No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 359916 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1635 on: October 01, 2012, 05:47:06 pm »

Could their blood be hemocyanin instead of hemoglobin then, perhaps? I read somewhere once hemocyanin is alot more efficient than hemoglobin in low oxygen-pressure environments. The only major species I've seen it with have been molluscs and crabs.

Crraab pe-pull.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1636 on: October 01, 2012, 05:56:11 pm »

Could their blood be hemocyanin instead of hemoglobin then, perhaps? I read somewhere once hemocyanin is alot more efficient than hemoglobin in low oxygen-pressure environments. The only major species I've seen it with have been molluscs and crabs.

Crraab pe-pull.

Sure but you can make a methane based whip like creature with a massive core for the brain.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:07 am »

..... Well, if nothing else, cleanup after a scrap will be easy since their bodies can pretty much incinerate themselves.

nah. Floating whip gasbags is fun, but... meh. OK let's assume for a moment its crab people... can they be humanoid crabs? do we want to end up with over a million Dr. Zoidbergs? and just how limited would they be using claws to manipulate tools and such?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40:22 am »

..... Well, if nothing else, cleanup after a scrap will be easy since their bodies can pretty much incinerate themselves.

nah. Floating whip gasbags is fun, but... meh. OK let's assume for a moment its crab people... can they be humanoid crabs? do we want to end up with over a million Dr. Zoidbergs? and just how limited would they be using claws to manipulate tools and such?
Crabs can be possible, but there's little reason for anything to be humanoid. The reason we went bipedal is energy conservation by avoiding sunlight, something there's no need for on the Moons. Most likely they might still be semiaquatic. Tentacles?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 02, 2012, 11:12:50 am »

Crabs can be possible, but there's little reason for anything to be humanoid. The reason we went bipedal is energy conservation by avoiding sunlight, something there's no need for on the Moons. Most likely they might still be semiaquatic. Tentacles?

Oooh, I forgot about that... thanks, ebbor. but semi-aquatic...um... correct me if I'm wrong but bodies of standing water are a bit tough to find on moons. Unless of course they were heated by geothermal activity, or underground.

btw I'd appreciate it if you could summarize 5 major suggestions for actions this turn via one of your patented wallposts. It'll help me greatly soon. This is apparently going to be quite the wall of text when I'm through; I also redid the info sections a bit for clarity.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 02, 2012, 11:15:00 am »

Oooh, I forgot about that... thanks, ebbor. but semi-aquatic...um... correct me if I'm wrong but bodies of standing water are a bit tough to find on moons. Unless of course they were heated by geothermal activity, or underground.

btw I'd appreciate it if you could summarize 5 major suggestions for actions this turn via one of your patented wallposts. It'll help me greatly soon. This is apparently going to be quite the wall of text when I'm through; I also redid the info sections a bit for clarity.
I was thinking about an Europa like moon, which would be the most logical place for life to form. Then again, the moons don't need to be the Moonies natural habitat.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 02, 2012, 11:53:34 am »

Europa receives over 540 rem of radiation per day. If that's what's to be expected for a gas giant's moon then any major life developing there would absolutely have to be at least semi-aquatic or subterranean... hmm.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 02, 2012, 12:18:00 pm »

Quick reference ( that I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Moonies: initiate talks. Try to find out how they got here, and be a bit suspicious at first.
2. Design weapons capable of penetrating the planned battleship.
3. Put in safeguards and early warning system in case of solar flares.
4-5. ?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 02, 2012, 04:21:20 pm »

Quick reference ( that I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Moonies: initiate talks. Try to find out how they got here, and be a bit suspicious at first.
2. Design weapons capable of penetrating the planned battleship.
3. Put in safeguards(if possible a EMP proof electronics or anything related to electronics) and early warning system("space weather system") in case of solar flares.
4. Rebuild Hephaestus make it more autonomous and robust with multiple redundancies to insure more explosions don't happen in the future.
5. Make batteries that are capable to store vast amounts of energy.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:23 pm »

1. This mostly relies on the development of lightweight armour. This is also being priorized on due the danger of a flare. see #3
2. I would just add the droppod as escape pods to all current vessels.  cargo is nice too... and also, whats the plan if we cant land shuttles to land troops? or for spaces where shuttles are much to large?
3. Since EMP= Flare proof.  I think we want those. Lets expand it to electronics though.
4.The addition of a cloning facility is certainly interesting. Were do we hide it.? ice planet, in the caverns.
5. We have hydroponics systems for a long time already. I mean, there are giant farms in orbit. ((Oh crap, another thing that can blow up.)) exactly

Also, I'm now commenting in white. Better? no.
this please.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 02, 2012, 05:15:01 pm »

We should contact the main Moonie bases, and let them know their diplomats have arrived safely. Use this message to make sure they sent the diplomats. If they are confused by our message and don't know anything about any diplomats, then arrest the false diplomats as spies and/or saboteurs.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 02, 2012, 05:16:35 pm »

yes. cant beleve we did not think of that
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 02, 2012, 06:19:33 pm »

We did... that was suggested a ways back... and I voted for it... xD

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1648 on: October 02, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »

I smell a conflict of interests (say this so your voice which you should start high gets even higher)
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 02, 2012, 06:44:01 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I suggested it way back when, but people seemed to have forgotten about it, so I figured I'd better re-post it.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 117