No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360162 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1305 on: May 09, 2012, 09:50:37 am »

new plan...
FUSION BOMBS!!!

basically you just launch it at the target and when it gets in range it floods the fusion chamber with matter causing 150 million degrees of thermal energy transfer and... well you can guess the rest...

Edit: Don't you dare test them anywhere near the planets... hell don't even put the fuel in if its near a planet...
You forgot the conservation of energy there. Again Thermal energy =/= temperature. What you're saying is that throwing an ocean of icecold water on a small fire would create an explosion of steam. The amount of (thermal)energy in the fusion plant will remain constant. Only know you're adding mass to the plant, resulting in the dispersion of the temperature and a slight increase of the temperature of the mass you're adding as heat gets transferred from the plasma to the new mass. No giant explosion, since you can't create energy out of nowhere.

What you can try to do is get a canister of fusion fuel, cover it in conventional/nuclear explosives; The explosives blow up, compressing and heating the fuel, resulting in a very short fusion reaction.
But we already have those (IRL), they are often called thermonuclear warheads.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:55:05 am by 10ebbor10 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 09, 2012, 10:01:51 am »

okay flood was a poor choice of words when what i was envisioning was actually using the matter as a lance to connect the fusion reaction to a portion of the outer shielding allowing for heat dissipation to the external atmosphere,
the idea was that all that heat dissipating through such a small area would(hopefully) ignite the atmosphere around it.

in reflection my idea of fusion bombs would probably have turned out to something similar to a spear thus becoming more of a flaming arrow than an actual bomb.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 09, 2012, 10:48:03 am »

okay flood was a poor choice of words when what i was envisioning was actually using the matter as a lance to connect the fusion reaction to a portion of the outer shielding allowing for heat dissipation to the external atmosphere,
the idea was that all that heat dissipating through such a small area would(hopefully) ignite the atmosphere around it.

in reflection my idea of fusion bombs would probably have turned out to something similar to a spear thus becoming more of a flaming arrow than an actual bomb.
So a fusion powered flamethrower. Could work. Still, won't actually burn the atmosphere. (Will melt though heavy armor though. I think something similair is used in certain welders.(Using electricity to create plasma rather then a fusion reactor).

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:39 am »

wait so now im trying to invent a plasma thrower?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 09, 2012, 11:08:03 am »

wait so now im trying to invent a plasma thrower?
I have no idea anymore. (Still, throwing plasma around would be awesome. If you can get a small magnetic field generator (Which we have) it can even work in space.)

I think we should end this brief explanation on the workings of nuclear fusion now, though, and get back to the game.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:25 am »

agreed

>research fusion
  >develop magnetically contained plasma launchers

>develop theoretical fail safe devices

>fix weapons testing facility
  >add remote control functionality
  >increase shielding?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:06 am »

Our luck is... Looks like The mighty RNG doesn't want to let us create an army. [/color]
Anyway, I propose: (in an order of importance)

1) Leave the moonies alone, stop any communications. Let's look how isolationist they really areKeep listening however, don't want to miss anything

2) Rebuild the weapon testing facilityMake sure to make one that is explosion proof. Btw, It seems the missiles are finished. If the can blow up a station, they can blow up an asteroid too.

3) Research the self repairing thingMake sure to do it on a orbital lab. Don't want nanobots plagues. Though I do like modular ship building more.

4) Build a shield for The Avian Contact center, just in case. It will help against predators\disasters\attacks. Also, transfer some combat drones here.

5) Build an airship, capable of hosting 50 colonists on a permanent basis, for the second mobile Avian contact center. Mobile center can communicate with all Avians, not small portion of them.I propose a Zepelin like ship. We don't want to have Avians being sucked up in the engine. Include escape pods. Call it the Valiant. If the design is succesfull build an adapted version on Gaia and Aries.(Aircraft carrier)

6) Build minor orbital defenses around Planet B, and let's name it InfreniumOur current base is hard to detect. (Should be) As long as nobody knows we are there. They can't shoot us. Then again we did blow up a station there.

7) Design a new kind of military ship - slinger. Based on the fighters. All ship is basically a set of several engines, power, speed and agility is all it need, no weapons, basic armor, no shield. It can be used in 4 roles: a)tow damaged ships\containers; b) Attachable engine boosters for big ships; c) to move asteroid away; d) they may be used to launch projective (any, from tiny rocks to mines to torpedos to epically big spears to asteroids) just move close to the target, detach projective, turn around and let inertia to do the job. Note that they useful both in civilian and military roles. Build a prototypeI'd call it a tug No, if it will have military grade targeting system, high manuevrability and mounts for bombs\torpedos\spears

8) Let's return to terraforming Aries, I propose to introduce some stored earthworms into the soil. Choose the smallest ones and the most adapted to cold conditions. Also, if we haven't done it, drop cyanobacteria all over the place. These are autotrophe organisms and can survive in harsh conditions. Maybe we can also fire one of our massdrivers shells at the volcanic system to reactivate it. This will increase airpressure and temperature. (CoČ) Ash is also a good fertilizer. I

9) Use our transport fleet to get rid from the algae infestation, mechanically gather the algae, transport it to Aries, dump it in one place on dry land, and then let it rot, providing food to the earthworms. In fact we may gather even native  organic materials from Gaia and Aquarius, kill,  sterilize it properly and let it rot on Aries, but getting rid of the algae is preferable. Let's create one  area with rich soil, then we may think about grass. Algae are used in several industries at the moment.

New 9) Create areas on Arias for biological waste stockpiling. Transport dead plants from Gaia (freighters return empty from it, anyway). Make sure plants dead and sterilized enough before dumping. 

10) Design and build farm ships, basically big, mobile, transparent, space based hydroponic farms. We should move majority of our food production in space, in that way farming will never mess with ecology and, more importantly, ecology will not mess with the farms. Also wastes from farming may be used for dumping on AriesGood idea. Though I think our shipyards are to small to do this.I think 150ft ships are large enough for small farms, Yes we can't switch our food production to space in one moment, it's more a long term project and emergency food source

11)Build two cloning centers for the settlements on GaiaGood

12) Build small scientific outposts all over Aries to monitor ecology more closely (like 20 with 10-50 scientist each)Give them all emergency evacuation pods. Capable of one flight to space to allow them to be picked up by our ships.

13) Extensively explore Planet E, maybe we miss something interestingGood. Bots only though.

Yeah, other things to add:

-Expand the shipyard again.
-Maybe build a back-up aquatic shipyard on aquirius.
-Construct another nanofactory for gaia.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 09, 2012, 11:37:51 am »

This looks good enough, though I still think we could use flying drones with fire extinguisher and quarantine drones with sanitizing foam.  One thing we haven't covered yet is the Mavens; I'm not sure if I like this idea that they become obsessed with finding medical knowledge to the point of neglecting their physical needs, but it doesn't look like there's anything we can do about it for now.  It's starting to remind me of the Hands of Asclepius (Greek god of medicine, the organization is from Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 on DS).  I hope we can find a way to preserve their personality from before they became Mavens, or all these developments with 'personality bleeding' and now obsession will render all of our careful selection based on psychology useless.  I have a feeling this is going to require extensive research, though, and I do believe it can wait for now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 09, 2012, 11:42:24 am »

This looks good enough, though I still think we could use flying drones with fire extinguisher and quarantine drones with sanitizing foam.  One thing we haven't covered yet is the Mavens; I'm not sure if I like this idea that they become obsessed with finding medical knowledge to the point of neglecting their physical needs, but it doesn't look like there's anything we can do about it for now.  It's starting to remind me of the Hands of Asclepius (Greek god of medicine, the organization is from Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 on DS).  I hope we can find a way to preserve their personality from before they became Mavens, or all these developments with 'personality bleeding' and now obsession will render all of our careful selection based on psychology useless.  I have a feeling this is going to require extensive research, though, and I do believe it can wait for now.
Well, we have modular drone tech, so that should be a piece of cake.

Can we backup minds, if we can we should do that.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 09, 2012, 12:04:49 pm »

New list: (in an order of importance)

1) Leave the moonies alone, stop any communications. Let's look how isolationist they really areKeep listening however, don't want to miss anything

2) Rebuild the weapon testing facilityMake sure to make one that is explosion proof. Btw, It seems the missiles are finished. If the can blow up a station, they can blow up an asteroid too.

3)  Design new bots: a) Flying firefighters, b) Submarine like explorers for Aquarius c) Ship repairers (may use that self repairing carbon to repair themselves) d) sturdy exploration bots that can explore planets B and E

4) Build a shield for The Avian Contact center, just in case. It will help against predators\disasters\attacks. Also, transfer some combat drones here.

5) Build an airship, capable of hosting 50 colonists on a permanent basis, for the second mobile Avian contact center. Mobile center can communicate with all Avians, not small portion of them.I propose a Zepelin like ship. We don't want to have Avians being sucked up in the engine. Include escape pods. Call it the Valiant. If the design is succesfull build an adapted version on Gaia and Aries.(Aircraft carrier)

6) Build minor orbital defenses around Planet B, and let's name it InfreniumOur current base is hard to detect. (Should be) As long as nobody knows we are there. They can't shoot us. Then again we did blow up a station there.

7) Design a new kind of military ship - slinger. Based on the fighters. All ship is basically a set of several engines, power, speed and agility is all it need, no weapons, basic armor, no shield. It can be used in 4 roles: a)tow damaged ships\containers; b) Attachable engine boosters for big ships; c) to move asteroid away; d) they may be used to launch projective (any, from tiny rocks to mines to torpedos to epically big spears to asteroids) just move close to the target, detach projective, turn around and let inertia to do the job. Note that they useful both in civilian and military roles. Build a prototypeI'd call it a tug No, if it will have military grade targeting system, high manuevrability and mounts for bombs\torpedos\spears

8) Let's return to terraforming Aries, I propose to introduce some stored earthworms into the soil. Choose the smallest ones and the most adapted to cold conditions. Also, if we haven't done it, drop cyanobacteria all over the place. These are autotrophe organisms and can survive in harsh conditions. Maybe we can also fire one of our massdrivers shells at the volcanic system to reactivate it. This will increase airpressure and temperature. (CoČ) Ash is also a good fertilizer.

9) Create areas on Arias for biological waste stockpiling. Transport dead plants from Gaia (freighters return empty from it, anyway). Make sure plants dead and sterilized enough before dumping. 

10) Release several hundreds grasshoppers and dozens of spiders in some remote place (ideally some kind of island) and look how it will develop

11) Expand the shipyard

12) Design and build farm ships, basically big, mobile, transparent, space based hydroponic farms. We should move majority of our food production in space, in that way farming will never mess with ecology and, more importantly, ecology will not mess with the farms. Also wastes from farming may be used for dumping on AriesGood idea. Though I think our shipyards are to small to do this.I think 150ft ships are large enough for small farms, Yes we can't switch our food production to space in one moment, it's more a long term project and emergency food source

13)Build two cloning centers and two small factories for the settlements on Gaia

14) Drill some ice on Gaia and try to learn about geological changes, especialy atmoshpere changes. Study natural canyons, too

Changes: added shipyard expansion, new bots design, ice studiyng, releasing grasshopers\spiders,  geologiacal research for Gaia, factories for Gaia
 removed : outposts on aries, exporation of planet E, research of self repairing carbon

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:06:29 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:37 pm »

New list: (in an order of importance)

1) Leave the moonies alone, stop any communications. Let's look how isolationist they really are. Keep listening however.

2) Rebuild the weapon testing facility: Ideally using autonomous systems and a certain explosion proofness.

3)  Design new bots: a) Flying firefighters, b) Submarine like explorers for Aquarius(2 flavours: Basic submarines and Extra durable sensor pods without engines(Intended to be swallowed and carried around by the local wildlife) c) Ship repairers (may use that self repairing carbon to repair themselves) d) sturdy exploration bots that can explore planets B and E

5) Build an airship, capable of hosting 50 colonists on a permanent basis, for the second mobile Avian contact center. Mobile center can communicate with all Avians, not small portion of them. Zeppelin like. If succesfull build a military version of these on Aries and Gaia (Call it the Valiant)

6) Build minor orbital defenses around Planet B, and let's name it Infrenium. Focus on stealth rather then firepower

7) Design a new kind of military ship - slinger. Based on the fighters. All ship is basically a set of several engines, power, speed and agility is all it need, no weapons, basic armor, no shield. It can be used in 4 roles: a)tow damaged ships\containers; b) Attachable engine boosters for big ships; c) to move asteroid away; d) they may be used to launch projective (any, from tiny rocks to mines to torpedos to epically big spears to asteroids) just move close to the target, detach projective, turn around and let inertia to do the job. Note that they useful both in civilian and military roles. Build a prototype. It will have military grade targeting system, high manuevrability and mounts for bombs\torpedos\spears

8) Let's return to terraforming Aries, I propose to introduce some stored earthworms into the soil. Choose the smallest ones and the most adapted to cold conditions. Also, if we haven't done it, drop cyanobacteria all over the place. These are autotrophe organisms and can survive in harsh conditions. 

9) Create areas on Arias for biological waste stockpiling. Transport dead plants from Gaia (freighters return empty from it, anyway). Make sure plants dead and sterilized enough before dumping. 

10) Release several hundreds grasshoppers and dozens of spiders in some remote place (ideally some kind of island) and look how it will develop

11) Expand the shipyard

12) Design and build farm ships, basically big, mobile, transparent, space based hydroponic farms. We should move majority of our food production in space, in that way farming will never mess with ecology and, more importantly, ecology will not mess with the farms. Also wastes from farming may be used for dumping on Aries. Farming ships need no engines, but do need to have escape pods.

13)Build two cloning centers and two small factories for the settlements on Gaia

14) Drill some ice on Gaia and try to learn about geological changes, especialy atmoshpere changes. Study natural canyons, too

15)Aries survey. Use robots and the climatological sattelites. I want to know what the current situation is like.
Reworded suggestions. Removed the Red.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:01:23 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 09, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »

You seem to have left off the geological survey of Aries.  It was also suggested that we try to do one of Aquarius as well.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:37 pm »

You seem to have left off the geological survey of Aries.  It was also suggested that we try to do one of Aquarius as well.
We're designing the drones for the Aquirius survey this turn. I'll add the Aries one.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 09, 2012, 01:11:59 pm »

I believe the thinktank is concluded, your move Mr.Game Master.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 09, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »

Life got crazy today. Post coming when I can manage it, hopefully tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 117