No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 359780 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1725 on: November 08, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »

OOC: I'm about ready to request that someone else please take this over. I'm getting into writing on other projects now as well as trying to snag a job in RL so things are tightening up for me. If no one wants it I'll keep at it, but updates might be slow. I apologize profusely for the wait (And the wall of text) on this one. Note that my mood may yet inexplicably change and I might get hit by inspiration and do another update, or at least part of one. But that remains to be seen, and I'd rather not keep you guys waiting like that again if I can avoid it.

--------------------

Spoiler: Moonies (click to show/hide)

The sun appears to be calming down now, though 'calm' is indeed subjective at this point. The possibility of another sudden violent solar event remains quite high.

The naming votes for the AI are tallied; oddly enough, the name DFW-1 (Dwarf Fortress Winner 1) was the winner. No records of a 'Dwarf Fortress' exist anywhere in current memory, leaving one to wonder just where the Humans derived such a name from, to say nothing of why it was picked over more conventional names such as 'Daedalus', 'Helios' or even 'NOBLE'. For now, however, that topic has been filed away for future reference; perhaps someday it may help us understand more about the strange ways of organics.

Hungry for an advantage over their rivals, several of the more militaristic factions on the garden world of Gaia are showing a dangerous level of interest in the atmosphere & temperature maintenance facilities. It is unknown whether they will be able to defeat the deadly bladed robot guardians or even get inside to begin with, but in any case, military camps and numerous weapon emplacements are beginning to sprout up around the exterior of the alien structures.

The frigid, virgin planet of Shiva is considered once more, this time for serious development; the sheer remoteness of the planet coupled with its natural cavern system make it a very attractive location to site any projects or structures that require stealth either for military & government considerations or to minimize public relations backlash from questionable research projects. It will take some time to properly scan for any fault lines, geothermal vents and other features before any permanent structures can be placed, of course, but that is only a matter of time, and the prospect of secret biological and genetic research laboratories -- as a start -- is a powerfully tempting one.

On the 'homeworld' of Aries, terraforming efforts suffered a minor setback this month due to malfunctions with some of the orbital solar lenses used to melt the ice; their alignment went out of control, causing them to scorch a few of the sparse trees and grasses and almost immolate one of the industrial compost piles before the issue could be resolved. Thankfully, no one was hurt much.

The colony on Aquarius has grown quite noticeably over the past few years. Several secure, shielded biospheres in the shallow waters contain small residential areas, cloning facilities of all kinds and a booming algae products industry. The most interesting development comes from outside the colony, however; guided through the efforts of the experienced contact team, a handful of the Avians have successfully learned to create and harness fire. The by and large reaction, however, was one of fear and superstition; while showing no real signs of anger or stark terror, it may take some time for the rest of them to embrace this new concept and phenomenon.

Scientists throughout the system have been ordered to attempt to develop a lightweight, heat-resistant material that could be used in sturdy transport craft, colloquially dubbed Dropships, capable of operating in extreme conditions ranging from the surface of an asteroid to landing and exiting a planets atmosphere with minimal effort. Their response is graphene, an exceptionally strong yet light pure carbon molecule sheet, alloyed with a thick layer of titanium armor and supported by nanobots for repairs. The design is remarkably straightforward and already heavily supported by previous advances in materials, making it more an issue of application rather than genuine research. This has also unexpectedly given our R&D teams numerous interesting ideas; drop-pods to rapidly deploy personnel and equipment from orbit and boarding pods to attach to and cut through a ships hull being a couple notable examples. But that is neither here nor there at this time.

The real focus of research this month was into rechargeable, high energy density power cells which could greatly improve the operational life and efficiency of many current systems. R&D proudly reports that they have succeeded in this area and that the first working units have already passed testing. Interestingly, an enterprising group on Aries calling themselves the Janus Corporation have already expressed considerable interest in this technology. In fact, they have requested the designs and the permission to open a small factory station near Hephaestus for the express purpose of mass-producing these cells for various commercial and industrial applications.

Spoiler: Battleship (click to show/hide)

Time lapsed in system: 7 years, 9 months

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:52:45 pm by Xvareon »

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 08, 2012, 11:27:47 pm »

Well thanks for writing, Xvareon.
I say we should continue with the film festival and also consider a relocation of the AI eventually.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: November 09, 2012, 01:24:09 am »

Those Consortium bastards!  I sense an external influence and suggest a full scale investigation into their motives and identities.  All future battleship designs should be produced or vetted out by an internal design bureau.  Possibly consider having AIs and IFF systems integrated into future designs in order to prevent friendly fire incidents. 
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »

rebuild the orbital plants, with some more holding weapons, tell the civilians that it was due to the consortium an that we are looking into HOW, we are taking stems to prevent another, then do that. lock down Gaia.

dropships are normally one way. unless the whole thing is called a dropship. all it is is a pod that lands, unloads or gets loaded, then boosts into orbit where it is picked up.

approve Janus' proposal, with government oversight.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: November 09, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »

[Reinitializing]
[Initialized]
[Recommendation: Reconstruct Facilities.]
[Recommendation: Construct DNA-scanning security devices into the facilities to prevent unauthorized access.]
[Recommendation:  Equip with Less-than-lethal 'knockout' devices.]
[Recommendation:  Move the AI to a more secure location.]
[Information Requested:  What do we know of the Consortium?]
[Information Requested:  What are important events that have happened since shutdown of this subroutine?]
[Going into Standby]
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: November 10, 2012, 03:49:15 am »

Those Consortium bastards!  I sense an external influence and suggest a full scale investigation into their motives and identities.  All future battleship designs should be produced or vetted out by an internal design bureau.  Possibly consider having AIs and IFF systems integrated into future designs in order to prevent friendly fire incidents. 
Maybe a possible link with the Gaian terrorists?

rebuild the orbital plants, with some more holding weapons, tell the civilians that it was due to the consortium an that we are looking into HOW, we are taking stems to prevent another, then do that. lock down Gaia.

dropships are normally one way. unless the whole thing is called a dropship. all it is is a pod that lands, unloads or gets loaded, then boosts into orbit where it is picked up.

approve Janus' proposal, with government oversight.
1. No equiping the orbital plants with weaponry. That'll make them a justified military target, putting people at risk.
2. Also, why do you want to lock down Gaia. The ship was constructed in Aries orbit.
3. A dropship is 2 way. A droppod is the thing that only flies once.

Well thanks for writing, Xvareon.
I say we should continue with the film festival and also consider a relocation of the AI eventually.
These sound like they'll be bait for the terrorists.

Some other notes:

1. The AI has already been relocated. There's a safe copy in a hidden Aries bunker, for example.
2. The Battleship takeover is a large problem. I propose we construct a memorial station in Hephaistos orbit as wel as doing nessecairy repairs.

Spoiler: Adjustable action plan (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: November 10, 2012, 08:14:16 pm »

i thought that the people who attacked were on Gaia...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: November 12, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »

Nope. The answers to some of your questions (except the whodunnit, of course) can be found digging back through the posts a ways.

Also you guys got lucky this round. Really lucky; most of your rolls were fours or higher. But will you be as lucky in the next? xD

P.S: I want my evil smiley, damn you Bay 12 Forums :C  Oh and did anyone know 'whodunnit' is an actual word?  :D

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: November 12, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »

slang.
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: November 12, 2012, 01:46:43 pm »

I suggest a new plan for human security. This top secret plan, entitled plan 42 will only be told of to ourselves. When asked about the requirement for replacement, tell them that current fusion drives contain a flaw, which can result in flaring out when put to extreme stress. (war scenarios)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: November 12, 2012, 02:00:40 pm »

+1.
and also:
Shivia: build a tracking station and a vault deep within the crust for a maven/AI vault. a place where the mavens can escape to and where we have a backup.
Highly Opinionated Fool

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: November 12, 2012, 02:01:52 pm »

Also add the dropships.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: November 12, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »

what?

i say we build some and add the lockout systems on those to.
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: November 12, 2012, 02:36:14 pm »

+1.
and also:
Shivia: build a tracking station and a vault deep within the crust for a maven/AI vault. a place where the mavens can escape to and where we have a backup.
We're still doing preliminary research there, I believe. Also, what's up with saving the mavens. (I mean, why them.)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: November 12, 2012, 02:51:45 pm »

because they are least likely to kill us.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117