No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360269 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1170 on: April 27, 2012, 10:14:04 am »

Lasers might work for tiny planetoids but I doubt they'd much scratch a big one.  Need to find a way to reliably crack open a rock that big... maybe we should look into a heavy missile specially designed to fragment an asteroid.  Have it explode in stages for maximum penetration effect then detonate the main warhead once it's reached maximum depth -- i.e, bunker buster.  In any case you're right, we need considerable early warning against these things if we're going to have much hope of stopping them, so go ahead and use the telescope and if our sensors are good enough them too.

We could even make another mirror around Gaia and see how these asteroids hold up to concentrated solar radiation.  As a bonus we could use it to defend the colony; who needs a low orbit ion cannon when you can fry most things on the ground like ants with a magnifying glass? xD
We don't want to crack open asteroids. That 'd give you multiple asteroids that would still crash into the planet.  Laser on the other side can be used to melt parts of them ( Asteroids are made of dust and ice in most circumstances) this melted water will instantly vaporize and fly away, providing thrust and deflecting the asteroid of it's original course.
We'd better have some busters ready if they send Highdensity asteroids( Ie, stone/iron instead of mud and dust) though.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 27, 2012, 10:15:06 am »

How about numbers fire thousands of missiles at them some should hit or we should at least see their capabilities.
1. I don't think we havethousands of missiles.
2. IF the missiles could beat them, there would have been a more resourcefull/peacefull solution possible
3. If the missiles can't  beat them, we have quite a large problem.

Also please note that we have a giant telescope in orbit around Aries, if needed we can turn that one around and aiming at the sun, giving us acces to an awesome solar laser.

Plan 0.1
Building:
???(Ship design here)
-Expand shipyard
-Planetary defense system using laser sattelites(All planets, but Aries first). Can be used as com system/ energy transportation in peacetimes.
-New lens in Gaian orbit.
-Equip bunkers with fusion reactors( Aries, then Gaia)
-More nuclear warheads
-Fragmention warheads designed to stop high density asteroids.

Research:
-Modular ship building: Spaceships don't need to be made out of one part or look pretty. We can just create multiple cubic modules and attach them to each other. Sure the thing won't be very aerodynamic, but that's not a problem in space.

- Self regenerating carbon: Ie carbonfiber hulls that can repair small fractures

-Space energy transmission (To allow fusion powered command and control ships powering an armada off smaller craft)

Actions:
- Gaint space telecope: Look at moonies
- Solar observatory: We made one some time ago. Look if there are still no problems. The preivous prediction was for the next 3 years
- Humans: Do a test of the evacuation towards the bunker. Wan't to see if everthing works without problem (Both Gaian and Aries bunkers)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:04:49 am by 10ebbor10 »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 27, 2012, 10:59:24 am »

I second everything 10ebbor10 just said, though I doubt a fusion reactor would be necessary (or even practical) for the bunkers on Gaia at this juncture.  You would be sitting on a giant bomb that could crack the whole thing open like an egg if one thing goes wrong, not to mention the fact that we don't even need that much power to begin with since the operation on Gaia is quite small.  I don't even know how small we can make these things yet.

I guess you're right about the lasers, though; it'd be perfect for dealing with dustballs or ice comets which make up the majority of asteroids.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:23 am »

I second everything 10ebbor10 just said, though I doubt a fusion reactor would be necessary (or even practical) for the bunkers on Gaia at this juncture.  You would be sitting on a giant bomb that could crack the whole thing open like an egg if one thing goes wrong, not to mention the fact that we don't even need that much power to begin with since the operation on Gaia is quite small.  I don't even know how small we can make these things yet.

I guess you're right about the lasers, though; it'd be perfect for dealing with dustballs or ice comets which make up the majority of asteroids.
Fusion reactors aren't explosive. They do use extremely hot plasma, but that is extremely underpressurized. If they are damaged they would implode a bit, but nothing bad would actually happen. Standing in one would feel like a warm sunny day, untill you suffocate/die of the effects of standing in near vacuum.

Besides, I want the fusion generator in the Aries bunkers, next to our back up copy, not in the Gaian ones.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:12 am »

I purpose we make another space tether and attach a huge laser with shields to the fusion generator. With that amount of power we should be able to cut through basically anything..

Also research shielding of all types using our new fusion generator. Should be able to get new tech from such a high power supply.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 27, 2012, 11:36:45 am »

I purpose we make another space tether and attach a huge laser with shields to the fusion generator. With that amount of power we should be able to cut through basically anything..

Also research shielding of all types using our new fusion generator. Should be able to get new tech from such a high power supply.
They are planetary fusion generators, apparently too big to use in space.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 27, 2012, 11:40:49 am »

Moonies are enemies... awesome. Yeah some sort of point defence or repulsion field? They seem to be pretty damn advanced in gravitational tech, probably launched the first asteroid to see what we'd do. How about sending probes to explore around moonie space in a sort of spiral pattern while slowly moving closer so we can map at what points they start launching asteroids. Sort of like mapping what areas they act hostile within, run scans up till that point, send peace messages (a nice little cover), get some data on their grav capabilities. Making sure they are simple scout drones of course. Its hardly hostile, and maybe set up a perimeter so as to moniter any dangerous stuff coming our way?

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 27, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »

Carbon nanotubes are capable super conductance.. we send the power up the space tether from the planet.
Just to mention we could just build a huge orbital space fusion generator.

Anyways research supercooling the space tether. Then build that space tether, and begin work on giant orbital laser..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:14:24 pm by Immortal »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:56 pm »

Carbon Nano-tubes are theoretically capable of near-super conductance.. we send the power up the space tether from the planet.
Just to mention we could just build a huge orbital space fusion generator.

Anyways Research Super Conducting Carbon Nano-tubes. Then build a space tether using that, begin work on giant orbital laser..
We can do orbital lasers much simpeler, since building lenses doesn't seem to take much effort. I do support an orbital defense station though.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 27, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »

Plan 0.1
Building:
???(Ship design here)
-Expand shipyard
-Planetary defense system using laser sattelites(All planets, but Aries first). Can be used as com system/ energy transportation in peacetimes.
     -Smaller stations backed up by a primary laser station.
      -Laser station( Shields, powered by ground based fusion generator, own space elevator)
-New lens in Gaian orbit.
-Equip bunkers with fusion reactors( Aries, then Gaia)
-More nuclear warheads
-Fragmention warheads designed to stop high density asteroids.

Research:
-Modular ship building: Spaceships don't need to be made out of one part or look pretty. We can just create multiple cubic modules and attach them to each other. Sure the thing won't be very aerodynamic, but that's not a problem in space.

-Self regenerating carbon: Ie carbonfiber hulls that can repair small fractures

-Super conductive carbon nanotubes.

-Space energy transmission (To allow fusion powered command and control ships powering an armada off smaller craft)

Actions:
- Gaint space telecope: Look at moonies
- Solar observatory: We made one some time ago. Look if there are still no problems. The preivous prediction was for the next 3 years
- Humans: Do a test of the evacuation towards the bunker. Wan't to see if everthing works without problem (Both Gaian and Aries bunkers)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:22:32 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 27, 2012, 12:20:56 pm »

^ Agreed

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 27, 2012, 01:40:25 pm »

Large mass drivers firing cheap, high-density rounds (copper, maybe) would work very well against asteroids, since the force of impact would greatly alter their course, pushing them out of the path of their target.

> Build some defensive platforms around Aries (and maybe a few around Aquarius and Gaia) based around these large mass drivers.  Space them out so they can cover all of Aries.  Ideally they will need to be able to fire fast enough to deal with a large asteroid swarm.

> Send a strongly worded message to the Moonies decrying their hostile actions.  Inform them that any further killing of humans will result in their destruction! 

It may be an empty threat, but they might not know that.  In any case, it at least lets them know that we're serious.

> Tow an asteroid out in their general direction (put it about 1/3 of the way between Aries and the Moonies, clearly in "our territory").  Make sure they see it.  Then blast it into dust.  If they're not understanding the messages we're sending, at least that should get through to them.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1182 on: April 27, 2012, 02:23:39 pm »

Maybe we should look at this from their point of view. A shuttle heads at them without warning. For all they know it might have a nuke on board. I think we should build a spy drone with autonomy so it can enter the jamming zone and come back.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 27, 2012, 03:14:42 pm »

They said "Come over we're throwing a party!" practically, they knew we sent a diplomacy shuttle and they shot it down. Our only resolution is further decryption of their language and moar space defenses.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1184 on: April 27, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »

Woops missed that but we still should send an autonomous drone in and we should begin a long range surveillance program before sending a tiny frigate at them but I doubt that they would openly attack the shuttle especially since they probably know their are more of us on Gaia
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 117