No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360013 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1470 on: August 16, 2012, 03:01:30 pm »

Everyone seems to be stuck thinking that a WMD would need to be nuclear. Really, if we use a pure fusion bomb there won't be any excess radiation. We still need to develop a pure fusion bomb though.

Also, doing it on an other planet would defeat the entire point of it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 16, 2012, 04:24:40 pm »

AFAIK, fusion bombs need a fission bomb to set them off - you need to create lots and lots of heat in a tiny space for fusion to take place, and there's no better thing for that than good ol' uncontrolled fission chain reactions. Also, melt loads of ice by solar power but its reflective properties make that impossible? Soot is your friend! The soviets almost used that to heat Siberia... good thing they didn't :D

10ebbor10, are your forum games still active? Or dead? Or in hiatus? Or... I dunno, but could you tell?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 16, 2012, 04:40:04 pm »

Been AFK, so to speak, for a bit. Will work on getting a post up this weekend, but there also seems to be some contention on two issues:

1) WMDs on ice caps on Aries
2) Battleship dilemma (poll is basically tied, get more info has a slight lead last I checked)

So go ahead and keep arguing about that. I'll post when it seems like a conclusion has been reached (or I feel the discussion has stagnated).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 16, 2012, 04:45:04 pm »

AFAIK, fusion bombs need a fission bomb to set them off - you need to create lots and lots of heat in a tiny space for fusion to take place, and there's no better thing for that than good ol' uncontrolled fission chain reactions. Also, melt loads of ice by solar power but its reflective properties make that impossible? Soot is your friend! The soviets almost used that to heat Siberia... good thing they didn't :D

10ebbor10, are your forum games still active? Or dead? Or in hiatus? Or... I dunno, but could you tell?

We can try to use a strong enough laser pulse combined with conventional explosives to make a non radioactive fusion bomb. It's gonna be hard, but possible.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 16, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »

We can try to use a strong enough laser pulse combined with conventional explosives to make a non radioactive fusion bomb. It's gonna be hard, but possible.
I mainly posted to ask about your stuff...
Also, look up the Z-machine. Fusion bombs without fission sadly are a big no.

Soot, soot, soot to heat the ice! Preserves our WMDs for more... noble purposes.
(Yes, killing loads of people is a noble purpose. Overpopulation and all that jazz :P )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 16, 2012, 04:51:47 pm »

My games are all in flux for the moment.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00:10 pm »

This month sees a crippling obsession with the idea of using nuclear weapons on the ice caps of Aries, or possibly Shiva. A sense of tunnel vision, an almost single-minded focus on this issue splits the AI subroutines nearly down the middle. So much time is spent debating this one minor issue that nearly no other directives are issued this month. And neither side ends up making a convincing argument, either. So the status quo persists.

Contacting the Moonies again is one of the few tasks undertaken outside the crippling stalemate of debate. There is some back and forth in the dialogue, and some vague allusions to another meeting in the near future. No real progress is made, and no true details are hammered out.

More research is done into the background of the shipbuilding consortium, and they continue to check out. After some unobtrusive DNA sampling, it is clear that they are in fact, humans. Their lack of children is explained away quite convincingly, as none of them seem to have an ounce of nurturing or protectiveness in their personality. They are truly addicted to their work.

A few of their number do come from Aquarius, but they seem to have been born there. Being one of the numerous new generation grown in the advanced reproductive centers dotting the system, they emerged quick to maturity and quickly began to study military history and naval theory there. After a few semesters in the military schools on Aries, they dropped out to join the consortium.

As a whole, the group seems to be growing tired of the wait. They go so far as to send an ultimatum: proceed with the project, or they will withdraw their bid and refuse to cooperate with the AI.

Activity elsewhere in the system continues more or less unobserved by the AI. No major developments occur, but neither do any major setbacks.

Time lapsed in system: 7 years, 5 months

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1477 on: August 19, 2012, 02:07:24 pm »

Take the deal
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 19, 2012, 02:13:56 pm »

Take the deal

This subroutine agrees.  Determine what we had missed, and prevent debates from taking up so much time in the future.  May miss something important due to not paying any attention.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 19, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »

Take the deal
Right. However, won't it be to large for our current gen shipyards. See how fast we can make a seperate shipyard for them to use.

Anyway, Aries. Carefull analysis of how much water is stuck in the icecaps, and how much water is needed to kick of the water cycle and start the next stage of the terraforming process.

Capture some planetoids that float by. We can use them later as giant ships, should someone decide to betray us,

Build and deploy the Hydrogen scoopers.

Investigate and calculate the parameters for this place's Planetary transport network. (Basically a collections of flight paths that take years but allow transport without energy useage).

Construct the Planetary Highway network. A series of giant massdrivers intended to launch civiliant ships for a small fare.

Do Aries and Gaia have moons?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 19, 2012, 02:30:20 pm »

Take the deal
Right. However, won't it be to large for our current gen shipyards. See how fast we can make a seperate shipyard for them to use.

What if they build it like the Star Wars empire builds it's Star Destroyers, in space?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 19, 2012, 02:38:35 pm »

Take the deal

What if they build it like the Star Wars empire builds it's Star Destroyers, in space?
All our ship construction is space based

Even then, they need infrastructure to get it build in time, welding installations, docking ports, live support for crew and some other take up space. Also protection from micrometeroids.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 19, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »

Maldevious, you never told us exactly how long this ship would be. I figured that our current infrastructure was woefully insufficient for a ship that size seeing as how we've been making nothing but frigates and such up until now.

While it may seem like building a Battleship is nothing but sunshine and rainbows for us, we must remember that the chances of such a move going unnoticed are zero to none. Someone, somewhere is going to feel very threatened by the fact that we're producing such a massive piece of hardware, probably enough to sabotage its construction in one form or another. I feel that our current approach of slowly building up our navy has been good so far, as it keeps tensions comfortably low and makes sure we aren't taking things too fast.

On the other hand, of course, having such a vessel would be a significant milestone for our civilization as a whole and grant us decent security. I just think we should be clear on the risks we're taking here.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 19, 2012, 07:34:38 pm »

The battleship class is 300 - 500 meters in length. Big, definitely, but not so large that it couldn't be assembled modularly using existing technology.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 19, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »

Ask for more data and revamp the blueprints to a mothership design as our current body is insuffiecient for rapid colonization.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 117