Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flaming Hordes  (Read 1632 times)

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flaming Hordes
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

Hi,

I took it upon myself to go directly to the edge of a volcano on the surface level in order to set up my operations and found myself besieged by three different kinds of fiery monsters.

It's the beginning of the second year, and I'm not really at all sure what to do as far as combat goes because this is the first attack I've experienced. Is there a way to avoid the magma monsters? Would feeding off magma from the main reserve towards my camp be a good idea, or would the monsters flow down the feed with the magma?

It seems that using magma is really the best option, I haven't a vast amount of trees available on my map and I would like my units to spend as little time on the surface as possible.

Thanks!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flaming Hordes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001621
describes a way to get rid of the monsters

But it's easier to just [d]ig a [c]hannel from the lava pit to somewhere near your entrance, and build smelters and forges beside the channel instead.

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

Will the monsters simply not go down the channel? I've seen too many burned alive today  :(

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

I've never seen them go down a channel. Mostly they just sit in the volcano unless there's a lot of traffic around the top to lure them out.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by atomicoctobot:
<STRONG>Will the monsters simply not go down the channel? I've seen too many burned alive today   :(</STRONG>
Unless you decide to make a channel wider than 1 square for some reason, no.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

My mistake (I had the same problem in the other thread) is that one of my trenches was actually over a wider part of the vent. So the mean beasties could get right up underneath my forges where they saw succulent dwarf flesh.

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

Well, I hadn't made my channel wider than one square but somehow a magma man managed to force his way down the channel and harass my dwarves. Eventually he got into the main area and I had to send dwarves in with their bare hands to stop the magma man. I suffered great casualties, and there seems to be smoke everywhere in the area where the magma man was slain.