No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360439 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #960 on: April 01, 2012, 07:18:32 am »

GM Note: Just thought I'd chime in and point out that you have never deployed, built, or even researched nanites before. Not saying you couldn't do it in time, but it'd add a layer of challenge to the roll.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 01, 2012, 07:31:17 am »

GM Note: Just thought I'd chime in and point out that you have never deployed, built, or even researched nanites before. Not saying you couldn't do it in time, but it'd add a layer of challenge to the roll.

We dont have nanites? Didnt we converse about this some time before?
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 01, 2012, 07:35:17 am »

GM Note: Based on searches I did ("nanobots" "nanobot" "nanites" "nanite"), there has been some talk of them (in regards to super suits and the algae problem), but they were never built or deployed. You have two nano-factories that rearrange resources on a molecular level to create new items, but they are not nanobots. If someone can find a quote proving me wrong, feel free to do so (65 page games tend to have a lot of text to sift through). But I would have most likely put nanobots down in your resources or technology had you used or developed them.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 01, 2012, 07:43:24 am »

Well, if we have nanite tech, making nanites by reverse engineering shouldn't be that hard. lets through that in the mix. in the mean time, new plan, SLOW THAT ROCK DOWN!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 01, 2012, 09:02:57 am »

Well...

We have a nuclear missile...

Why just shoot this mothafukken giant space rock?

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 01, 2012, 09:09:59 am »

Well...

We have a nuclear missile...

Why just shoot this mothafukken giant space rock?
NAh then it breaks into smaller chunks that can still do as much damage, and over a larger area.

Well, if we have nanite tech, making nanites by reverse engineering shouldn't be that hard. lets through that in the mix. in the mean time, new plan, SLOW THAT ROCK DOWN!
Lets just park some ships near the asteriod, the gravitational force of the ships will nudge the asteriod sufficently off course over the long term to avoid a collision with the planet.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 01, 2012, 09:13:04 am »

Lets just park some ships near the asteriod, the gravitational force of the ships will nudge the asteriod sufficently off course over the long term to avoid a collision with the planet.

I hope you mean remote controlled ships we don't have.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 01, 2012, 09:14:35 am »

No our big ship will be sufficent, and we can get there in time.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 01, 2012, 09:23:51 am »

The risk of that is to lose oour ship with all its important stuff in it. including the origional location of earth. GOd blody no. And No I am not spellchecking thsi. its to fullish to even waist time on it.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 01, 2012, 12:54:09 pm »

GM, I am confused. How does our nanofabs do their job without nanites?

>Make nanites to kill the asteroid
>Position ship "near" (relatively) the asteroid with ship board weapons ready
>Doublecheck nanite systems to ensure they don't go rogue
>Kill asteroid

(In that order)
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 01, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »

I think its more that they are construction nanites, which only work within our construction factory. They dont operate outside of it, and are limited in a number of ways. But the more important question for the GM, whats the size of our ship? And whats the size of the asteroid? Its probably a david vs goliath type situation

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 01, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »

The risk of that is to lose oour ship with all its important stuff in it. including the origional location of earth. GOd blody no. And No I am not spellchecking thsi. its to fullish to even waist time on it.
There is almost no chance of losing our ship, by next we are talking a safe distance away. You can accurately forecast the trajectory of the asteroid, and position us so that we do not intersect with its path. It's not like we are in front of the thing either, we would be at the sides and approach from the sides, ensuring that it wouldn't hit us. If it did hit us we would receive a fraction of the total force of the asteroid, as most of its momentum would not be heading toward us.

Also it's not like we don't have engines capable of moving us away if the asteroid does move marginally closer to us.

I think its more that they are construction nanites, which only work within our construction factory. They dont operate outside of it, and are limited in a number of ways. But the more important question for the GM, whats the size of our ship? And whats the size of the asteroid? Its probably a david vs goliath type situation
Well to threaten life on the planet the asteroid must be quiet large, however to achieve intersteller travel while carrying all these humans not to mention containing an advanced AI as well, our ship would also be very large. I would also assume noticed the asteriod far away from the planet, because the duration of the gravitational force is very important, could the GM clarify just how close the asteroid is to the planet?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:20:23 pm by Mr. Palau »

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 01, 2012, 01:26:28 pm »

He said 2 months, so about 2 turns worth. And our ship is more a transport than a war ship, we'd have to retro-fit the thing. And grav force dont work like that, its travelling to fast to be affected. I think nukes the best option

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 01, 2012, 01:32:04 pm »

If we've never used nanites before, perhaps we should put some research into them before deploying them.  We don't want a nanite plague to tear apart the system. 

Most asteroids are loose conglomerations of chunks of rock.  A few good-sized explosions from conventional explosives should shatter it apart pretty well.  Use some of our mining bots to drill a few well-placed boreholes into the asteroid, fill those boreholes with explosives, and watch that asteroid turn into rubble!  Most of the rubble will probably miss the planet (since the explosions that ripped the asteroid apart will have altered their trajectory) and whatever hits will mostly be burned up in the atmosphere. 

If all else fails, we have the nuclear option.  A bunch of radioactive chunks of asteroid falling on Aquarius would no doubt be quite harmful, but probably less harmful than the full force of the asteroid impact.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 01, 2012, 01:35:21 pm »

GM Notes: I don't have exact distances mapped out for the system, but in my mind it is similar distance-wise to our own system (i.e. terrestrial planets closer, asteroid belt, then jovians).

Same applies with the ship: I don't have an exact figure for its size. It must be big, though, as it held a nano-factory, 5000 colonists, and is capable of interstellar travel. It's big enough to try to affect the asteroid gravitationally, but small enough that a bad dice roll might mean you didn't get there in time or weren't big enough, etc.

Nanobots are tiny, self-reproducing robots that consume existing materials to do so. Your nano-factory is a giant, expansive factory that is not self-reproducing, but uses industrial processes to re-arrange resources into different things on a molecular level. I think that's pretty clear. Two different things.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 117