Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slow world generation  (Read 3334 times)

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Slow world generation
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:35:30 am »

Is there any fix for slow world generation? The worst part is history generation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't have much problems with other stages of generation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Slow world generation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:40:57 am »

1: Wow, haven't seen this thread posted before!
2: Gen shorter worlds.  Why do you need such a long world gen?  If you're just playing fortress mode then the history time doesn't matter all that much, although older worlds get more necromancers, vampires, etc you can still get all of this within about 200 years.  If you're after dragons, mod them to [CHILD:100] and you're set.
3: Gen smaller worlds.  Same reasons as above, chances are you're not going to utilize the whole world size anyways.
4: Less site and/or fewer civs.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:45:30 am »

The world gens are much slower now simply because there's a lot more things being tracked now. It's only going to get longer from here on out, probably.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:12:06 pm »

Why do you need such a long world gen?
I want to fight some adult dragons. (they grow up after about 1000y without mods) Thanks for the 100y old dragons, never thought about that
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:13:48 pm by Melzer »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:32 pm »

If you're after dragons, mod them to [CHILD:100] and you're set.
For that matter mod them to [CHILD:1] or something.  We don't quite have the luxury of naturally aged dragons anymore.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100732.0

I'd pretty much confirmed it to be werecreatures. If you're unlucky they explode in growth and their attacks bog the system down fast. If you're extremely lucky they're kept in check and you can generate more.  With were curses at 0 I could always generate a 1050 world without too much trouble (slower than last version but that has to be expected given the growth of stuff tracked) but with werecurses at default or higher yeah it takes either a LONG time or crashes out depending.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »

20 Minutes!  Holy crap that makes my computer feel inadequate.  It crashes close to the year 200 and it takes about 15 min 20 min to get that far...

I feel an upgrade coming on.

Abraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:06:03 am »

20 Minutes!  Holy crap that makes my computer feel inadequate.  It crashes close to the year 200 and it takes about 15 min 20 min to get that far...

I feel an upgrade coming on.

In all honesty I don't think worldgen is that dependent on your hardware at the moment.  Unless you have very old tech, it's mostly software bottlenecking (DF itself, and the limits of your OS, neither being that effective at handling the latest tech).

I think you'd be disappointing if you spent a bunch of money upgrading just to get better worldgen speeds.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:00:47 am »

Takes me about 30 minutes to gen a 250 year old world using the default settings in basic world gen.  There are about four times as many historical figures than with 0.31.x, however, which is where most of the issue is (more things to track, and more interactions with things being tracked).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:39 am »

If you're after dragons, mod them to [CHILD:100] and you're set.
For that matter mod them to [CHILD:1] or something.  We don't quite have the luxury of naturally aged dragons anymore.

I did that once. Don't. Dragons breed and mature super fast, wiping out civs before they get a chance to grow. I managed to gen a world with only elf races, it was quite surprising.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 02:58:55 am »

The world gens are much slower now simply because there's a lot more things being tracked now. It's only going to get longer from here on out, probably.

I somewhere saw a mini-!!science!!, somebody genned a world without any werecreatures, and it was alot faster, seemingly...
(tough if you go to adventure mode, you can nearly only get quests for the 10+ lairs inhabited by naked peasants)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:07 am »

I am currently in year 350 with 4 hours of world-gen. My computer is new and relatively high-end.

I cut down were-curses to 6.

Civ's and populations are below base. Currently the total population is under 10k.

I am fine with World Gen taking so long, but I just wish the client was better able to handle the problems. I can't even abandon the process mid-way after year 250, because the client has stopped responding to escape commands.

This is faster than another World I was genning before.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 03:59:10 am »

Weird. I can usually get world gens to 300 years in 10 minutes. Then it tails off and goes clunky anywhere past that. Before the main update I always got 1100 year old worlds in 15 mins max. 4 year old PC here. Plus hang in there on the world gen speed. Toady is working on it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:00:45 am by Lexx »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 04:25:13 am »

I just opened the File to make Dragons grow faster like Girlinhat suggested, and I can't see the Tag for them. Am I blind or do they not have a Child tag???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 04:50:58 am »

I just opened the File to make Dragons grow faster like Girlinhat suggested, and I can't see the Tag for them. Am I blind or do they not have a Child tag???
Weird... i cant find it either.
just try adding it in anyway, for !!science!!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2