No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360189 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1275 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:33 am »

Maybe you switch to 2d6\2?
While it's fun to get criticals, every third roll as critical becomes boring, especially with so many rolls each turn.

Another suggestion to roll d6 again after 1 or 6 to determine how bad\good the critical really is. So 1-1 will be huge disasters, 1-6 is only slightly worse then regular failure. Same thing for 6. 

That's asuming that you use 1d6 for each action.

I also didn't get any reactions to my plan to create vulcanism on Aries.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 08, 2012, 11:20:09 am »

We don't know how that planet works, who knows, maybe we'll hit some wire that force planet to explode? I support geological studies, but without drilling, find canyons and look, much safer option

As for volcanism, I prefer a stable planet, eruptions and Ariesquakes aren't something people need
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 08, 2012, 11:24:05 am »

We don't know how that planet works, who knows, maybe we'll hit some wire that force planet to explode? I support geological studies, but without drilling, find canyons and look, much safer option

As for volcanism, I prefer a stable planet, eruptions and Ariesquakes aren't something people need
A completly artificial planet is quite unlikely. By that same logic you could say that there are aliens waiting inside until enough humans have landed and they can kill them all. Anyway, canyons might help, but erosion will have damaged these traces. What about ice cores, that allows us information about the atmosphere, and deep ice is mostly clear.

Problem with a planet where the volcanic system has been stopped is that pressure tends to build up, eventually culiminating in the geological death of the planet (Ie nothing happening anymore) or a serious cascade of devastating earthquakes.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 08, 2012, 11:34:55 am »

Yep we should study ice, it's good way to learn about atmoshpere changes

I see you reasoning regarding volcanoes, but let's wait until our other colonies grow, we don't want to lose 85% of our population if things go wrong
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:46 pm »

Problem with a planet where the volcanic system has been stopped is that pressure tends to build up, eventually culiminating in the geological death of the planet (Ie nothing happening anymore) or a serious cascade of devastating earthquakes.
As far as I know nothing too traumatic seems to have happened on Earth's moon when it "died" geologically.  The main issue to a colony when a planet cools is that eventually the iron core stops spinning, which means no more magnetic field.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 08, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »

As far as I know nothing too traumatic seems to have happened on Earth's moon when it "died" geologically.  The main issue to a colony when a planet cools is that eventually the iron core stops spinning, which means no more magnetic field.
That is because the Moon has almost entirely solidified ( 40% of it's core). The fact that we have found a Semiactive volcanic field on Aries indicates that this is not the fact here. In fqct it means that continental drift might still exist, and that most of the planet is still liquid. However the fact that there are no volcanos means that the thing is solidifying. However, in the event that it or a part of it suddenly shoots loose, it will create quite strong earthquakes.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 08, 2012, 03:53:22 pm »

we have found a Semiactive volcanic field on Aries.  it means that continental drift might still exist, and that most of the planet is still liquid. However the fact that there are no volcanos means that the thing is solidifying. However, in the event that it or a part of it suddenly shoots loose, it will create quite strong earthquakes.
I'm confused.  If the mantle is solidifying, what exactly are we worried about "suddenly shooting loose?"  Tectonics (if they're still running) should slowly (as in, over the next few hundred million years or so) grind to a halt.

We should probably do a thorough geologic survey of Aries and Gaia.  See whats going on in the crust and what lies beneath.  Especially look for any problems that could hit us in the near future.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 08, 2012, 05:39:19 pm »

Just reread all updates, why do we not release our insects into biosphere? Grasshopers + spiders + wasps may create pretty stable ecosystem

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 08, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »

Construct new weapons testing facility manned by remote controlled drones controllable by the AI core or scientists via satellite up-link.

build small self replicating spy satellites with detachable comm modules capable of sending messages back undetected.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 09, 2012, 01:54:47 am »

I am strongly against spy satellites, any such thing is playing with fire if we use them, and useless if we don't

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 09, 2012, 04:14:56 am »

A) i didn't say you had to launch them :P and B) you could easily re-purpose them later so they aren't entirely useless if you decide not to spy on the moonies
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:14 am »

They need time and resources to design and we are busy improving all our colonies

Besides I doubt that we will ready for any offensive war less then in a few years. In defensive war spy drones are much less useful. And why they should be self replicating?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:39 am »

in case they get found and destroyed again, if they self replicate you can have backup satellites hiding in all those asteroids they are floating around and you'll basically get an early warning system if they decide to throw more.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 09, 2012, 05:28:06 am »

If they get found, they will be found and destroyed again, and again, and again. Maybe it's better to make them stealthier instead? And do you know how avalanched the project is? We only starting to make self repairing hulls, while you are talking about self rebuilding complex electronics

And I dislike complex replication... why? See Stargate.

And if moonies decide to throw more asteroids ... It's not hard to spot this things with our telescope, no need for spy satellites

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 09, 2012, 05:45:05 am »

I could have sworn i read you already had self replicating drones :/
also the replicators were awesome and i vote you design some for use as a panic button if the moonies decide to invade.

also i watched a documentary recently that stated we could produce enough energy to satisfy all of earths energy needs from a single solar power complex that covers 0.1% of the surface area of our planet. might be worth looking into especially seeing as you have a tendency to build giant ass laser complexes in orbit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:58:40 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 117