No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360402 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #900 on: March 30, 2012, 03:33:53 pm »

Does that please everyone?

Also The Mavens can just as easily be politicians as well as super soldiers. Again, arbiters. Let's also add the ability to observe lies, body language, and facial features along with increased hearing, and the ability to change and modify the voice the Maven speaks in.

The Maven idea allows for some more interesting writing if you like it (especially in the case of the avians). A subroutine speaking directly to a brain would be weird and different normally but an alien brain?? Now that will be neat. However if you aren't feeling creative just do the usual back and forth. I think the thinking would be similar to the speaking in Greg Bears Blood Music.

Keep in mind though the original host, human mind or avian, always has the most control and the final decision. There is no manual override in the case of the subroutine, just suggestion power. (That means no human extermination, Xeron.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:46:51 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:10 pm »

Modified above post.

And Maven is a title, not a rank or name, just for proper use.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:48:44 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 30, 2012, 03:51:42 pm »

That would be pretty interesting. Could have certain subroutines volunteer to be paired with certain (willing) humans, allowing for more direct interaction with the environment. It would allow the game to progress in a more detail-oriented direction without sacrificing the more broad scope of things we're dealing with now.

Of course, it would also be more difficult for you to keep track of anything, Maldevious. I'd say it should be your call- you're the one that has to do all the work, after all. ;)
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 30, 2012, 03:56:36 pm »

My vision is augmented.
Now on a more serious note.We need to get those humans loyal to us ,because they may eventually go rogue.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 30, 2012, 04:03:30 pm »

My vision is augmented.
Now on a more serious note.We need to get those humans loyal to us ,because they may eventually go rogue.

I think a charismatic super polotician in our pocket would work wonders for that.

The problem with the Mavens is we might have to work out some bugs in the start. This isn't just rocket science after all, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 30, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »

I'm so pumped for this next update.

I think we should keep our Mavens locked up in a hidden facility so we can test them out, make sure there is no nasty effects (insanity and all that). A couple months should be enough of a test period to make sure they are stable (atleast that no short term problems will arise). We will present the first Mavens at 4 months from now. We should stress that these are the go betweens of the biologicals and AI.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 30, 2012, 04:42:43 pm »

Oh and another suggestion once we are done with the borgs.
Mutants in the vein of X-Men.We should slowly attempt to convert all the humans into those,of course after creating a way to shut off their powers in case they go rogue

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 30, 2012, 04:44:56 pm »

Oh and another suggestion once we are done with the borgs.
Mutants in the vein of X-Men.We should slowly attempt to convert all the humans into those,of course after creating a way to shut off their powers in case they go rogue

I'd preffer we didn't mix science with telepathy as far as a game mechanic goes. I always hated when they did that in games like Mass effect and stuff. We could eventually make them mechanized if it catches on, though.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 30, 2012, 05:03:45 pm »

Why not provide cybernetic implants to the gerneral population after the test with the mavens?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 30, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »

That is the idea, but I don't to the extent that the mavens are implanted. They are sitting on the fence between biological and robot at the moment. Plus keeping it a privelege puts people in out pockets, the mavenism I mean.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 30, 2012, 05:26:02 pm »

You know, whenever I hear 'Maven', I keep thinking of Palace Maven Spenser, from Pokemon Emerald's Battle Frontier. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing- I never really saw much of Spenser. Was always too busy beating up Tucker and Brandon (and inwardly drooling over Lucy and Anabel). <<;

EDIT: To make this thing actually on topic- I agree with Gotdamnmiracle. Mavenism should be a privilege. That way, people will be too busy wanting to be a Maven to really understand what Mavenism is all about- trading a bit of your brainspace and a lot of your privacy for superhuman capabilities and the ability to communicate with the Master Control Pro- I mean, the shipboard AI (the AI is still on the ship, right?) as well as other Mavens. At least, we should be able to communicate with other Mavens as well. I'm not too keen on the whole secrecy deal thing. That makes it seem like there's something wrong with it- people might get suspicious of us. Even if we get permission, they'll only be suspicious of both us and the government. We should make a petition, making it seem as attractive as possible by emphasizing the myriad advantages and the fact that we'll have no (direct) control over the (volunteer) humans, and that the humans can say yes or no to accepting a certain subroutine.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:33:31 pm by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 30, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »

The xenoarcheological outpost attracts roughly 50 volunteers, who excitedly set up a thriving base on the new planet over the next two months. While it contains environmentally stable capsules for living, the volunteers quickly establish (thanks to one brave scientist) that external living is easily doable without breathing apparatuses. Small huts are set up outside the capsules, and a vegetable garden using stocks from the ship of soil and plants is set up (in a greenhouse to prevent cross-contamination). The outpost even has a mascot, a particularly affectionate Giant Bee. His name is Gomer. He is well-loved by all.

A mission is sent out to one of the temperature maintenance stations that is kicking up truly tremendous amounts of water vapor into the atmosphere. After a few days probing around the outside, an attempt is made to enter through what appears to be a maintenance hatch. All hell breaks loose. The communications from the group are incredibly unclear, garbled, and confusing. Satellite images fail to offer high enough resolution. Something loud and high-pitched is heard on the tapes, screams are heard, and then the feed dies. There are no survivors, and no one volunteers to return. Fifteen people perish, in all, although they are mourned as brave volunteers in Aries and Gaia alike. A low level of panic begins to run through Gaia, but they manage to keep it to a minimum.

When the archives are examined again, the same corruption that thwarted earlier attempts to find information about the system and the mission rears its ugly head. This issue seems to be intractable.

The "Moonies," as they seem to be called affectionately by subroutines and colonists alike, are contacted regarding Gaia and the beings that transformed it. They reply thusly: "They have been gone for many [ages or centuries]. They did not [talk or contact] like you do. We [know or tell] no more."

On Aquarius, some progress is made in speaking with the Avians. One tribe seems to be congregating around the Contact Center, and they are picking up the sign language quickly. Within the next few months, a dialogue of some type may be possible. No new insight is gleaned yet, however, as the language is still in its infancy.

The Maven program bubbles up from the depths of the subroutines, and the general is consulted. He seems to be intrigued, and agrees to circulate the program amongst his top soldiers and officers to see if there are any volunteers. After a few weeks, an initial class of 10 Pre-Mavens are selected (7 soldiers, 3 officers).

Neurological implants are surgically inserted to allow them to begin to network together, as this is seen as the most difficult technical issue to master. The surgeries go fine, but the testing phase is... catastrophic. The ability to communicate almost instantly through the implants seems to overwhelm the brains of the candidates, as too many messages begin to shoot back and forth (including things like impulses from their autonomic nervous systems), and they begin to seizure and hemorrhage almost immediately. Five of the candidates die outright, and three of the surviving five are clinically insane. One officer and one soldier remain, thankfully intact physically and mentally after a quick-acting subroutine puts in a program that filters out all non-conscious thoughts from transmission.

On a somber note, the last Pre-Maven to pass away signifies the 100th casualty of the mission. A small ceremony is held in the chapel to mark the occasion.

Amidst all of this chaos, satellites observing the system report that an asteroid is heading towards Aquarius. It is not extinction-level, but will still wreak havoc if it is allowed to hit. The next two months will be... busy.

Time lapsed in system: 2 years, 4 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:47:02 pm by Maldevious »

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 30, 2012, 06:44:12 pm »

Send a team of robots to investigate the maintenance station.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 30, 2012, 06:48:46 pm »

Um... well then. With that disaster in mind, should we attempt creating more Pre-Mavens, since we can keep the problem that killed half of our Pre-Mavens and drove three insane from occurring again? Hell, do the two surviving Pre-Mavens still want to become Mavens, let alone anyone else? I'm not sure if this is just a really bad roll of the dice, or if Maldevious is not-so-subtly telling us that no, we aren't allowed to influence things directly, dammit.

Ninja'd:
Send a team of robots to investigate the maintenance station.

This, but do it cautiously. It seems like there's something there that's extremely dangerous. We don't want to accidentally release something we don't want released. That said, we also don't want it to get out while we're unprepared, so we can't afford to leave it alone.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 30, 2012, 06:59:30 pm »

Alright, two Mavens!  A triumph for science!  On to the next stage of enhancements!

Also, we should probably redirect that asteroid so it doesn't hit Aquarius.  We've done enough damage to that planet, its the least we could do.  When is it expected to hit?  If we have time, I'd suggest using a mass driver that mines chunks of the asteroid and hurls them in the opposite direction of the way we want it to go, thus propelling the asteroid using its own mass as propellent and solar power as the power source (Like so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid-impact_avoidance#Mass_driver)

Or we could use our little fleet to pound it into rubble small enough to burn up in the atmosphere.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 117