No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360327 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1110 on: April 18, 2012, 06:34:18 am »

On Aquarius, attempts to teach the Avians math are met with no success. They seem to have no concept of counting or numbers, and grow frustrated when the researchers begin to introduce the concepts. The tribe that had been growing close with the researchers even moves away from the station for several weeks, only returning briefly for food and rarely interacting via sign language.

. . . . . . . That killed 20 of my plans.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 18, 2012, 07:26:28 am »

On Aquarius, attempts to teach the Avians math are met with no success. They seem to have no concept of counting or numbers, and grow frustrated when the researchers begin to introduce the concepts. The tribe that had been growing close with the researchers even moves away from the station for several weeks, only returning briefly for food and rarely interacting via sign language.
. . . . . . . That killed 20 of my plans.

Then for the sake of your plans... LETS MAKE THEM SMARTER.

As for mavens, same with the others, completely thought of the borg when reading the update. Had an idea, then realised it was already like the borg... all the good ideas are taken :(. I was thinking research a way to stop bleeding out, install the new feature in a figure head, and then the mavens become functional through this sort of leader (which is reminisent of a borg queen... damn the fact all ideas have been thought of before). If we do, it should be in a military figure, they would make great weapons. We probably cant make any new mavens as of current though as this bleeding in a way destroys the individual and humans dont like that.

Since we have a ship-yard, go for a couple of freighters to be built so that transport between the planets doesnt need to be done by our main ship. Then with our main ship...... RETROFIT IT WITH WEAPONS.

Which brings me to my next point, we need to actually have weapons. Study energy (laser/beam/plasma/pulse - pick one and go with it) weaponry?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:28:57 am by Watsst »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 18, 2012, 07:32:29 am »

I'd go with lasers. Accurate, fast, and near unlimited range. We do have (small) mass drivers though, and a heavy shell impacting at several hunderd meters per second does some damage.

I propose we continue to try and terraform Aries. Deploy the required bacteria and try again with the trees, but this time plant them in a bag filled with nutritients and bacteria required for it to grow.

For the situation on Aquaries, are the birdies terretorial, if so, we might need to build another contact center. If not, carry on.

For the Mavens, see what happens if the connection shuts off.( Makes simulations and such first. If it has no negative effects, they should spend part of their time offline to counter personality bleeding). Also, artificially stimulating several nerves might counteract it too.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:32 am »

Introduce the birds to music! Music itself can be expressed in mathematical equations, plus its nearly impossible to resist. We should also see if they have a form of song themselves.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 18, 2012, 08:39:28 am »

So, i read this entire post, and i say i really like it. PTW for now, might join in later.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:43 am »

Maybe we should have stuck with the skiing suits with a built in HUD that tracks allies and spinfusiors.

>>Run repeated test on the brains of the mavens and do some psychology trials.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 18, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »

>>Run repeated test on the brains of the mavens and do some psychology trials.

+1.

I concur with ebbor, too; I can easily see how spending an extended period like that would cause you to become reliant on the system.  We should deal with this problem if we can, I really don't like the idea of all of our guys being completely dependent on the unit.  Too much like a machine, and I'm a pure-blooded human at heart.  I want to see if there's a way we can change the 'frequency' or whatever of these neuro-implants -- they have to be transmitting messages somehow -- so they can't all link with each other at the same time.  That would curb personality bleeding handily, but we'd have to do it quickly before they become reliant on the system.

Space weaponry should not be a problem since we've already got alot of research invested into magnetic fields, but the power requirements to create and maintain those fields and even rotate a gun inside the turret housing is going to be a tad difficult to do if we limit ourselves to nuclear fission for power generation.  I'm not saying it can't work, I mean we can currently make quite effective mass drivers as it is, but when you're talking ships we're going to need a power generator that can power the drives, life support, and any other systems before you even get to weapons.  Fission will work for now, for small ships but we're going to need fusion eventually; design craft with a modular engine/reactor section that can be separated from the main body later.  Stick with basic lasers and missiles as they require little power and are very efficient at their job; we can slap on one or two mass drivers for good measure.  I concur about the small freighters too, if we're currently just using our main ship to move things around we should definitely have those.  It'd spur commerce forward too.

P.S: You can take that poll about how to stop the Asteroid down now, Mal.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:22:50 pm by Xvareon »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 20, 2012, 08:48:50 am »

FYI, heading out of town this weekend, will post either Sunday or more likely Monday evening. So get in any remaining suggestions for this turn before then.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 20, 2012, 08:55:43 am »

In that case, can someone pull together the suggestions so I can look through them and see what can be improved or what needs to be suggested?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:33 am »

Construction on the shipyard is currently going well, Mal left it hanging that thanks to research in carbon nano-fibers we could easily put up a space elevator to quickly transport materials to it from Aries, as well.  We should probably look into that since it'd make the rest of the process go much much quicker.  A number of important issues we've been working on so far have been closed off; the Avians are refusing contact 'cause we tried to teach them math, the Moonies are mysteriously absent (either untrusting of us or something happened on their end), and the terraformers on Gaia sealed all access points so there's nothing we can do about it now unless we feel like deploying heavy weaponry much later.  It's probably time to refocus our efforts.

> Proceed with using drones or humans to collect plant/animal samples on Gaia.  Better to use drones if possible 'cause then we won't risk lives.
> Research Nuclear Fusion for shipboard power generation and other applications.  It'll be a hell of a lot safer, more reliable and powerful than regular old nuclear fission.
> Keep trying to contact the Moonies.  Dispatch probes to investigate what is going on or turn the space telescope towards them to watch for movement, weapons fire, anything out of the ordinary.  If we don't see anything wrong we should probably go ahead and send the envoy anyway, we can explain technical problems and all that blah blah blah but they probably would appreciate a gesture of trust from us about now especially considering we're advancing to combat-capable vessels rather quickly.
> Construct weapons testing facility in orbit around Planet B.  This will allow us easy access to power supplies due to the nuclear and geothermal powerplants on-world since we can transmit the power through the air and to have 0% risk of civilian casualties no matter how heavy the weapon is.  This is our test bed for our space weaponry.  Have fun.
> Construct space elevator to hook Aries to the shipyard in orbit; this will allow us to easily transfer materials to aid in ship construction.
> Observe the development of this 'Personality Bleeding' issue.  Try to disconnect one Maven from the system and see how he reacts; if he becomes reliant on the system he may react either violently or become useless without the resources of the whole unit.  We can't afford to let this get out of control like the algae problem; we have to take decisive action now.

P.S:  BTW it would help if you could reconfirm how many research/construction/scouting jobs we are allowed per turn, thanks xD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:54:58 am by Xvareon »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 20, 2012, 11:22:07 am »

Polls can't be taken down. Only changed.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:47 am »

Been reading this. Amazing game. We seem to be able to research basically anything.. Can we try fusion technology for power generation?

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 20, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »

Sure, why not. But we already have major power gen going on, so really depends on what its wanted for.

And I had a pretty awesome idea. Why not combine our studies of the avians with our maven tech. Picture this, if we can succesfully make an avian maven, and it bleeds info into our batch (and vice versus), we could learn alot about them, gain insight into their 'language' if they have one and at the same time teach one about humanity. Plus there is ample bonuses such as less concern for failures than human subjects, less developed so they wont be as dangerous if they go wrong, and if we can make them succesfully we can mass harvest them off Aquarius to create a large, mobile, replaceable, flying army of cybernetic warriors.

I am dead set on making some avian mavens

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »

P.S:  BTW it would help if you could reconfirm how many research/construction/scouting jobs we are allowed per turn, thanks xD

As with most things in this game, I mostly go by what makes sense to me. The turns are two months each, so it seems like usually a 1-3 things get done in those categories per turn, whether they fail or succeed. But other times I may allow more, if it makes sense. The only concrete rule is that I roll a D6 for most things and use the results within the context of what would make for an interesting story. Hope that helps.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 20, 2012, 03:27:18 pm »

Sure, why not. But we already have major power gen going on, so really depends on what its wanted for.

And I had a pretty awesome idea. Why not combine our studies of the avians with our maven tech. Picture this, if we can succesfully make an avian maven, and it bleeds info into our batch (and vice versus), we could learn alot about them, gain insight into their 'language' if they have one and at the same time teach one about humanity. Plus there is ample bonuses such as less concern for failures than human subjects, less developed so they wont be as dangerous if they go wrong, and if we can make them succesfully we can mass harvest them off Aquarius to create a large, mobile, replaceable, flying army of cybernetic warriors.

I am dead set on making some avian mavens

THIS.  DO IT.  It's awesome and the implications are quite far-reaching.  We could try and clone some Avians from their DNA too, that way we can teach them everything we want them to know without risk of damaging the indigenous population, and it would get us fully loyal flying cybernetic warriors.  The only problem is if we want to try and integrate them into our society later (a course I personally favor), they really won't like to see us doing the rough equivalent of enslaving their kind to work for us.  The current Avians are so far behind us technologically though that it would take many, many years to get to that point -- but still, good objectives always tend to take the most amount of time and effort.  The payoff is long-term and tremendous with few obvious drawbacks; evil routes are short-term gain, long-term loss.  Let's focus on learning more about them for now, we've yet to have a real need for flying warriors or workers yet to begin with what with there being no enemies they could fight on Aquarius, nothing on Aries and nothing yet on Gaia or anywhere else.  Atmospheric conditions are unfavorable for them anywhere else but where they currently are; they would need gravitational adaptation (skeletal structure modification) and atmospheric adaptation (respiratory system modification) before it became viable.

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 117