No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360091 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1395 on: July 23, 2012, 01:25:44 pm »

1) We do know, that Gaian settlements are de facto independent, and that there are no united Gaian government. We can be 100% sure that they don't want full integration. Yep, sure they'd like free protection, but it's not really in our interest

2) Asking Aries government is unnecessary. We are the government!
The majority of humans in the system occupy the numerous Arcologies on the planet, massive buildings that contain everything needed for survival. These settlements are under your direct control.

3) We get no have real benefits for controlling Gaia, because we have a whole system full of resources, better tech and majority of manpower

4) But nevertheless Gaia might be a nice trading partner\ally against aliens, so we are interested in it's economic growth and peace between colonies.

5) Also, we need to be sure that Gaia never will be serious military threat for us, and that means either moving the satellites away , or constantly guarding it with the Navy. We can't allow some colony to get control on it. Not only that colony will be able to harm us, they can bombard other colonies and will win all wars

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:37 am »

Several tasks are undertaken this month, as the AI moves to reassert its will on the system.

A message is sent to the Moonies, seeking a new discourse. While the message is not responded to in any meaningful way, they send a short burst of syntax that indicates they have received the message. So, a start has been made. In the past, most attempts were simply ignored.

There is a consensus that more information must be learned about the will of the people, so a massive internet system is hooked into the colonies. Most of the infrastructure was already in place, and the first tentative bits of information have been gleaned from it. The people on Aries are more or less content with the AI overseeing things, as the colony has grown substantially in just under a decade. However, there is a small minority that would be interested in further human control of the situation.

That is because, for the most part, those disaffected with AI leadership have moved to one of the city-states popping up on Gaia. These people are mostly concerned with their terrestrial game of power, and are not even close to unified enough to pose a threat to any other part of the system. However, the AI suspects that an external threat to their planet would unify them in short order, so more debate between subroutines is needed to clarify the AI's policy towards the settlement.

Defensive patrols are initiated in the inner system, with the majority of focus being on Aries. It is thought that overly provacotive actions towards Gaia may send the wrong message. There are several mishaps, as the crews of the ships have mostly been at running simulations during the last few years, but no major consequences occur as they shake off the rust.

Using spectral telescopes, another survey is conducted of the asteroids and Planet E. Unfortunately, at this time most of the asteroids being mined are simple heavy metal asteroids, and most significant ice and organic deposits have already been tapped for the farm ships above Aries. However, further surveys may reveal additional information.

Surveys of Planet E are more encouraging. Initial sweeps missed signficant geothermal heat underneath the cold surface of the planet. In fact, it appears as if there are scores of caverns crisscrossing the planet underneath the permafrost, most with temperatures well within the minimum acceptable range for human survival. While the gas mixture is unknown, this is certainly an encouraging development.

On Aries, the Mavens are tasked with working on some predictive genetic projects to attempt to head off future diseases. They begin work, but no results are forthcoming at this time. On another note, grasses tailored to the environment are introduced, but not much progress can be ascertained at this point in time.

Time lapsed in system: 7 years, 1 months

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »

* Dispatch drones to perform a general survey of the caverns on the ice world. Take readings on gas composition/deposits, fault lines, local flora and fauna, anything useful. Suggest that we name the planet Shiva.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 24, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »

I'd say we should leave the Gaians alone for now, as long as they can't acces the sattelites.

So anyway:

Spoiler: Plan v 0.1 (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 24, 2012, 03:42:56 pm »

Spoiler: Plan v 0.1 (click to show/hide)

I want that batteries to lose less energy on transportation from Hephestus to other places  and increase autonomy of our ships\satellites\drones
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:37 pm »

Don't we use laser and such to transmit energy?
Those are usually rather efficient and can be used to recharge drones midflight.

If we want to have long term High power non rechargeable batteries, we should go for nuclear ones. (Essentially pocket nuclear reactors.)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:04 am »

I support not getting involved in anything on Gaia right now, but we should at least do a little research into what their type of government looks like, what the differences are between the individual colonies etc.  That information will help us later.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:46 am »

I support not getting involved in anything on Gaia right now, but we should at least do a little research into what their type of government looks like, what the differences are between the individual colonies etc.  That information will help us later.
Agreed. that is all.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 27, 2012, 11:45:20 am »

Is it possible to use nanites to destroy radiation particles?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 27, 2012, 11:49:06 am »

Is it possible to use nanites to destroy radiation particles?
No.

We can use nanostructures to divert or absorb them or something, but you can't destroy radiation particles.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 27, 2012, 01:46:19 pm »

I think we should send a robotic probe to planet E. One that can burow into the cave network and seal up the pasage to the surface behind it so that no gass or heet escapes. It should have sensores for the gas mixture.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 27, 2012, 01:53:36 pm »

@kopout Agreed. It should be as easy as using an expanding sealant like the kind they use for sewer pipes.

@10ebbor10Hmm... well, that's something at least. I was just going to suggest specialized nanites / drones to combat possible radiation spills and such, since we do use nuclear fission power and all. But it's probably nothing to seriously worry about at this point especially since most of those nuclear plants are on Hephaestus which is an absolute dustball. I suggest this instead...

* Medical Sensor Glove.
http://www.orbitalvector.com/Diagnostic%20Tools/Medical%20Sensor%20Glove.htm

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 27, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »

I think we should reclass the Mavens for use as spies within the gaia populace. Info would be relayed to us and if there is a problem they could probably slip their way out of it, being super soldiers and all.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 27, 2012, 06:45:07 pm »

That was their original purpose atleast. I imagine we would get better at making them deadly (and not crazy) the longer we have them.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 29, 2012, 08:26:27 am »

Activity is brisk around the system during this month. On Planet E, tentatively named Shiva, a complete recon of the planet is undertaken, with scores of drones crawling the surface, and a few specialized models set to bore into the caverns and seal the entrances they made behind them. These scans are encouraging.

The planet itself remains incredibly cold, with whipping winds and subzero temperatures. The gas mix is encouraging, and could be nudged towards breathability with minor effort. Inside the caverns, the temperatures are more hospitable, averaging around 35 degrees Fahrenheit. No signs of any animals or plants, besisdes some basic algae and fungus. Tests show that these will not be particularly harmful to human beings.

On Hephaestus, several projects are undertaken. Numerous solar lenses are forged in the many space dry docks, and they come off brilliantly. They are now available for use as the AI deems fit. Battery research takes a back seat to these projects, as the parameters of the project are decidedly less inspiring than the other project taking place.

Deep sea probes are released on Aquarius, and are moderately successful. The probes sweep from the shallow flats around the floating university into the deep trenches that permeate the surface of the sea floor. Most are eaten within a few days or crushed and maimed by some great beast that is very rarely detected. The bait dummies are also eaten, but the sheer strength of the creatures that eat them, both in bite and digestive tracts, apparently is much to much for them. However, some basic knowledge is received: the massive beasts stay in trenches, but swim to teh shallow flats to feed at least once a week.

Stock is taken of the project on Aries, and the results are less than encouraging. The process of creating an organic, lively soil have been somewhat neglected, and the lack of complexity and nutrients is stunting some of the plants clinging to life in the unforgiving environment. Efforts may need to be made if this process will be sped up.

One such effort, the search for oil to break down into valuable chemicals, goes swimmingly. An exceedingly large deposit is found, and drilling operations are set up without issue. Chemical converter plants are even up and running by the end of the month. The organic compounds should be valuable for fertilizing a large-scale soil introduction and revitalization program, if one is desired.

Gaia is mostly left alone, although it is under constant monitoring. A great deal is gleaned about the nature of the governments forming on Gaia. Simply put, almost every form of representation under the sun is present. There are a great deal of social democracies, similar to European governments. A number of societies are more libertarian in nature, with a mostly hands off legislature. A few tyrannies and monarchies have sprung up, as well, and a few legitimately communist societies as well. There is even a budding theocracy.

Needless to say, the potential for conflict is deliciously present: at any time, there is usually at least one open war, as well as a few simmering border disputes that flash from hot to cold. While they lack the technology of Aries, they certainly manage to find ways to kill each other in sometimes staggering numbers.

Time lapsed in system: 7 years, 2 months

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 117