No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 359878 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1665 on: October 05, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »

Maybe I could help you with the moonies if you want

That would be great, thanks. It's just that I have trouble coming up with ideas sometimes. PM me what you come up with, and that goes for anyone else who'd like to help too.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 06, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »

Why don't we get the mavens involved in the Moonies, since they are probably really doing nothing inventive right now.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1667 on: October 06, 2012, 08:55:09 pm »

The Mavens are working with human medicine, regearing will take several months, during which the RNG will throw something at the colonist and we will be off balance, besides if proposal goes through we will have a lot more to deal with when it comes to the Moonies.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 08, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

The Moonies having a plague could actually be good for us. I say we send the "ambassadors" back empty-handed. If they can sort out their own problems, good for them. If they can't, good for us; we get the whole system all to ourselves AND all the technology they'll leave behind when they die out! We might even want to consider waging war on them as the plague hits its peak, thus ensuring their culture's collapse.

Yeah, its heartless, but we ARE a heartless computer program, a program who's only function is to help our human colonists.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 08, 2012, 02:38:18 pm »

I say we hold off on that plan yet; I'm still interested to see their side of history during when we were at cold war against them.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1670 on: October 08, 2012, 04:44:30 pm »

Oh don't worry their side of the story will be ... "interesting"

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 08, 2012, 10:41:53 pm »

First off, everybody is forgetting that we are dealing with a deasease. We need to set up a quarinten. We dont know how it will effect our race. Second, even if they die out, we wont know how to decode their systems to use their tech. Third, we may need them in the future. They may be holding  bigger bad back.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 09, 2012, 12:31:19 am »

First off, everybody is forgetting that we are dealing with a deasease. We need to set up a quarinten. We dont know how it will effect our race. Second, even if they die out, we wont know how to decode their systems to use their tech. Third, we may need them in the future. They may be holding  bigger bad back.
We're dealing with an alien species. There's no way that a disease can spread between our races. Besides, the different environements needed for them and us to survive prevent direct contact.

@Urist McDwarfFortress: I propose we start research on the moonie biology anyway. It'd gain us quite a lot, and we don't need to find a cure. Just promise we'd try.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:11 am »

We're dealing with an alien species. There's no way that a disease can spread between our races. Besides, the different environements needed for them and us to survive prevent direct contact.

@Urist McDwarfFortress: I propose we start research on the moonie biology anyway. It'd gain us quite a lot, and we don't need to find a cure. Just promise we'd try.
Bird flu was named that because it was a disease that mainly infected avians. Avians are not mammals. In fact, the way most "infections" work (as far as my medical knowledge goes) is that there is a foreign body or element within yours, that is noted as such, by your body. Your body then tries to force the foreign invader out of the body by braking it down through antibodies and heat. Please correct me where I am wrong.

We also do not currently know the nature of their illnesses, so it could very well be something that would have been like a common cold to us, becoming a horrid virus through them, and can be cross adaptable. it could also be the virus we fought off far earlier, and they had sent a spy into our camp, which got infected, brought it back to their race, and they are suffering the consequences.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:39 am »

Bird flu was named that because it was a disease that mainly infected avians. Avians are not mammals. In fact, the way most "infections" work (as far as my medical knowledge goes) is that there is a foreign body or element within yours, that is noted as such, by your body. Your body then tries to force the foreign invader out of the body by braking it down through antibodies and heat. Please correct me where I am wrong.

We also do not currently know the nature of their illnesses, so it could very well be something that would have been like a common cold to us, becoming a horrid virus through them, and can be cross adaptable. it could also be the virus we fought off far earlier, and they had sent a spy into our camp, which got infected, brought it back to their race, and they are suffering the consequences.
Mamals and avians still use the same DNA, and have a common ancestor. Besides, 99.9 % of the microbiology only targets a few species. The reason that bird flu became such a threat, is because they are livestock. Cultivated in close proximity of humans, and subject to a lot of antibiotics which allows their immuntity to them to raise. Besides, bird flu is a strain of a virus that also targets humans. Moonies and humans don't, hence there are no similarities for the disease to latch on to. Unless there's a divine creator, or panspermia, both are incredibly unlikely.

You're wrong. That's the definition of an allergic reaction. Which could indeed happen, but hell, the same thing happens should you get a bit of metal in your hand, or anything else that isn't supposed to be there. An allergic reaction can be the cause of an infection but, an allergic reaction can't become a plage. A disease/plague is when something starts attacking and hacking yourself, and your immune system (fails to )react(s) adequately to this. Allergic reactions can't repeat themselves.

It can't be cross infectious, because the aliens are remarkably similair to us There's no way that the disease could survive in both their and our bodies. So ,while an accidental transmission can cause some problems for some time, the disease will quickly die off. Reason for this is:

-Viral infection. Relies on hijacking cells, implementing RNA or Dna and copying itself. Extraterrestials have no reason to have these. Besides, their cel structures are most likely radicaly different.

-Bacterial or other infection: Relies on disguising itself to prevent triggering the antibodies or their Moonie equivalent. Or being immune to them. Then eats cells, then reproduces. There are 3 problems here:
              -The bacteria and immune system have never seen each other. Hence the bacteria can't be immune, or disguised. At worst this triggers an alergic reaction which kills the Moonie, but it can't spread since the bacteria die too.
              -Eating cells: Moonie cells have no reason to be composed in the same ways as our cells.
              -Reproduction: This relies heavily on body temperature. Considering moonies live on the moons, which are nearly always freezing, and even the oceans below are probably artic, the body temperature for Moonies will not be within the tolerable limits for allmost all bacteria (And those that can survive there can't survive in our body.) This is why you get fevers, for example. The body raises it's temperature in an attempt to kill the intruder.

Mainly, this trope is the one you're looking for.

Besides, a sort off Quarantine is already in effect, due to the fact that Moonies and Humans can't survive in the same athmosphere/ circumstances.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:33:28 am by 10ebbor10 »

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1675 on: October 09, 2012, 10:35:30 am »

Anyone who wants to invade the Moonies, I'm just going to say will have to wage a war of extermination for certain reasons and that will not be popular.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 09, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »

Ok. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Ebber.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1677 on: October 09, 2012, 05:32:38 pm »

Hey guys if you want me to simulate a conversation with the Moonie party you can ask me.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »

Besides the extreme unlikeliness of cross contamination, the Moonies are already effectively quarantined by having to have their own atmosphere. They can't breath the same air as humans, therefore, any meeting between the two groups would have to have one or the other wearing an environmental suit anyway. Just wash our E-suits off with clorox or something if we ever go in their habitat.

As far as the possibility of war with the Moonies, that suggestion was for a future possible course of action. We should wait and watch for now. If they show signs of imminent collapse, THEN we should attack. Only attack when they are completely decimated by disease and unable to pose a threat to us.

Why would we pursue a war of extermination? That seems a bit wasteful. Simply destroy their government and their means to wage war, then we could keep them around under close guard with no political power. Indoctrinate them into our culture and eventually (over many generations) they will be integrated in with us into one, big, multiracial culture.
...on a related note: Happy Columbus Day!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:40:12 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1679 on: October 09, 2012, 05:40:40 pm »

Just going to say integrating the Moonies at this point would be impossible. If you create an simulated AI to Moonie discussion you might be able to pick up on it.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 117