No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360232 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1200 on: April 30, 2012, 10:25:46 am »

Feel free to change the plan.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:30 am »

So they plan to fight us by throwing giant rocks at us, hmm?  Decent, so we'll need a substantial defense network to throw off potential attack.  We're also going to need to reassure the colonists that we have it under control, can't let panic grip the hearts of our people.  Make sure they understand that we can stop this, show them footage (if we have it) of the asteroids being broken up by our weapons so they know its something we can handle.  The one thing we want to avoid is people spreading rumor or trying to cause a panic or be doomsayers or anything like that.

We still need a lens in Gaian orbit to knock out any dust- or ice-balls that come our way, and a heavy torpedo to crack open the iron-nickel or dense asteroids.  Run estimates on how many asteroids our system could reliably bring down and update it every time a new platform comes online, and see if we can use the telescope to make out the largest size for those asteroids the Moonies are gathering together.  Find out where they are gathering them from if possible, watch the process in action -- they might be using a tractor-beam equipped vessel or similar device to shunt them in place.  If so we can send stealthed combat patrols to hide among the asteroids and wait for them to show up; of course this runs a serious risk of us losing our ships, but it might be worth a shot and we do need a way to strike back.  Our reflective stealth coating isn't doing anything else at the moment, anyway.  Start with a few Minelayer Corvettes, send them up to any cluster of asteroids we think is close enough for them to go for yet not close enough to affect with their gravitic fields.  Drop several combat drones at key positions and watch what happens.

Oh, and gravity manipulation is still *far* outside of our tech range; we're going to need a reliable source of fusion power to get that much energy and we need to figure out how to manipulate it in the first place.  Really it might cost more than its worth right now, though I really love the idea of using the Moonies' own weapons against them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:30:11 am by Xvareon »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31:08 am »

We can take preemptive action if we want. The lasers can reach the asteroids.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 30, 2012, 10:49:34 am »

True we could but that might cause them to send their whole load at us too early before we're ready.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:43 am »

I don't think we should try preemptive yet. Let them show hostility first, then we can FIRE OUR DEATH BEAMS THROUGH THE CORE OF THEIR GAS GIANT. First, lets make sure that they can't get an asteroid dangerously close to any of our planets.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 30, 2012, 11:02:00 am »

I don't think we should try preemptive yet. Let them show hostility first, then we can FIRE OUR DEATH BEAMS THROUGH THE CORE OF THEIR GAS GIANT. First, lets make sure that they can't get an asteroid dangerously close to any of our planets.
I doubt that would accomplish anything. At worst we'll cause a small surface storm. We can blast their moon cities to bits though.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 30, 2012, 11:05:06 am »

oh. . . . . I was kinda thinking of maybe igniting the whole thing and causing the moonies to fry.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 30, 2012, 11:08:19 am »

oh. . . . . I was kinda thinking of maybe igniting the whole thing and causing the moonies to fry.
Gas giants don't burn. Not easily anyways. (You'd have to heat them to the point of fusion, which is not easily to accomplish)
I think it'd be easier to just burn their cities.

Anyway, I propose we try diplomatic contact again.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 30, 2012, 12:40:56 pm »

I think we should build bigger fleet, out plantery defence looks adequate. 2-3  Frigates, 5-10 Mine Corvettes and 20-30 fighters. will give us strategic mobility. Also, they are useful as a force to crack really big asteroids before they reach planet (If we crack a big asteriod near a planet it may be too late, and we'll have no time to destroy it's fragments))
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:30 pm »

I think we should build bigger fleet, out plantery defence looks adequate. 2-3  Frigates, 5-10 Mine Corvettes and 20-30 fighters. will give us strategic mobility. Also, they are useful as a force to crack really big asteroids before they reach planet (If we crack a big asteriod near a planet it may be too late, and we'll have no time to destroy it's fragments))
Yup, good idea. I think we also should locate their gravity wells.

Method:
-Bounce laser of any objects in their range + observe background stars
-List all chance in frequency, trajectory, wavelength...
-make a map of these chances.
-Find center of changes = Gravity well

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 30, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »

Agreed.  Thankfully we have plentiful laser tech so this should be a cinch.  If we can find a ship or generator making these gravity wells or using a tractor beam we can just fry it and stop them from throwing rocks at us.  Direct attack with a fleet is completely out of the question; even if we did get close enough to attack them those gravity wells would render 2/3 of our weapons unusable, and we still have to deal with those asteroids hurtling toward us at extreme speed.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 30, 2012, 02:15:26 pm »

As for research I think we do need gravity manipulation, but let's start small and research a tractor beam. It's useful in this asteroid warfare. Why blast asteroids if we may slow down them, park somewhere and use for resources?

And design a new kind of ship, haulers, basically fighter hull + tractor beam
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:18 pm »

> Are we sure our steal technology works?  If so, make a stealth probe and arm it with a nuke.  Program it to start to land in the largest Moonie city it sees and detonate the nuke a bit off the ground.  The global impact of one of their largest cities being destroyed should hurt their war effort pretty significantly.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »

> Are we sure our steal technology works?  If so, make a stealth probe and arm it with a nuke.  Program it to start to land in the largest Moonie city it sees and detonate the nuke a bit off the ground.  The global impact of one of their largest cities being destroyed should hurt their war effort pretty significantly.
I don't know if we want to kill them. Besides I think our stealth tech isn't perfect.

Also we have enough laser power to laser their cities into the ground.

If we need ;ore power we can temporaly the telescope and all lenses. That should blow it up.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 30, 2012, 03:03:24 pm »

I don't know if we want to kill them.
They want to kill us.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 117