No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 359915 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1560 on: September 13, 2012, 12:15:30 pm »

Well, things seem to be slowing down discussion-wise, so I'll try to slap together a post in the next day or so. Be on the lookout!
QUICK, SUMMERY!
1. what to do with moonie ambassadors? I personally favour diplomacy & give them translator program.
2. check on nuke??
3. develop weapons capable of penetrating proposed armour/shields of battleship?
4-5. ?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: September 13, 2012, 12:32:18 pm »

Much better Summary.

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Construction (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other actions (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 13, 2012, 02:31:31 pm »

Much better Summary.

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Construction (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other actions (click to show/hide)
Plan? What plan? (sorry, can't remember)
Agree with summery.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: September 13, 2012, 02:32:22 pm »

The semiconsensus from 5 pages ago. Didn't feel like copying it.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:22 pm »

Plans for Aries terraforming: there was two option a couple of pages back.

1. Fusion bomb the ice caps.
2. use small scale explosives to break apart the ice caps then use the orbital lasers to melt the ice.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1565 on: September 13, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »

No nuking things, we will do it the the slow way.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 13, 2012, 07:14:58 pm »

slow key? ive never heard of that but now i rather like it.

slow key....... has a ring to it, am i right?

Anyways,

1: new armor tech requiring no power.
2: standardised containers
3: more us'es in places like our power planets and everywhere we need instant communication. if the moonies can wipeout out probes, they might be able to screw with our comms
4:Verps.
5: dropships. hey, never hurts to be prepared. make one that can be used for cargo or troops, we might want to bomb someone with food someday.
5: Dyson rings. around the sun, can act as power, survalance, weapon systems, and lots o fun.
6: moar food tech? im thinking grain in a box. shipping containers growing lotsa short, high yield grain.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1567 on: September 13, 2012, 07:36:17 pm »

I said slow way.

Anyways,

1: new armor tech requiring no power. While this is possible I think I know what you actually mean by this and that is impossible, for the record I think he wants power armor without a need for power, may be wrong
2: standardised containers Unnecessary, and besides I'm sure the current system which has been in place for several years will work
3: more us'es in places like our power planets and everywhere we need instant communication. if the moonies can wipeout out probes, they might be able to screw with our comms Sure propose something hypothetical, while I can think of several methods with shreds of plausibility I am sure Ebbor can shoot them down
4:Verps.I'm sorry but Ebbors point still stands
5: dropships. hey, never hurts to be prepared. make one that can be used for cargo or troops, we might want to bomb someone with food someday. Please tell us a way to this cheaply, and don't say gravity control because we wouldn't need these if we had it
5: Dyson rings. around the sun, can act as power, survalance, weapon systems, and lots o fun. Counter proposal, a way to make matter decay into energy, reason why we shouldn't do this, We simply don't have the resources in system, physically, plus I don't think you know that this would be more trouble than it is worth.
6: moar food tech? im thinking grain in a box. shipping containers growing lotsa short, high yield grain.If we wanted to solve this problem permanently, we would find the necessary elements, through them into a forge, and take out the compounds we want, we only farm because we don't feel it necessary to invest in the infrastructure.

I'm doing this Ebbor style, please keep in mind this is supposed to be at least plausible when proposing something.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:37:51 pm by SoHowAreYou »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:45 pm »

owch.

ok, first i apologize for the misunderstanding.

I said slow way.

Anyways,

1: new armor tech requiring no power. While this is possible I think I know what you actually mean by this and that is impossible, for the record I think he wants power armor without a need for power, may be wrong
2: standardised containers Unnecessary, and besides I'm sure the current system which has been in place for several years will workok, i agree with that, i guess...
3: more us'es in places like our power planets and everywhere we need instant communication. if the moonies can wipeout out probes, they might be able to screw with our comms Sure propose something hypothetical, while I can think of several methods with shreds of plausibility I am sure Ebbor can shoot them down copies of the AI located on planits with landlines connecting them to infrastructure we need to control even if offworld comms dies.
4:Verps.I'm sorry but Ebbors point still stands ok.
5: dropships. hey, never hurts to be prepared. make one that can be used for cargo or troops, we might want to bomb someone with food someday. Please tell us a way to this cheaply, and don't say gravity control because we wouldn't need these if we had it big box. rockets on end. crashes into atmosphere, goes thru, lands. a capsule.
5: Dyson rings. around the sun, can act as power, survalance, weapon systems, and lots o fun. Counter proposal, a way to make matter decay into energy, reason why we shouldn't do this, We simply don't have the resources in system, physically, plus I don't think you know that this would be more trouble than it is worth. allrighty then
6: moar food tech? im thinking grain in a box. shipping containers growing lotsa short, high yield grain.If we wanted to solve this problem permanently, we would find the necessary elements, through them into a forge, and take out the compounds we want, we only farm because we don't feel it necessary to invest in the infrastructure. what if the forges die? well still need food for the organics.

I'm doing this Ebbor style, please keep in mind this is supposed to be at least plausible when proposing something. for just about everything i did. even the verps. i was thinking a airsoft sort of thing, but i concede that point.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1569 on: September 13, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »

Actually the forges on their own can produce the molecules, plus they would die under the same conditions as a hydroponics lab

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 13, 2012, 09:25:18 pm »

Wait do you mean the nano-factories, I thought they just assemble the atoms to something useful and not actually produce them.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1571 on: September 13, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »

They assemble useful things like molecules in food

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 13, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »

After a brief period of confusion over the sudden appearance of the Moonies, a small delegation that is representative of the human planets is put together: three representatives from Gaia, two Mavens, a colonial leader from Aries, and a delegate from Hephaestus and Aquarius each. The Moonie delegation keeps to themselves on their ship once they are informed that the human party is on its way, citing differences in the atmosphere and wanting to keep strain on their life support systems to a minimum.

As to how the Moonie craft snuck up on the station, that is less clear. The ship came up on the station from outside the eliptical, and the station officer eventually admits that they had grown lax about monitoring the Moonie activity. So while it is possible that some serious deception or advanced cloaking was employed, there really is no way to tell at this point in time, as passive scanners don't reveal anything.

The delegation begins preliminary meetings with the Moonies, and the details are still mostly logistical at this point in time: how to deal with the different atmospheric and gravitational requirements being first and foremost. Plans are hatched for a small capsule to be constructed by the nano-factory that will meet most of the needs of the negotiators, which will be completed the next month. This gives the AI time to send any specific instructions to the negotiators. The Moonies are still being vague about their reasons, just that they "Need to open a dialogue for the mutual benefit of both races." The translation programs have, as expected, become much more efficient in the last few years.

Research continues at a furious pace elsewhere in system. The Mavens take to working on Biomedicines based on different plants, but drug research is generally a long-term project, and with no specific disease to aim to cure, most of the research is exploratory. Still, it is a promising start.

Work on a miniaturized fusion reactor proves to be deadly this month, as catastrophe strikes. Despite serious precautions, a containment field critically fails on Hephaestus, causing a massive explosion that destroys almost half of the massive research station. Casualties number in the hundreds, and the infrastructure will take several months to repair. Thankfully, the explosion failed to damage the massive orbital hydrogen tanks, which were on the other side of the station. That would have certainly wiped out the entire facility.

With this crisis striking, no other research is undertaken, and the particle accelerator plans are put on hold as schematics are checked and re-checked for safety. Additionally, murmurs of protest into further research into this field reach the AI. Humans will be very resistant to continued efforts to miniaturize fusion reactors.

This disaster distracts from other efforts, as well. The space telescope continues its scanning, and finds some disturbing anomalies in the sun. Perhaps that dreaded solar flare that planners have been discussing since first landing is in the makings. But, as is the nature of these things, one can never be sure.

Despite the tragedy, work continues on terraforming Aries. Great success is found using conventional explosives and the orbital lenses, and the ice caps begin to give way to the efforts of man and machine. Thankfully, an intelligent engineer mapped out a flow lane and final resevoir for the ice caps to melt into. Miraculously, at the end of the month, there are reports of small, wispy clouds in the polar region.

On Gaia, however, grim news follows. Police in one of the major city-states have uncovered a large cell of anti-progress terrorists. Their swift action to shut down the cell narrowly averted a massive terrorist strike against a number of civilian targets.

In these difficult times, a close monitoring of the nuclear weapon facility is ordered. Thankfully, the weapon is still secure on a remote bunker on Aries.

Time lapsed in system: 7 years, 7 months

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1573 on: September 14, 2012, 09:16:37 am »

Strike a bargin with the humans, saying that while research will continue, it will be put on hold while build a station that allows for humans to do the research remotely, as it should have been, also maybe research away too turn mass into energy directly.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:02 am »

I think micro-generators are inferior to advanced batteries, it's much better option to refuel ships at base, then supply them with complex, prone to break systems

We have many bases all over system, so it's not problem to refuel. I really suggest to concentrate on avalanched rechargeable batteries, or even cheap massproduced one time batteries, much more practical and safe than small generators. And we can Aerotransmit power for even easier refueling

Also try to launch some kind of trade with moonies, I suggest to request  various gases for our chemical industry, offer metal instead. Another option to sell energy, if we find a way to build batteries cheaply. We have many methods to produce huge amounts of energy. from fusion to geothermal and solar.

Solar power generating ships that will fly as close to sun as it's possible can produce insane amounts of energy, even better then fusion generators. Hell, we can build hundreds of thousands km long solar planets, orbiting freely around sun. That may be more effective then fusion and we can keep one more industry in space

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 117