No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360136 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1320 on: May 10, 2012, 08:22:43 am »

With a few more months of peace, the rebuilding begins. A new weapon testing facility is proposed, using autonomous systems and explosion proof material, but the Grand Parliament vetoes this suggestion. "While we appreciate your desire for continued military R&D, we feel it is a waste of resources at this time. Perhaps we can continue to do this at a later date."

They do approve of several new robot designs: small, flying firefighter drones, submarine-like explorers for Aquarius, extra-durable aquatic sensor pods without engines, repair drones utilizing self-repairing carbon, and new exploration bots that can explore planets B and E. These designs are cranked out quickly, and with minimal issues. The first units should be available for use next month.

A weak shield is built on the Aquarius settlement, the former Avian Contact center. A few combat drones are also transferred to the flotilla, as well. A design is put in for an airship, capable of hosting 50 colonists on a permanent basis, to be a mobile Avian Contact Center. The airship sails through the design and construction process, and is up and flying by the end of the second month. The Avians seem to take much more of a shining to this ship, and quickly begin to communicate via the sign language with the inhabitants.

As the shipyard is expanded to handle hulls up to 175 feet, a new kind of military ship is designed, the Slinger. Based on the fighters, the ship is basically a set of several engines, no weapons, basic armor, no shield. It can be used in for towing, as an engine booster for larger ships, to move asteroids, and launch projectiles from external mounts. The design is now available for production.

Attention turns back to the terraforming of Aries. Earthworms, spiders, and grasshoppers are released on a trial basis, and given the several years of adaptive changes the insect cloning center has been introducing, they take to the atmosphere wonderfully. Similarly, small drones are sent to drop cyanobacteria all over the surface, to increase the rate of atmospheric transformation.

A zone is designated on Aries for biological waste stockpiling. Dead plants are sterilized on Gaia, then shipped to the zone. It is almost like an industrial scale compost pile. It will serve as a good source for rich soil. On a similar note, farm ships are designed. These ships can be scaled as large as the shipyard can build them. They are mobile, transparent, space based hydroponic farms. The goal is to eventually have a full food production industry in space. The design is so straight forward that a few of the ships even reach space this month.

Construction continues on Gaia, with a cloning center and a small factory opening for both settlements. The colonists are thankful, but also weary, because they fear the AI becoming too involved with their business.

With all the activity going on, no further projects get completed this month. Nothing is heard from the Moonies. Just status quo.

Time lapsed in system: 3 years, 10 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Deep Space Navy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:35:34 am by Maldevious »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 10, 2012, 08:30:15 am »

Dear god, I love this game.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 10, 2012, 09:35:52 am »

Hmmm, my suggestions:

1) Grant independence to Gaian colonies. This means let them elect their own, totally independent government and don't do anything there unless asked. We don't need an empire, different planets should be different nations. Also, gift 1 frigate, 4 fighters, 20% of freighters, Gaian orbital defense and all planetary infrastructure to that new state
2) Build 10 slingers, they are useful in civilian jobs and good in anti-asteroid warfare
3) Build more farm ships
4) Equip every frigate with repair drones
5) Start an extensive exploration of planet B, Planet E and Aquarius
6) Transfer Mavens to Valiant" Mobile Avian Contact Dirigible, i prefer to have them far from main colony
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 10, 2012, 10:17:03 am »

Hmmm, my suggestions:

1) Grant independence to Gaian colonies. This means let them elect their own, totally independent government and don't do anything there unless asked. We don't need an empire, different planets should be different nations. Also, gift 1 frigate, 4 fighters, 20% of freighters, Gaian orbital defense and all planetary infrastructure to that new state. No, we don't need an interplanetary war. Humans tend to be good with these. L'unité fait la force.. I do however propose the construction of a Grand Parliament on Gaia, and another parliament in space. All count as advisory installations. They can control their planet(Not the weapon systems though, space is ours) , but have no power over us.
2) Build 10 slingers, they are useful in civilian jobs and good in anti-asteroid warfareAgreed. They can also move the farmships around, which I presume have little to no engines
3) Build more farm ships
5) Start an extensive exploration of planet B, Planet E and Aquarius. Of course
6) Transfer Mavens to Valiant" Mobile Avian Contact Dirigible, i prefer to have them far from main colony That'd be better. Don't want them to go crazy and kill everyone.

Others. When did the Grand parliament get vetorights. Repair the old weapons testing system anyway. Even if they did have vetorights, their jurisdiction would be Aries Aries and Aries alone...

7. Rebuild the weapons centre, using repair drones to salvage as much of the old station as possible.

8. Grand parliament on Gaia. Space station for Space parliament. Proposed location: Gaian orbit. Large, fusion reactor and shields. Minimal weapons systems. 3 sections for now: Us/Gaia/Aries

9. Research:- Plasma weaponry based on fusion technology.
                  - Laser Gravity scans. (By bouncing lasers between our own planets and looking at the tiniest disturbances, we can detect the gravitonic influences of the moonies.

Quote from:  Old to do list
1) Leave the moonies alone, stop any communications. Let's look how isolationist they really are. Keep listening however.

2) Rebuild the weapon testing facility: Ideally using autonomous systems and a certain explosion proofness.

5)  If succesfull build a military version of these on Aries (Call it the Valiant)

6) Build minor orbital defenses around Planet B, and let's name it Infrenium. Focus on stealth rather then firepower

9) Create areas on Arias for biological waste stockpiling. Transport dead plants from Gaia (freighters return empty from it, anyway). Make sure plants dead and sterilized enough before dumping. 

10) Release several hundreds grasshoppers and dozens of spiders in some remote place (ideally some kind of island) and look how it will develop

11) Expand the shipyard

14) Drill some ice on Gaia and Aries and Aquarius and try to learn about geological changes, especialy atmoshpere changes. Study natural canyons, too

15)Aries survey. Use robots and the climatological sattelites. I want to know what the current situation is like.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:37 am »

Why I want to give Gaia independence

1) We are terraforming AI, Gaia doesn't need terraforming, so it's not our concern. Humans here can survive without our aid
2) They'll want independence sooner or later, better give them it sooner, before we invested to much
3) It's really fun to have one more side to trade\negotiate\wage wars with. Don't be a munchkin choosing optimal, max AI power path. Choose fun ones
4) Less micromanagement, we may concentrate on fewer colonies
5) This way we'll increase our administrative efficiency, all this different parliaments will only create huge mess
6) I doubt that our goal is to babysit humanity forever

Also, I am strongly against rebuilding the weapon platform, In my view we serve humans, not rule them. Also, no to large scale weapon research, parliament said no, and we need to respect that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:34:42 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:11 am »

Why I want to give Gaia independence

1) We are terraforming AI, Gaia doesn't need terraforming, so it's not our concern. Humans here can survive without our aid
2) They'll want independence sooner or later, better give them it sooner, before we invested to much
3) It's really fun to have one more side to trade\negotiate\wage wars with. Don't be a munchkin choosing optimal, max AI power path.
4) Less micromanagement, we may concentrate on fewer colonies
5) This way we'll increase our administrative efficiency, all this different parliaments will only create huge mess
6) I doubt that our goal is to babysit humanity forever

Also, I am strongly against rebuilding the weapon platform, In my view we serve humans, not rule them. Also, no to large scale weapon research, parliament said no, and we need to respect that.
1. We're not a terraforming AI. Our task is to ensure human survival. (Don't forget the bots and all the other things that are strange about Gaia. I'm sure everything will go to hell within a few turns after we leave.
2. Limited independence is good. United we stand strong, however.
3. With a grand parliament we'd have 4 sides (us, Aries, Gaia, moonies) while otherwise there are only 3.
4. We have turns sometimes where we have little to no suggestions.
5. And you just said you liked negotiating with other people.
6. Unfortunatel, it is.

Once more, The Parliament is acting outside of it's Jurisdiction. We don't need to listen. Besides I'm against wasting thingies. But all right, we don't want to anger them. Transform the Weapon testing facility into an experimental testing lab, intended to test everything and not only weaponry.

Research:- Modular ship building
              - Laser reconaissance

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 10, 2012, 11:49:11 am »

1) Humans will survive even if Gaia blow up, Aries stays our main colony, and it will benefit if AI concentrate on it
2) True, but united we have higher chances for rebellion, corruption and other problems
3) You forgot Avians.)
4) Maybe, but now we have 10+ actions lists, IMO it's too much
5) It's not about negotiating, it's about efficiency. Bureaucracy isn't something good
6) Disagree) When we'll estabilish full grown countries here, we'll take other several thousands colonist and go elsewhere to create new colonies

As for research, I propose to research industrial scale chemistry, with two goals a) releasing oxygen from oxides to the atmosphere of Aries b) getting raw materials in process

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 10, 2012, 04:24:14 pm »

i vote you try researching modular ship design again and miniaturizing fusion.

modular ships will allow the creation of space farms larger than 175 feet due to the fact you can connect them together once they are in space.

miniaturized fusion will allow for the research and use of newer and more powerful technologies.

Edit: oh and continue work on that self repairing carbon
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:26:12 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 11, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »

Agreed, I have a list of suggestions including aformentioned ones.

- Miniturize fusion
- Modular ships (borg cubes?)
- Large scale self-repairing carbon

- Increase industry (mining, housing, farming->aqaurius) and cloning rate to fill the jobs.
- Are the humans happy? Do they have awesome homes? Are they satisfied with life? (Run a survey)
- Lets also increase resources allocated to education.
- Start a program that promotes human intelligence.
- Construct a space tether on aqaurius, it can be anchored to a large floating hydroponic farm.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:00:06 pm by Immortal »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 12, 2012, 04:26:25 pm »

Posting tomorrow evening. Feel free to refine suggestions until then.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 13, 2012, 01:29:02 am »

Hmmm, my suggestions:

1) Grant independence to Gaian colonies. This means let them elect their own, totally independent government and don't do anything there unless asked. We don't need an empire, different planets should be different nations. Also, gift 1 frigate, 4 fighters, 20% of freighters, Gaian orbital defense and all planetary infrastructure to that new state. No, we don't need an interplanetary war. Humans tend to be good with these. L'unité fait la force.. I do however propose the construction of a Grand Parliament on Gaia, and another parliament in space. All count as advisory installations. They can control their planet(Not the weapon systems though, space is ours) , but have no power over us.We need to get a dessicion about this one.
2) Build 10 slingers, they are useful in civilian jobs and good in anti-asteroid warfare
3) Build more farm ships
5) Start an extensive exploration of planet B, Planet E and Aquarius. Of course
6) Transfer Mavens to Valiant" Mobile Avian Contact Dirigible, i prefer to have them far from main colony

Others. When did the Grand parliament get vetorights?

7.Salvage the weapon testing center. Turn it into a general testing ground.

8. Grand parliament on Gaia. Space station for Space parliament. Proposed location: Gaian orbit. Large, fusion reactor and shields. Minimal weapons systems. 3 sections for now: Us/Gaia/AriesNeed a desicion about this one.

9. Research:
                  - Laser Gravity scans. (By bouncing lasers between our own planets and looking at the tiniest disturbances, we can detect the gravitonic influences of the moonies.
                 - Modular ships (More in the sense of how The ISS is constructed now. Multiple parts connected together to get a larger ship)
                 - Miniturize fusion
                 - Large scale self-repairing carbon

Quote from:  Old to do list
1) Leave the moonies alone, stop any communications. Let's look how isolationist they really are. Keep listening however.

5)  If succesfull build a military version of these on Aries (Call it the Valiant)

9) Create areas on Arias for biological waste stockpiling. Transport dead plants from Gaia (freighters return empty from it, anyway). Make sure plants dead and sterilized enough before dumping.Continuation 

10) Release several hundreds grasshoppers and dozens of spiders in some remote place (ideally some kind of island) and look how it will develop.Continuation

11) Expand the shipyard

14) Drill some ice on Gaia and Aries and Aquarius and try to learn about geological changes, especialy atmoshpere changes. Study natural canyons, too

15)Aries survey. Use robots and the climatological sattelites. I want to know what the current situation is like.

- Increase industry (mining, housing, farming->aqaurius) and cloning rate to fill the jobs.I think the industry and such pretty much regulates itself.
- Are the humans happy? Do they have awesome homes? Are they satisfied with life? (Run a survey)
- Lets also increase resources allocated to education.Yup, build an university+Other shools.( Aries,Gaia, Somewherein orbit ??)
- Start a program that promotes human intelligence.University will do the same, I think
- Construct a space tether on aqaurius, it can be anchored to a large floating hydroponic farmProblem is, you need to anchor it to the ground though, of which there is no on Aquiruis. Also the frequent heavy weather will damage it, resulting to a giant chain crashing into the ground, so no.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 13, 2012, 03:51:45 am »

I propose to delay any decision on changing political system,  run some polls, then decide

All in order of preference

Building
1) Salvage the weapon testing center. Turn it into a general testing ground.
2) Build University on Aries
3) Expand shipyard to allow 200ft ships

Shipyard
1) Build 10 slingers
2) Build max size farm ships
3) Equip every frigate with repair drones
4) Build containers, designed to be towed by slingers

Terraforming
1) Create more compost piles. If new farm ship overproduce food, use it for this task, too 
2) Release more insects to Aries: wasps and ants

Misc
1) Transfer Mavens to "Valiant" Mobile Avian Contact Dirigible
2) Start an extensive exploration of planet B, Planet E and Aquarius
3) Run polls, find what people happy and unhappy about, and what political system they would like.
4) Drill some ice on Gaia and Aries and Aquarius and try to learn about geological changes, especially atmosphere changes. Study natural canyons, too
5)Aries survey. Use robots and the climatological satellites. We want to know what the current situation is like.

Avian contact center
1)Offer Mavens to create writing system based on the sign language. (That will keep them busy, and may be very useful in advancing Avians )

Research
1) Modular ships (Surely useful)
--- I propose start small, research 10 ft long modules, Called size A module
2) Chemistry: New alloys and removing oxygen from metal oxides (I'll try to propose it again, because it's useful)
3) Miniaturize fusion (Yes, yes, yes)
4)Laser Gravity scans. (By bouncing lasers between our own planets and looking at the tiniest disturbances, we can detect the gravitonic influences of the moonies.
5) Do not research large scale carbon thing (we have the repair drones, for fleet, IMO it's enough for now and this technology may be dangerous

Designs
1) Military airship, based on Valiant + shields, + combat drones + repair drones + mass drivers
2) Defense turret: 10 ft diameter immobile droid with targeting computer, nicely shielded and armored with mass driver. A size Ship module. But may be used on land.
3) New  ship: Destroyer, 200 ft long, 
--Armament: one powerful laser, several point defense lasers.
--Defense: shields, absorptive stealth coating, armor using steel\advanced alloys (if we get lucky with chemistry),  repair droids
--Engines: Rudimentary.
--Misc: designed in a way to allow easy attaching and detaching of 5 slingers
--Sockets for additional modules: 4 * A size module

Do not build prototypes, yet.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 13, 2012, 03:56:22 am »

^^this^^
but incorporate automated systems into testing facility to minimize civilian casualties on failed rolls
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 13, 2012, 04:08:08 am »

^^this^^
but incorporate automated systems into testing facility to minimize civilian casualties on failed rolls
Or, if possible, just make it fully automated.
For the chemistry, We have nanotechnology, this should be trivial(and usefull).

Other Ideas: We have a giant ocean on Aquirius. Maybe we could build an Aquatic shipyard. (Safer, cheaper, but higher per ship production cost(need to lift them into the atmosphere). Let's wait on the exploration before we do that though.

We can also try to build another giant space telescope, always good to have spares.

Other modular designs could be:
-Point defense: Laser turret (Intended to shoot down incoming missiles)
-Escape pod (Duh)
-Power transmitter: (Using that Laser energy transmission(Does Aerotransimissio work in space) to power other ships.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 13, 2012, 07:08:38 am »

I have many-many ideas for modules, but I'd rather wait until we have the technology

The question is which approach is better - totally module based ships, or motherboard like ( basic hull + expansion sockets like the proposed destroyer)
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 117