No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360210 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1230 on: May 01, 2012, 07:41:48 pm »

I've heard of Mesons... the only time I actually saw them used as weapons was in the game Sword of the Stars and they were high-tier anti-shield weapons (Passed right through pretty much any kind of shield).  How would Mesons work against asteroids, exactly?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meson

And thanks Mal, we love your game, glad you appreciate us too though I really had no doubts lol  :D

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:07 pm »

We have to figure out what these Moonies are up to. 

> Get a few stealth probes into their space and record any and all communication they detect.  Pick up all electromagnetic transmissions on any frequency, then leave Moony space and transmit it all back to us.  We'll have the supercomputer and linguists sort through it and see if we can't get a better grasp of their language(s).
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 02, 2012, 09:25:02 pm »

^ Go ahead with this plan.  We do need to find out what the hell they are thinking and why they aren't responding to our hails.

So what are we doing?  Are we firing at the asteroids now, or waiting to see if we can sort this out?  I personally favor option two, though now that they've made a clear and open act of hostility that may or may not be possible.  Hesitation at this point could cost us lives, and we may need to prioritize the safety of the Humans over trying to make peace with a bunch of aliens throwing asteroids at us just because we pulled back our shuttle.  It doesn't make sense; why the hell would they commit to an attack on that scale when we've made no violent actions towards them?  They could have at least tried to contact us.  I really want to know what the hell they are thinking.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:41:12 pm by Xvareon »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 02, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »

The next two months pass in a blur, with most focus going towards the Moonie Crisis. Research is continued in the self-repairing carbon field, and a breakthrough occurs. The technology has been demonstrated on a small scale, but will still take some work to put into industrial or military applications.

Work on an asteroid buster missile is going like gangbusters, until an overly zealous lab technician accidentally knocks an armed detonation trigger off of a table and sets off a cascade of explosions that ripples up towards a munitions bunker near the research facility. 85 souls are vaporized in an instant. The only consolation is that the force of the blast precluded any fires from developing. It is meager consolation, but better than none. Needless to say, the research doesn't produce any useful gains this month.

Work on expanding the fleet meets with a similar calamity. A fusion torch accidentally flashes off and burns through the containment field and outer hull of the orbital shipyard. Thankfully, the damage is limited to a few compartments, but it effectively sets back the construction efforts by a month. Only one new frigate, a new mine corvette, and four fighters are produced.

The defensive system is expanded without incident, doubling in effectiveness. Videos of its performance in the first attack are shown to citizens, bolstering morale and reducing some panic. As part of that effort, a new lens is put in orbit above Gaia.

The Moonies are observed using several different means: telescopes, stealth probes, and various electronic monitoring programs. A breakthrough occurs when a stealthed probe transmits the location where asteroids are gathering, at a Lagrange point between the two gas giants. It is jammed as soon as it transmits the data back and never heard from again, but the information will be useful if additional attacks come. The efforts fail to produce any evidence of how the asteroids are moved, be it via ship or a central location.

The lingusts believe that they may have uncovered some of their earlier mistakes, and reach out to the Moonies once more. This is their response, as best as can be deciphered. "Your [assault or entry] into our [home or space] was not [good or okay]. Consider yourselves warned. Any additional aggression will mean [death or pain]. Our [warning or demonstration] was just that."

The politicians in the Grand Parliament see this as a chance for reprieve and reduced tensions, and the generals recommend no further attacks, given their society's decentralized nature. After the carnage of the quickly ramped up weapons program, that suggestion seems eminently reasonable.

Time lapsed in system: 3 years, 6 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Deep Space Navy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:32 pm »

Transmit information, schematics, in binary so as to be easily deciphered, about an innocuous but semi-valuable technology as a peace offering, then just monitor the moonies as we focus on other stuff. :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 02, 2012, 11:51:35 pm »

Unnecessary.  They just want us to stop bugging them; seems they knew we could block a few asteroids with that defense system of ours and were just trying to make a point.  A very effective point at that -- they could probably crush us into oblivion if they wanted to, I seriously doubt we have the capacity to fight off a full-scale concentrated asteroid wave.  At least this gives us some breathing room to concentrate on other things for now.

> Continue researching the asteroid busters, but tell the scientists to be careful this time.  Just leave them stockpiled within easy reach, we can't afford a demonstration of any sort now, the tensions are far too high for that.
> Take census of all colonists on Aries and Gaia and build a few civilian ships -- mostly decent sized transports meant to ferry people to and from our colonies.  We don't want our guys feeling hemmed in, so lets let them visit relatives or move around if they want to.  Perhaps the Gaians can set up their own town halls to allow them to govern themselves, they seemed to be quite uncomfortable with the idea of having our Mavens tag along as advisers.  I want to focus on getting Gaia to self-sufficiency status now.
> Our population is undoubtedly going to explode soon.  We should try and advance our medical technology (and get a few basic bots down on Gaia as well), and train at least one experienced doctor per colony to head off any diseases or nasty avoidable deaths.  Mavens would be perfect for this due to their implants and augmentations, and would also endear us in the eyes of the Humans for pursuing altruistic goals.
> Apologize to the Moonies and promise that there won't be any further acts of aggression towards them.  Ask them if they want to try and meet again at a neutral location, or hell, even on one of their moons.  I have little doubt about trusting these guys now, at the very least we should get a good look at their faces.  I doubt we can get them to disperse those asteroids yet, though, they probably fear that we'd attack them the second they dropped their guard.  I just want to come to some sort of understanding with these guys now, we've had way too much tension so far.

Also, how the hell do we have fusion torches already?  I thought miniaturizing our tech that far was just that -- far out of our reach.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 03, 2012, 01:16:11 am »

Right, well prepare mass bombardment towards the moons of the moonies, DO NOT FIRE YET HOWEVER.

Continue work on things people say, just wanted to say we should be ready.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1237 on: May 03, 2012, 05:20:37 am »

I too still support war simply because they may decide "screw peace lets kill them"
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 03, 2012, 06:22:29 am »

How unlucky... But we still need a good sized Navy

We should build something 2 frigates, 16 fighters and 5 corvetes

Also I propose to build defenses around Aquarius, too. It's a valuable planet and should be protected. In fact every planet deserves some protection

We should continue to research the asteroid busters and if research will be successful, we should design a new kind of ship - Bombers - 25 ft, armed with this new missiles. Also try to incorporate self-repairing carbon technology in this new design.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 03, 2012, 07:13:17 am »

Also, how the hell do we have fusion torches already?  I thought miniaturizing our tech that far was just that -- far out of our reach.

Hah! Yeah. I was tired. Replace that with "futuristic acetylene torch."

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 03, 2012, 07:14:03 am »

How unlucky...

I believe at least 4 ones were rolled during the research and naval buildup phase.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:07 am »

How unlucky... But we still need a good sized Navy

We should build something 2 frigates, 16 fighters and 5 corvetes

Also I propose to build defenses around Aquarius, too. It's a valuable planet and should be protected. In fact every planet deserves some protection

We should continue to research the asteroid busters and if research will be successful, we should design a new kind of ship - Bombers - 25 ft, armed with this new missiles. Also try to incorporate self-repairing carbon technology in this new design.

I agree, either a bomber or missile frigate of some sort would be an ideal delivery system.  Bombers most likely if we can actually fit the missile on it to begin with, I dunno how large this cracker missile is going to be when its finished.

Like to add one more research project to consider, given the high incidence of fires and such lately...
> Fire suppressant drones.  These are flying drones that can be remote controlled to fly over the site of a fire and spray fire extinguisher on it to stop the blaze in its tracks.  This should be a fairly simple tech to grab.

Also thought of one more;
> Quarantine drones.  Flying or land based drones that carry sanitizing foam to quickly cleanse any affected regions of most known germs or viruses, though wouldn't be of much use at curing the people themselves.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1242 on: May 03, 2012, 02:20:15 pm »

Why are we building fighters in space, when we can build them on the ground?

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:43 pm »

Fighters are interceptors and maybe don't bear strong enough engines to fly into space?

Dunno.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1244 on: May 03, 2012, 02:25:22 pm »

We have a space elevator they don't need to fly into space!
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 117