No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360396 times)

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #885 on: March 30, 2012, 01:09:15 pm »

^To be specific carbon nanotubes found in a specific type of rare spider are better than kevlar and very durable. But if we were to say use our nanofabrication plant to make DIAMOND nanotubes in very thick layers to form a armor of some sort for shocktroops then it would be much more feasible.

>:Scan for the most military applicable citizens and "enlist" them for our experiments
>:Outfit said shocktroops with diamond armor

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 30, 2012, 01:19:08 pm »

diamonds and nanotubes are 2 different forms of the same element. you can't make diamonds without removing the cylindrical structure of the nanotubes. we can still just make diamond armor though
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 30, 2012, 01:30:29 pm »

diamonds and nanotubes are 2 different forms of the same element. you can't make diamonds without removing the cylindrical structure of the nanotubes. we can still just make diamond armor though
Diamonds and Nanotubes, while both made of carbon, don't share the same molecular structure. The spider structures is probably an other type of nanotubings, but I'm sure we can do better.

Basically, since diamond is made out of carbon, we can just make diamonds for wood or humans or such stuff.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 30, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »

FUNFACT, if we were to find granite or a granite similar material we could re-arrange it with the nanofab to make diamonds.

Nope. Diamond is carbon based. Granite is mostly silicate. We would have an easier time making it out of dirt, or a twinkie. Diamond is the crystalline structure of the carbon atom the nanotubes are a separate form, tubular.

I prefer the tubes specifically because of how rigid diamond is. If you drop a diamond ring the likely hood of it shattering is low because of it's little weight and fairly stable build. When you start trying to make stranger facets (like that of a human) the likely hood of it shattering rises exponentially. Carbon nanotubes are strong, flexible, and electricity proof while not shattering at all.

Let's make it voluntary. Nobody should be forced into anything.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:48:21 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 30, 2012, 01:54:18 pm »

Diamond armor would probably be more deadly if the person got hit with kinetic weapons (bullets). Kevlar is layers (and layers and layers) of cloth and it is significantly more effective than a steel plate. Have you ever hit a metal bar against the ground? The energy rattles up the object, into your hands, and messes your shit up. Imagine that with the force of a bullet, straight in your organs and bones. Can you say meat smoothie?

Plus, diamond isn't very ductile so it will completely shatter with one bullet and mess you up badly. Not the best armor despite what you would think. It's the same reason nobody makes swords out of titanium or tungsten (that and smelting and sharpening difficulties, huge hassle, little benefit).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:56:33 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 30, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »

The job of a modern armor isn't stop a bullet. They need to absorb the kinetic energy of the bullet, render it useless.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 30, 2012, 02:01:34 pm »

The job of a modern armor isn't stop a bullet. They need to absorb the kinetic energy of the bullet, render it useless.

Semantics. You get where I'm coming from though. Diamond would not do that. At all.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 30, 2012, 02:04:42 pm »

Not at all, no.  :P

Oh, we can also make the humans get data stores straight in their brain!
They would have memory cards!

:P

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:43 pm »

I think we should pose it as more of a privilege. Like the people you don't see very often but they do come down to the human world and talk to them every now and then. We should be able to commune with the mavens (or whatever you want to call the cyborg humans) Only offer it to a couple people at a time. And a couple avians too. They will be the arbiters of their race.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 30, 2012, 02:12:35 pm »

Also for the future, since metals and junk are heavy and we use them in mass, we might want to research foreign alloys or fabricated materials (like wellstone, if you ever read collapsium.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:14:19 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 30, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

Make a prototype for an interceptor!

P-01 "Dragon"

An interceptor of the first generation. It can fly fast, it can fly in space!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 30, 2012, 02:33:15 pm »

I think we should also build laser point defenses, now that we're talking about it.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 30, 2012, 03:04:31 pm »

Afterthought,
                          maybe the subroutines could store themselves in a Maven and improve their thinking ability and make suggestions (a way to affect and experience a war directly or riot or whatever). The twist is a subroutine in a Maven cannot speak to or affect the main AIs actions unless there is a direct link (comms transmitter) to travel along and be downloaded into the main computer once again. There should be a little black box in the Maven that immediately transmits directly to the AI and shoots the subroutines (and possibly the Mavens conciseness) back up to the main computer upon the death of the Mavens body. This should be a rarity though, we are going to make these guys super D00Ds.

I also have some ideas for biosuits for our Maven and more important troops (or sub-Mavens). I call them Bittlesuits or NewSkins. I'll post them next turn. We are a little heavy on suggestions at the moment.

We should also learn how to set up these direct comms so that the Mavens could relay info and trade subroutines without having to be on the ship in person.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:22:34 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 30, 2012, 03:20:22 pm »

So I think I have to post a turn this evening, just to get through some of these suggestions. Let me make sure I have this right: you want to build cyborg-style biological robots that have direct uplinks to the AI and super weapons and armor? Am I reading this right?

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 30, 2012, 03:29:49 pm »

So I think I have to post a turn this evening, just to get through some of these suggestions. Let me make sure I have this right: you want to build cyborg-style biological robots that have direct uplinks to the AI and super weapons and armor? Am I reading this right?

More like open up the ability and voluntary service to select individuals to have their best features enhanced (quicker reflexes and stronger muscles with plastic muscle, enhanced skin and bones with carbon nanotubes, enhanced vision (different types, EM, UV, colorless, movement enhanced (showing movement at different speeds as different colors in the spectrum, highlighting moving things), etc), the ability to direct link, enhanced thinking ability, storage device for subroutines (maybe only two subroutines could fit in a Maven at once), nanobots in the bloodstream, all easily modifiable equipment.

The super suit with weapons and stuff will come next turn. For right now we really only want a way to make stronger, quicker, smarter, more durable and disease resistant humans and avians.

I will whip up a mega post with the Bittlesuits next turn.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 117