Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Population limit  (Read 1842 times)

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population limit
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:08:20 pm »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good population limit on dwarves and children? Is the default ok? Or should it be higher or lower?

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population limit
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »

I usually set it to 50, but they don't acknowledge it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »

I usually set it to 50, but they don't acknowledge it.

The population limit only applies to migrants, and is judged by the population of your fort last seen by the outpost liason.

Set it to 1000. You will never get there  :'(

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »

I thought it was an actual hard limit on the game, not a gameplay mechanic based upon the observations of visiting officials. Anyways, the FPS hit hasn't been so bad since the latest update, so I don't really mind too much.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:16:47 pm »

The default value seems to be okay to me for most forts.  For me at least, 200 is about as high as I can go and keep any semblance of order to the fort, keep the booze flowing fast enough, and so on.

My current fort is an above ground fort though, and I'm finding it all but impossible to keep up with demands for housing.  With a below ground fort you can easily and quickly dig out a bedroom for each new arrival.  If you're building them, it takes far longer.  I set my pop cap to 50, ended up with about 70 before they stopped coming.

It took me 6 years to get an individual room built for everyone.  It felt great when I did though.  I find the smaller population to be quite cozy too.  I'm going to let the fort grow naturally, as I've got I think 4 or 5 married couples cranking out the kids.

Oh, and I've read reports in several places that 34.x might not be respecting population sizes right now.  Or it could just be that crap tons of kids are being born and people are confusing the migrant cap with the total fort population.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 02:25:33 pm »

Set it to 0.

Watch the game fuck itself and send you waves of dwarven children, who instantly grow to mature when one of your adult dwarves die.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:26:12 pm »

Thanks guys for your input. So i shouldn't mess with the child population cap at all then?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:44 pm »

The biggest problem my immigration office has is the fact that half of my migrants are over 30 years old and still considered children. This makes it rather difficult to assign jobs, and I end up having that many more freeloaders to keep happy.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »

half of my migrants are over 30 years old and still considered children

Err, are you playing with a mod or is this a bug?  Or do I just fail at reading comprehension?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:47:29 pm »

half of my migrants are over 30 years old and still considered children

Err, are you playing with a mod or is this a bug?  Or do I just fail at reading comprehension?

Possible vampire fortress.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 02:49:34 pm »

Totally vanilla, including ASCII graphics. They all turn into peasants on their first birthdays at the fort. It's a curious event, in any case.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 02:57:26 pm »

Currently having a lot of fun with a population limit of 7. :)

My actual population is in the low 20's, but if they die, they are not replaced by migrants.

theLumberJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe that rock!
    • View Profile
    • Musings and Photos
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:05:39 pm »

Where do you set the population limit?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »

/data/init/d_init.txt

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:09:59 pm »

See, this change doesn't make sense to me.

Think about it. You set the population limit in the init file. Before you start playing. Clearly, this means you told the Mountainhome, before you set off on your journey, "Look guys, we'll only want X amount of people in the new site. Make sure you don't send extras."

Why would they deliberately ignore this, just because an official hasn't visited yet? It was better the old way.

I've had to kill off multiple migrant waves because they keep sending me more, even though I'm already way over my 40-dwarf limit. If a liason never survives the trip to-and-from my gates, what then? Endless migrants, followed by endless annoying ghosts and having to carve endless annoying slabs for people I never knew, don't care about, and never wanted in the first place?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. I just strongly disagree with anyone who stands up for this as a sensible feature. It's not. :P If the init file deliberately ignored any other user settings, there would be uproar about it.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: [1] 2