No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360267 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1185 on: April 27, 2012, 03:19:44 pm »

Woops missed that but we still should send an autonomous drone in and we should begin a long range surveillance program before sending a tiny frigate at them but I doubt that they would openly attack the shuttle especially since they probably know their are more of us on Gaia
They already blew up a shuttle. They'll shoot down a new one too. I'd await what the Space tele says.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 27, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »

I agree that an autonomous spy drone is a good idea, but they just killed someone, so I wouldn't count on them showing any restraint against an unmanned drone.  It will to be really sneaky so as to go completely undetected or they'll just blow it up.  Alternatively, make it really fast and agile in hopes to dodge their asteroid bombardment.

Perhaps we could send several of both types of spy drones.  At this point, we don't really gain anything by holding back.  Nothing besides an overt military attack can damage relations any more than they already have been damaged, so do whatever it takes to gain information about our enemies' capabilities.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1187 on: April 27, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »

Actually we could make a huge mistake by not seeing their full capabilities weapons sites and ships because for all we know they may have 20,000 nukes in their back pocket, besides we don't have to in a hurry considering if the part about them not being able to reach us is true it means we are safe, so in the meantime we can identify targets for a strike mission, so that if it comes to war we can have an idea of what we are doing, where to hit, their ships, and finally their full defenses.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 28, 2012, 12:44:05 am »

It strikes me as curious that they would ask for our diplomats to come to their world in the first place if they truly feared us learning anything dangerous or delivering a bomb or whatever.  If they perceived us as a threat they could send several asteroids our way -- indeed, they might still -- but they could have done that from the start if that was the case.  Just pulling our envoy back from physical contact should not have been enough to make them mistrust us enough to kill off our scout, in light of the fact that they pulled theirs back as well.  Everything we have done so far has made sense despite it being more or less a lie, now I want to know what these guys are really thinking.  Too bad we still can't get a line with them.

Direct military action is ill-advised at this point; if they can put down our nimble shuttle like a gnat on a windshield our frigates don't have a chance.  We need to wait until we find either a diplomatic solution or a way to properly defend ourselves in the worst case scenario.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 28, 2012, 02:33:46 am »

Large mass drivers firing cheap, high-density rounds (copper, maybe) would work very well against asteroids, since the force of impact would greatly alter their course, pushing them out of the path of their target.

> Build some defensive platforms around Aries (and maybe a few around Aquarius and Gaia) based around these large mass drivers.  Space them out so they can cover all of Aries.  Ideally they will need to be able to fire fast enough to deal with a large asteroid swarm.
Problem with these things is that they would work well on highdensity asteroids, they would just fly through large lowdensity ones, shattering them but not altering their course. Still, I'll guess I'll add them to the plan.

Note: Just quote +modify it if you want too.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 28, 2012, 02:37:09 am »

Plan 0.1
Building:
???(Ship design here)
-Expand shipyard
-Planetary defense system using laser sattelites(All planets, but Aries first). Can be used as com system/ energy transportation in peacetimes.
     -Smaller stations backed up by a primary laser station.
      -Laser station( Shields, powered by ground based fusion generator, own space elevator)
      -Several mass driver back up stations( Shields,powered by ground based fusion gen, own space elevator)
-New lens in Gaian orbit.
-Equip bunkers with fusion reactors( Aries, then Gaia)
-More nuclear warheads
-Fragmention warheads designed to stop high density asteroids.

Research:
-Modular ship building: Spaceships don't need to be made out of one part or look pretty. We can just create multiple cubic modules and attach them to each other. Sure the thing won't be very aerodynamic, but that's not a problem in space.

-Self regenerating carbon: Ie carbonfiber hulls that can repair small fractures

-Super conductive carbon nanotubes.

-Space energy transmission (To allow fusion powered command and control ships powering an armada off smaller craft)

Actions:
- Gaint space telecope: Look at moonies (Also watch out for more asteroids)
- Solar observatory: We made one some time ago. Look if there are still no problems. The preivous prediction was for the next 3 years
- Humans: Do a test of the evacuation towards the bunker. Wan't to see if everthing works without problem (Both Gaian and Aries bunkers)
- Linguists: Attempt to reestablish contact with the moonies. Ask them why they blew up our shuttle.
- Planetary defense system: Blast any assteroid that comes to close. Check for habitition or other things first.(Maybe the asteroid barrage was a failed attempt at a rendezvous using a asteroid turned into a spaceship).

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 28, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »

Problem with these things [mass drivers] is that they would work well on highdensity asteroids, they would just fly through large lowdensity ones, shattering them but not altering their course.
Shattering them might not be so bad either.  As long as the individual pieces are small enough, they will just burn up harmlessly in the atmosphere. (Of course thats only if they're headed for the planet, if they're aimed at a target in space then shattering them would be very bad)
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:50 am »

What kind of missiles are we using? Nuclear? If I remember correctly a nuclear missile not only creates a massive explosion of atomic energy it makes a massive EMP pulse as well so just one would seriously screw unhardened electronics on ships.  My point being we'd have to be extremely careful not to nail our own butts to the wall.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 29, 2012, 02:59:22 am »

What kind of missiles are we using? Nuclear? If I remember correctly a nuclear missile not only creates a massive explosion of atomic energy it makes a massive EMP pulse as well so just one would seriously screw unhardened electronics on ships.  My point being we'd have to be extremely careful not to nail our own butts to the wall.
Conventional missiles. Problem is EMP effect only exist on planets, because it is created by the bomb ionizing part of the atmosphere and then moving the charge around. In space a nuke is just a pretty light

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 29, 2012, 06:10:43 am »

Posting this evening. Get your final suggestions in.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 29, 2012, 04:14:28 pm »

Would space mines work?  Lay a bunch of automated shaped-charge mines wherever you need, when they detect something they lock on and use a single-use high power engine to deliver the warhead.  Could be delivered by a Corvette-class vessel (2 to 3 times Fighter size with a couple extra crew members) or a specially designed Frigate though Corvettes would be faster and cheaper.  We can lay as many mines as we want rather than only using missiles when the time is right so by the time something comes through we already have a substantial minefield ready to nail the threat.  These can also be remote-controlled if necessary or disabled during peacetime (or you can just use a simple IFF).  Minelayer Corvettes ftw?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:20:54 pm by Xvareon »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 30, 2012, 08:03:32 am »

Would space mines work?  Lay a bunch of automated shaped-charge mines wherever you need, when they detect something they lock on and use a single-use high power engine to deliver the warhead.  Could be delivered by a Corvette-class vessel (2 to 3 times Fighter size with a couple extra crew members) or a specially designed Frigate though Corvettes would be faster and cheaper.  We can lay as many mines as we want rather than only using missiles when the time is right so by the time something comes through we already have a substantial minefield ready to nail the threat.  These can also be remote-controlled if necessary or disabled during peacetime (or you can just use a simple IFF).  Minelayer Corvettes ftw?

Oh hell yes. Also, I am back. So much has happened.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 30, 2012, 08:54:20 am »

GM Note: Sorry for the delay... Crusader Kings II had its hooks in me last night.

As tensions run high, most of the focus in the system turns to defense. A Mine Corvette is proposed, which will work very well with existing combat missile drones developed a few years back and scattered about the system for defense. The ship, roughly 40 feet in length, contains shields, absorptive stealth coating, and bays and external racks holding the combat missile drones. The first model will be available next month.

The shipyard continues to expand, and is now able to handle ships up to 150 feet in length. Most of its production goes towards fighters and rigates, the first of which are undergoing trials at the end of the second month.

A planetary defense system is fabricated using nearly all of the remaining industrial power of the system, and it is formidable. Aries is covered, as is Gaia, at this point. Several dozen small laser stations are created, with power provided on the station by a fission generator. Larger laser and mass driver stations are also created, powered by ground-based fusion and tethered with a space elevator.

Unfortunately, all the system's industrial efforts are directed to this project, so some wish-list items for the colony (a new orbital lens for Gaia, new fusion reactors for the bunkers, more nuclear warheads, and specialized warheads for asteroids) are put on hold, as they are seen as lesser priorities for the moment.

Research is directed in two directions: modular ship building and self-regenerating carbon. The first priority does not go well, as it seems to offend several of the ship designer's sense of propriety. They prefer specialized designs and make a persuasive case as to why that is the best for future ship designs. The second priority goes poorly as well, when a laboratory fire douses a potentially successful avenue of research. Further research is not able to get started on the subject while the lab is cleaned up. Thankfully, the fire does not spread any further and is easily contained.

The giant telescopes are trained on the moonies, and the results are quite terrifying. They appear to be amassing a store of asteroids, hundreds in fact, that were not present in orbit of the gas giant moons previously. Whether these are for defense or attack is not known, but by observing them, it is clear the Moonies possess some sort of gravity manipulation technology, as they move the giant rocks without any clear thrust or impetus. Attempts to re-establish contact with the Moonies fails miserably, and the linguists now doubt every single conversation they ever "had" with the aliens.

Checking the solar outlook goes substantially better, as there are still no likely issues predicted in the form of solar flares or mass coronal ejections.

Back on ground, a test evacuation to the bunkers is performed, and it all goes smoothly on both planets.

The new defense system is put to the test, as well, when a volley of 10 asteroids is detected heading towards Aries by the telescope. They are coming in blisteringly fast. The system is up to task, however, and all 10 projectiles are struck down well before they threaten the planet. However, the attack shakes morale severely, as this is the first openly hostile act towards the new colony. The system is officially at war.

Time lapsed in system: 3 years, 4 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Deep Space Navy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:05:16 am by Maldevious »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 30, 2012, 08:58:52 am »

Plan 0.1
Building:
-Missile frigates(Ship design here)
-Expand shipyard
-New lens in Gaian orbit.
-Equip bunkers with fusion reactors( Aries, then Gaia)
-More nuclear warheads
-Fragmention warheads designed to stop high density asteroids.

Research:
-Modular ship building: The point of this is making larger ships with small shipyards. (By composing them out of modules)

-Self regenerating carbon: Ie carbonfiber hulls that can repair small fractures

-Super conductive carbon nanotubes.

-Space energy transmission (To allow fusion powered command and control ships powering an armada off smaller craft)

Actions:
- Gaint space telecope: Look at moonies (Also watch out for more asteroids)
- Solar observatory: We made one some time ago. Look if there are still no problems. The preivous prediction was for the next 3 years
- Humans: Do a test of the evacuation towards the bunker. Wan't to see if everthing works without problem (Both Gaian and Aries bunkers)
- Linguists: Attempt to reestablish contact with the moonies. Ask them why they blew up our shuttle.
- Planetary defense system: Blast any assteroid that comes to close. Check for habitition or other things first.(Maybe the asteroid barrage was a failed attempt at a rendezvous using a asteroid turned into a spaceship).

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:22 am »

Quote from:  Numbered by Zomara in order of importance importance

Plan 0.1
Building:
2.-Missile frigates(Ship design here)
5.-Expand shipyard
6.-New lens in Gaian orbit.
3.-Equip bunkers with fusion reactors( Aries, then Gaia)
4.-More nuclear warheads
1.-Fragmention warheads designed to stop high density asteroids.

Research:
2.-Modular ship building: The point of this is making larger ships with small shipyards. (By composing them out of modules)

3.-Self regenerating carbon: Ie carbonfiber hulls that can repair small fractures

4.-Super conductive carbon nanotubes.

1. -Space energy transmission (To allow fusion powered command and control ships powering an armada off smaller craft)

Actions:
2.- Gaint space telecope: Look at moonies (Also watch out for more asteroids)
4.- Solar observatory: We made one some time ago. Look if there are still no problems. The preivous prediction was for the next 3 years
3.- Humans: Do a test of the evacuation towards the bunker. Wan't to see if everthing works without problem (Both Gaian and Aries bunkers)
5.- Linguists: Attempt to reestablish contact with the moonies. Ask them why they blew up our shuttle.
1.- Planetary defense system: Blast any assteroid that comes to close. Check for habitition or other things first.(Maybe the asteroid barrage was a failed attempt at a rendezvous using a asteroid turned into a spaceship).

Might I also recommend researching gravitational manipulation as well? If we can use it to make temporary gravity swells, we can use it to pull their asteroids far off course in the matter of seconds. If we are really good, we can "push" them back to where they came from.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 117