No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360409 times)

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1005 on: April 01, 2012, 06:23:33 pm »

Dock with asteroid, become internet star- Wrong thread. The gm said we can build nanites by reverse engineering our current nanofab, with the quantum computer it should be easy.
On second thought the nanites than ship and nuke would be best, as that gives us three rolls for ways that we can take out the asteroid. The only thing that I was worried about with the nanites is that if we failed the roll than the meteor would be one step closer to the planet, but with an almost foolproof back up plan it should work even if we fail the roll.

Oh and even if the thing is space junk we have a giant ball of nanites to do random stuff with and we would have had to research nanites for something eventually.

Now what else should we do next turn guys?

[/quote]
Fine. Whatever you think it would take to make peace.
It's alright, no harm done. Apology accepted. Also the idea of a gravitational tractor, which is the technical name for what I've been talking about, does sound crazy at first, I can understand the reaction and am sorry for how disparaging I was in the response. The only reason I even know what that means is that watched a program about it a like a year or two ago and remembered the method, they were talking about how the movie meteor was unrealistic and how they would go about it instead, and the different ways of asteroid diversion. I never thought I would actually need it but it turn out it came in handy.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 02, 2012, 12:49:11 am »

Nuke it +1. If you want a backup plan research nanite production in that area. We'll find out in one turn if it works, and have nanites as a back up.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 02, 2012, 01:43:48 am »

Do we really need to destroy the asteroid, couldn't we just adjust its trajectory so that it doesn't go anywhere near the planet?

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 02, 2012, 03:12:51 am »

Do we really need to destroy the asteroid, couldn't we just adjust its trajectory so that it doesn't go anywhere near the planet?

I believe that is the idea with the ship. It isn't exactly thruters but I believe it trioed with the other defences should be sufficient.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 02, 2012, 07:06:56 am »

I really have no sense of consensus on this. Putting up a poll. Will post when this is figured out.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game (Asteroid Poll)
« Reply #1010 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:01 am »

Let me know if I missed an option on the poll

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:08 am »

Let me know if I missed an option on the poll
nanite, ship, nuke
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 02, 2012, 07:22:08 am »

Please, oh please show what we rolled for these. I am just oh so curious.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 02, 2012, 07:31:46 am »

Well, as a point of comparison, you rolled a 6 for volunteers for Maven program (avoiding any backlash or panic amongst humans) and a 1 for the implementation (hence 8 died or went crazy).

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 02, 2012, 07:35:51 am »

oh. . . . . . Do we get bonuses on our rolls due to the tri use of techniques, based on the roll, of course?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 02, 2012, 07:43:07 am »

No bonuses, just another roll. I tend to be more narrative based than anything else (what would be most interesting for the story vs. just rolling the dice).

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 02, 2012, 07:53:00 am »

makes sense. Cant wait to read what the outcome is like.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 02, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »

Still a close vote, only 12 in too. Probably posting tonight.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:07 pm »

As the asteroid grows nearer and nearer, a brisk debate breaks out amongst the subroutines over what to do about it. Thankfully, the speed at which the AI operates means the grand debate lasts roughly one minute, real time. A consensus is reached: first, nanites will be developed in the nano-factory and deployed to the asteroid for mining and breaking down. The nanites are fabricated safely, but there is a problem with their delivery. The probe that they are sent over on experiences a hardware failure, and misses its mark completely. It zings off into the depths of the asteroid belt, quickly disappearing from the ships sensors with nary a trace.

Thankfully, the ship was following closely behind, and by positioning itself near the massive rock, is able to subtly affect the course of the asteroid over the next two months. By the end of the second month, it has been redirected safely past Aquarius. Tides will be slightly larger than usual this month, but otherwise there are no ill effects.

On Gaia, robots are sent to the terraforming station. First, small recon and surveillance bots are deployed, but they see nothing out of the ordinary, save for the fact that the hatch that was opened is now closed. A rover approaches, backed up by security robots shipped from Aries. The hatch is opened once again, but nothing happens. The security bots maintain a perimeter, and the rover enters.

Inside, amidst a cacophony of machinery, rests a giant robot, covered in spikes and blades, that appears to be inactive at the moment. It shines dimly in the half-light. The rover approaches it, and the robot flashes out a clawed talon, immediately destroying it. However, it makes no moves towards the outside. The captain speculates that it may be defensive in nature, or perhaps it is primarily meant to discourage organics.

A message is sent to the Moonies, asking for a face to face meeting. Surprisingly, they agree. They lack the capability to travel in the depths of space, but they are wary of the entire ship coming out to visit them. They will entertain a small diplomatic team, sent in a shuttle. The team is quickly assembled from the Grand Parliament and the military, and they are en route. They will arrive next month (and, yes, there is an uplink to the AI on the ship).

Once again, the algae wall is considered, and it is still beyond the capabilities of the colonies. "Perhaps this will serve as a reminder of our hubris, ship" muses the head scientist. The medical drones continue to be upgraded, but progress is agonizingly slow. The Maven program is similarly constrained, as the two surviving members are brought along very carefully in order to prevent them from going nuts. They manage to communicate back and forth with one another through their implants without going insane, though, which is a great success.

Finally, a small human cloning facility is proposed, in addition to a fertility center to increase the birth rate. The Grand Parliament agrees wholeheartedly, as they are quite spooked by the extraterrestrial presence in the system. "We need to increase our numbers as quickly as possible. This system is getting quite... crowded."

GM Note: I will be gone next week (starting this Friday), so the game will be taking a small break while I'm gone. I hope to get one more turn in before then.

Time lapsed in system: 2 years, 6 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:57 pm »

Create some more mining robots and send them to planet E. We need all the rescources!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 117