No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360350 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #825 on: March 27, 2012, 10:40:21 am »

Sooo what are we going to research? Don't want it to stagnate this turn.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:00 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

If we can improve this, make it more accurate and all, it would be worlds better. A lot less resources used to get stuff from place to place and it might even make our wacky teslaslingers more useful.

TL;DR: it is directing current without the need or wires, and using just a transmitter and receiver. Think about it, no powerlines, no wire mess, no over use of metals. The more we can improve this, the more vastly economical we become with our resources.
Were researching this

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:43 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

If we can improve this, make it more accurate and all, it would be worlds better. A lot less resources used to get stuff from place to place and it might even make our wacky teslaslingers more useful.

TL;DR: it is directing current without the need or wires, and using just a transmitter and receiver. Think about it, no powerlines, no wire mess, no over use of metals. The more we can improve this, the more vastly economical we become with our resources.
Were researching this

Sorry. That wasn't immediately clear.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:54 am »

Also, we look at Gaia closely. One full month of observation with the Telescope and one of observing using probe. This should include surface archaeology or pinging a few miles under the surface for unusual materials, or unusual concentrations of materials. Also, I think we should work on a field that drains away at or overloads electronic devices, once we develop that wireless energy transfer technology.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:29 am »

Also, we look at Gaia closely. One full month of observation with the Telescope and one of observing using probe. This should include surface archaeology or pinging a few miles under the surface for unusual materials, or unusual concentrations of materials. Also, I think we should work on a field that drains away at or overloads electronic devices, once we develop that wireless energy transfer technology.
That's called an Electromagnetic field, and often used in pulses.
[/Mebeingannoying]

No in fact lots of kinds of radiation can be used. I know radioactvity does the trick, and others may help to.

What I think would be best for that is a weapon that uses magnets to propel positive ions( for discharging) or negative ions( overloading) towards a target.  These ion streams can also be used to positively or negatively charge a target, and therefore make the tesla beam more usefull.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »

That's called an Electromagnetic field, and often used in pulses.
[/Mebeingannoying]

No in fact lots of kinds of radiation can be used. I know radioactvity does the trick, and others may help to.

What I think would be best for that is a weapon that uses magnets to propel positive ions( for discharging) or negative ions( overloading) towards a target.  These ion streams can also be used to positively or negatively charge a target, and therefore make the tesla beam more usefull.
Well what really makes the radioactivity work is that the radioactive particles will knock electrons out of orbit around atoms and send them flying all over the place, harming things that are sensistive to either too many electrons or too little, like electronics. The best way to generate an EMP with our technology is a Nuclear-Based EMP, where the gamma radiation from the nuclear explosion knocks electrons out of thier orbit around atoms in the atmosphere, a portion of which of course come hurtling back toward the planet, and hit your electronics and ruin your day.

We would need a source of electrons for discharging, should just be a gas with a lot of electrons that is subjected to heavy radioactive bombardment, not a solid or liquid as that would increase the chance of the material reabsorbing the electrons as they are progressing toward the target. Then just have the nanobots construct a wall with holes that are a smaller than the atom but still much larger than the electron in order to contain the gas and make sure you don't propel that towards your enemies, instead of the electrons. What the device would look like would likely just be a large inclosed area at the back to contain the gas and power sources, then a barrel protruding out of the container, lined with magnets that would switch polarity much like in a railgun, in order to propel the electrons out of the barrel, and then between the barrel and the container a wall that would have the properties listed above. The gas should also be electricaly charged in order to increase the avalibility of electrons to shoot.

You would need REALLY powerful magnet to drain electrons from an object faraway though. It likely wouldn't be effective in any sort of combat, even though it sounds very cool, because the other combatant would simply blow you up before you got close enough to use it.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 27, 2012, 06:58:17 pm »

I was actually thinking of a device that would shut down ships as they passed through. Even if it is a temporary effect, it will still give us an advantage in the realm of time.
Side note:
Is there an asteriod belt or something seperating us from the Luner Republic?
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 27, 2012, 08:13:11 pm »

OOC: Feeling under the weather. Will post when feeling better.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:02 am »

After the initial enthusiasm about Gaia, a sense of skepticism begins to permeate both the AI and the human colonists. Extensive research of the planet is ordered, and results begins to come back as probes are launched and scans are done.

Some traces of previous terraforming or civilization are found: there are no abandoned urban areas, no clearly demarcated zones of deforestation, but a probe does turn up several stations that seem to be designed to cool the planet by transforming sea water into cloud cover. Further examination of the species on the ground reveals an intense lack of competition among the animals: evolution seems to have progressed quite slowly on the planet, leaving the dominant specimens still quite far from intelligence. There is also some evidence of genetic modification, most likely to reduce intelligence of the native species.

The magnetic field on the planet is uniquely strong, and seems to shield much of the solar flare activity away from the biosphere. This is combined with an unusually thick cloud layer (most likely due to the industrial equipment), which manages to deflect an incredible amount of heat away from the planet. The resulting temperatures are high, and rain is more prevalent, but still well within the range of tolerable for humanity (think tropical rainforest for the most part).

The microbial and viral population on the planet are nothing to be worried about, either. In fact, it seems that most of the specimens are analogous to simple germs that existed on Earth a long time ago.

The captain is of the opinion that either this planet is being terraformed for someone in the future, or it was in the past. However, finders tend to be keepers, so he believes that it should be exploited as soon as possible. "Doesn't make sense to have all of our eggs in one basket." The Grand Parliament also demands that an outpost be set up there, at a minimum.

Attempts to communicate with the aliens are actually quite successful: the quantum computer has made significant progress in their language since the initial contact. A message is sent to them, asking about the first planet in the system. This is the response given. "Many ages ago, other star visitors came to this system. They began to [change] the first planet. They suddenly [left or died]."

Although the final sentence is disturbing, it seems to confirm that the planet was terraformed a long time ago, but it is unclear whether the original "owners" are dead or simply gone.

Contact with the Avians has another step forward as well, as a research team on Aquarius begins to communicate via sign language with some of the birds. It is still too simple for complex talk, but single words are easily understood between the species now.

A breakthrough in research leads to the science of aerotransmission being unlocked. Power can now be wirelessly transferred through the air with ease. The uses of this technology may still be up in the air, but it is definitely possible now.

After a concerted effort, volcanism starts back up on Aries. Gases begin to enter the atmosphere, and the temperature begins to raise slightly. The volcanic area is on the other side of the planet, thankfully, and the impact on the colony is minimal: mostly some ash.

Time lapsed in system: 2 years, 2 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 28, 2012, 06:14:24 am »

A breakthrough in research leads to the science of aerotransmission being unlocked. Power can now be wirelessly transferred through the air with ease. The uses of this technology may still be up in the air, but it is definitely possible now.

...I see what you did, there. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:34 am »

Give them their outpost. but lets make it a xenoarchaeological outpost. We must find out what happened to them. . . . . Its disconcerting that there are barely any traces left of the unknown species. Also, we should see if we can use what information we sent, and received from the Lunars to make a dictionary to speak their language. Or at least write it.

Does anyone else find it odd that others came, and left without leaving a colony or more. . . . visible evidence behind? Lets look at the facts:
. . .there are no abandoned urban areas, no clearly demarcated zones of deforestation
Quote from: Zomara's Input/opinions
This points, to me, to the race spending most of its time in ships or maybe underground. Or maybe they wanted to be one with nature, but why leave your home planet for that? Or terraform one, for that mater.

. . .several stations that seem to be designed to cool the planet by transforming sea water into cloud cover.

But this says that they are a surface species by nature. They were planning to inhabit the surface, if not already doing so. Also, it points to the fact that that planet was not their native home, of curse.

Further examination of the species on the ground reveals an intense lack of competition among the animals: evolution seems to have progressed quite slowly on the planet, leaving the dominant specimens still quite far from intelligence. There is also some evidence of genetic modification, most likely to reduce intelligence of the native species.

Genetic modification is quite simple. We have been doing it to canines Long before we even understood the concept of genes, but the way that it is mentioned leads me to believe they had genetic manipulative abilities similar to or more advanced than ours. That means that they must have had space travel, which means they probably had weaponry technology also. I mention that for the sake of finding and reverse-engineering what they have for our benefit.

The magnetic field on the planet is uniquely strong, and seems to shield much of the solar flare activity away from the biosphere. This is combined with an unusually thick cloud layer (most likely due to the industrial equipment), which manages to deflect an incredible amount of heat away from the planet. The resulting temperatures are high, and rain is more prevalent, but still well within the range of tolerable for humanity (think tropical rainforest for the most part).
This tells me that they are/were similar to us. . . How much so. . . . I don't know.

The microbial and viral population on the planet are nothing to be worried about, either. In fact, it seems that most of the specimens are analogous to simple germs that existed on Earth a long time ago.
That means the people we send there might be able to walk on the surface of the planet withough technological aid. I would still reccomend against it, though.

. . ."Many ages ago, other star visitors came to this system. They began to [change] the first planet. They suddenly [left or died]."
I would have seen the leaving as a viable reason. Many populations move from one place to another here on earth. Once they use up all their necessary resources, that is. Or to escape a failing situation, such as an aggressive species.

My final conclusion. No matter what the situation, the past inhibitors did not have the opportunity to settle down. In fact, I think that we may have lasted longer then them. Also, if there was a battle, there would be scraps. If they left, there is something missing from here that was there before, but since they seem to prefer environments similar to ours, I doubt that, because they would probably want what we now are using, such as metals and uranium. That, though, would mean that they came without the intention of staying long term. Terraforming is a long term project.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »

Silly aliens trying to fool us, our combined baytwelvian power allows us to see through any deception.

Do what the pony said btu I also want tactical scans of this system (proposed name is now Olympus mons for my steampunk mars addiction) and ships designed to combat a fleet if we have to.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »

Yeah, I saw what he did there too.

Here's my take on what happened to the aliens on the first planet. If they dwelled underground then we would expect to find limited underground habitations, but if they did live underground why terrafrom the surface, wouldn't they have just terraformed the underground? No whatever species this was certaintly lived above ground in a planet with a nitrogen atmosphere with quantities of oxygen high enough to sustain human resperation, at the very least. These were humans, or much more likely an other species, based off the description. We can't say that the species itself was all too similiar to humanity, but it's home world should have been  incredibly similiar to our's, although this is likely not it, but if they need the same conditions we do then we must have developed under the same conditions.

I don't think they left voluntarily, in that case we would expect them to have scavenged the infrastructure that mainatians the planet now before they left, if they left it must have been suddenly. They could have been killed in the process of terraforming the planet, or afterwards, but the scenerio of them being in the process of terraforming is more likely. Any war would have caused substantial damage if they had been living on the planet, and if they left suddenly there should be substaintail archelogical remains if they had begun settling down for any amount of time, due to the law of exponential growth they would have quickly filled the surface with tier cities. What is the most likely then is that they were in the process of terraforming the planet, and had set up automatic machinery in order to carry it out largely without thier intervention, and then thier enemies arrived. Thier enemies drove them out of the system but came from a substaintally diffrent home world from both us and that species so they considered that world undesirable, so they then abandoned the automatic machinery and left.  Or the colony was very small at the time and the aliens destroyed them and left the machinery intact, no sense in wasting ammo when all your enemies are dead.

They also could have lived in the sea, and then the evidence of thier habitation would be largely underwater, but I am sure they woul dhave left soem traces of activity on the land, just as we do in the sea. Also underwater habitations could likely be seen from space too. Oh and if they ahd used up all the resources we similarly would have expected them to dismantle the infrastructure, in order to recover resources. Oh and yeah it's totally possible that thier lifestyle was entirely eco friendly and possibly largely nomadic and in harmony with nature, though I doubt it.

* I agree with Zombara's suggestion that for now we should establish only a xenoachealogical station on the planet, but the colonists will surely want to go there eventually so inform them that if the xenoachealogicalists givve the all clear we will resettle them. This will make the colonists happy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:24:49 pm by Mr. Palau »
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 28, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »

Meinfreunde, you were mor or less ninja'd by zamara zee pony. He pretty much had the same explanation.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:35 pm »

Who said they ever arrived. Since terraforming is such a long term progress, it is best to send the terraforming drones first, possibly manned. Maybe the terraforming fleet arrived, terraformed the planet, and then noticed the mainfleet wasn't arriving, or something else and they left. Hell, maybe we send those drones, I doubt the aliens could make the difference between robots and other lifeforms, and we ended up here with corrupted memories.

Thinking of it, for a colony ship we have/had barily any terraforming equiptment.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 117