still fly. I had over 155 Giant Mosquito Corpses on my screen at the same time, and not one of them was without flight or movement. Similarly, I've had entire flocks of undead ravens, undead Peregrine falcon folk, and all other flying undead creatures under the sun on my map at some point in large enough numbers.

While those worlds are long-deleted, I did check the status on a few of those creatures, and found that they were all rotten beyond hope. Some less so than others, but mostly they were all rotten to the point where anything they had in terms of wings should have been unusable. This was not the case.

Of course, I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that, but I thought my input might serve to confirm the fact a little bit. And, while I am here, I will also impart a few other tidbits of information, which might be of some importance considering the subject matter:

So, if you were thinking of shooting them out of the air and hacking them up, that won't work.

Thank you very much for this information!

On another note: I came up with a way to improve the OP a bit. I'll include a list of "rules" for how a piece of information is confirmed. If three people support a piece of information as true, it is confirmed.

However, if one person brings forth evidence of it being untrue, then it becomes untrue again.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:27 am »

2- I disagree with that, my marksdorfs are very effective against undead. Usually 1 shot killing them with bone bolts. Same goes for gobbos and caravans.
Auer try testing zombified elfs relation with non-zombie wildlife.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:54 am »

2- I disagree with that, my marksdorfs are very effective against undead. Usually 1 shot killing them with bone bolts. Same goes for gobbos and caravans.
Auer try testing zombified elfs relation with non-zombie wildlife.

I don't understand your request. Could you reword it please?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:20 am »

Animals don't bother elves I think he's asking if zombie animals leave them alone too.

I can also vouch for the effectiveness of bolts, they whittle away at the "hitpoints" the undead have.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:02 am »

Animals don't bother elves I think he's asking if zombie animals leave them alone too.

I can also vouch for the effectiveness of bolts, they whittle away at the "hitpoints" the undead have.

Oh, okay. Yes, I could try that. I'll need to gen a world where elves are hostile, but I could do it.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 10:23:49 am »

Your markdorfs must be godly, mine didn't do jack about the zombie hippoes and zombie gobbos, I only use them to chase away living siegers.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:39 am »

I guess I will also plan some tests on what weapons are most effective against zombies.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:57 am »

Some info about my latest evil region fort:

Undead aren't just arbitrarily walking in it seems. I do not know if dead things will rise or not yet. Also, it rains Filthy Slush, which seems to cause a new status symbol!

When it started raining Filthy Slush, EVERYTHING started flashing a red X.

Not a red +, a red X. There is no information on the wiki about it. Any ideas?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 11:08:19 am »

Fever.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 11:09:46 am »

Fever.

Ah, okay. Well this shouldn't be too bad then. Is fever lethal or does it just make the dwarves feel like crap?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 11:10:08 am »

PTW.  I'm liking all the undead science threads.  You seem to focus more on zombies, necros, and thralls, rather than vampires, which is good. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 11:17:02 am »

1. Hammers seem to do a good job of taking out undead, since undead don't/can't wear armour (as dying makes all equipped items be dropped). Many crushed heads await.

2. I wonder how much of the population would be a werebeast after 1000 years of world gen.

3. I wonder how many necromancers there would be after 1000 years of world gen.

4. I wonder how many necromancer-werebeasts there would be after 1000 years of world gen.

5. I wonder if I could get one to come to my fortress.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:27:37 am by Elf Lover »
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7