No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360201 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #690 on: March 13, 2012, 05:22:19 pm »

Anyway, peace and trade are leading to knowledge and prosperity.

This is true. Extremely true. War really does very little. Look at japan, they no longer have a military save for a coast guard and national guard, so they don't spend money buying guns, bullets, and things to put the guns on to shoot the bullets, and they have become one of the most technologically advanced trade cultures in the world. They could easily purchase countries, especially now that the world is slipping into an (vast) economic downturn, except them.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 13, 2012, 05:29:17 pm »

> Make the quantum computer work a reply saying we will comply. Don't send anymore because we don't know the language and could come out sounding dangerous or misunderstood. Peace may be synonymous with death in their language, after all.

>Have the quantum computer try and collect and crack the whole language (or at least enough to make contact without a chance of faux pa). It will take a while.

>Make the floating platform for more comprehensive work with the avians (discussion, communication, sign language learning, etc.) I think human contact would be the best option here. Eventually, I hope to integrate them into our cities and populaces. The quicker they learn how to deal with people the better.

>Check status of UV light and the UVers. Collate possible solutions UV unintelligibility. (I could use some more direction here.)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 13, 2012, 05:41:39 pm »

War really does very little.
Well... thats not entirely true.  War really is the best motivation for innovation.  WWII alone gave us radar, nuclear energy, off-road vehicles, the jet engine, rockets, massive advances in computer technology, etc.

But, anyway, peace is probably the best idea for now.  They probably have millions or billions of people, compared to our 3000 people plus some robots.  Even if their technology is far less advanced then ours, they would probably overwhelm us easily with their sheer numbers.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:46 pm »

This is true. Extremely true. War really does very little. Look at japan, they no longer have a military save for a coast guard and national guard, so they don't spend money buying guns, bullets, and things to put the guns on to shoot the bullets, and they have become one of the most technologically advanced trade cultures in the world. They could easily purchase countries, especially now that the world is slipping into an (vast) economic downturn, except them.

I don't usually do this on forums but I just have to point out that the point about the economy of Japan being great is not correct, at all. Japan's economy tanked in the 90's and while it has recovered since PPP (purchesing power parity) GDP per capita is still only approximitly 70% of that of the USA, the biggest war-monger on the planet. What's really bad is there are so many better examples you could have picked like switzerland or denmark, which are mcuh richer than the US and have even less of a military then the Japanese.

If your definition of a strong economy is economic growth, then over time the US is still better than Japan, thanks to thier lost decade.

(sorry that was off topic)

Well... thats not entirely true.  War really is the best motivation for innovation.  WWII alone gave us radar, nuclear energy, off-road vehicles, the jet engine, rockets, massive advances in computer technology, etc.

But, anyway, peace is probably the best idea for now.  They probably have millions or billions of people, compared to our 3000 people plus some robots.  Even if their technology is far less advanced then ours, they would probably overwhelm us easily with their sheer numbers.

That is also true, war is the best technological motivater that man has ever known. Medicine and Surgery were both advanced on the battle field, got to keep the men alive to fight another day. There are clotting drugs that will allow hemophillacs (people who lack the ability to form clots in thier blood) to live a normal life, that were developed as a response to soldiers bleeding to death on the battle field. Hell the internet was invented by CERN, which is only concerned with the potential millitary application of technology.

For now no war with the aliens though, we don't know how strong they are and we could get our ass kicked.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:36 pm »

I don't usually do this on forums but I just have to point out that the point about the economy of Japan being great is not correct, at all. Japan's economy tanked in the 90's and while it has recovered since PPP (purchesing power parity) GDP per capita is still only approximitly 70% of that of the USA, the biggest war-monger on the planet. What's really bad is there are so many better examples you could have picked like switzerland or denmark, which are mcuh richer than the US and have even less of a military then the Japanese.

If your definition of a strong economy is economic growth, then over time the US is still better than Japan, thanks to thier lost decade.

That is also true, war is the best technological motivater that man has ever known. Medicine and Surgery were both advanced on the battle field, got to keep the men alive to fight another day. There are clotting drugs that will allow hemophillacs (people who lack the ability to form clots in thier blood) to live a normal life, that were developed as a response to soldiers bleeding to death on the battle field. Hell the internet was invented by CERN, which is only concerned with the potential millitary application of technology.

For now no war with the aliens though, we don't know how strong they are and we could get our ass kicked.

The US? You mean the empire founded on low hanging and unpicked fruit? What a surprise!

And yes I know it is a technological motivater, World War 2 was like a goldmine of innovation, the thing is We are inventing space lasers in months and have near unlimited resources at our fingertips. I don't think we need to rely on trying to not get blown up to get things moving. Do you really think that a war would make our AI supercomputer run any faster? Because all of those inventions you lined out were products of human ingenuity. Not a super computer, always working at peak effeciancy for the best of humanity. It just seems like your whole second paragraph is not relevant at all.

The US crushed Japan. Usually the victor does do better in a war.

Plus Switzerland is purely defensive as well. They are a completely mountain country, like a fortress, the reason they do so well is because they are landlocked and needn't worry about invasion. Ever. you don't think their money can go elsewhere?

Japan was the first off the top of my head. Have you looked at a graph of Japans economic growth compared to Americas? The difference is a steep upshoot compared to a steady climb.

Again, they remain afloat (even though hit by the stock drop, like every nation.) when the US and many of Europe's countries were hit very hard by the recent decline. Why is that? (they weren't involved in toxic bonds and trading toward the future maybe?)

(Okay. I won't argue this. If you reply to this, I won't make a response, seeing as it's all off topic)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:57:40 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »

*Cough* (Coming in a close second behind China the second largest world power, which is behind America and the entire European Union? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal) )*cough*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #696 on: March 13, 2012, 09:33:39 pm »

(I never know what's going on in forum games, but a report said there might be a derail developing here, so I'd appreciate it if people kept things on track)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:55 pm »

(Oy. Yeah. Quelled.)

Okay so are we all alright with the EDE setup? Here it is:

> Make the quantum computer work a reply saying we will comply. Don't send anymore because we don't know the language and could come out sounding dangerous or misunderstood. Peace may be synonymous with death in their language, after all.

>Have the quantum computer try and collect and crack the whole language (or at least enough to make contact without a chance of faux pa). It will take a while.

>Make the floating platform for more comprehensive work with the avians (discussion, communication, sign language learning, etc.)

>Check status of UV light and the UVers.

I'll turn it a pretty shade of orange when we get some okays.

(Sorry for the almost derail, fellas. 'M only human.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:49:01 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:07 am »

I'll be posting the turn tonight, so make sure you get any final suggestions in.

Also, in terms of derailment, make sure you keep the discussion in context of the colony. War vs. trade is great to talk about, as long as we stay grounded in the reality of the game. You can even use real life examples, but try to relate them back to what you'd like to do with the colony.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:17 am »

New collection of suggestions

>Make the floating flying platform for more comprehensive work with the avians (discussion, communication, sign language learning, etc.)
> Expand industrial base( Grasshopper farming)

>Check status of UV light and the UVers

> Tech ( This is just a stuff that might be useful list, sorted vaguely on importance)
       -!Strong magnetic generators( For magnetic anti rad fields, Microparticle shields bullet deflection, and cloacking ships) ( This magnetic field thingy can also protect against radiation ,so it  might be useful if we're going to nuke the planet.!
     - !DNA Sequencing, coding/ decoding installations complete with cloning pods. There seem to be a lot of genetic engineering suggestion. This will make that possible.!
   - !Deep sea/land drilling Installation and technology ! ( We want to be able to start vulcanism on Aries)
     - Upgraded Quantum Computing centrae. Alien language decoding, genetic engineering and weather/geology predictions all take up lost of CPU.
     -Design and build a giant space Telescope( Cheap, also we can use it to look at moons) It should have a modular design. Ie we can use the individual lenses as laser if we want to.
     -Continue with the improbable and probably impossible Tesla beam. Also work on Laser point defense systems
     -Design electrochemical ammunition for conventional weapons.(Bullets spontanously produces a strong electroshock upon hitting something)
     -Work on nuclear fusion. ( We have giant laser lenses, this should be trivial)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:34:40 am by 10ebbor10 »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:21 am »

> Start grasshopper farming.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 14, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »

We should get schooling systems prepared for the new wave of children coming in. learning from watching and innovating from the unknown are two different things, and we will need the human ability of innovation for our projects.

I am personal thinking of a short (60 days with maybe one or two week brakes in between) school term per semester, where the students will stay in the school and learn the set out curriculum. 4 semesters per earth year, and the rest of the days will be breaks. Students live on school grounds to lessen the distractions, and then can go home to their families on break. I personally have no idea of what to do for the curriculum, but as for how the schooling should take place, basic social knowledge the kindergarten years, basic book knowledge (what we here in America learn in high school) in the elementary and middle school years, and a more exploratory (learn the basic of any specific [e.i.archaeology, psychiatry, architectural science] skill you chose) system for the high school years. Secondary schooling from there should involve going deeper into the field of choice only, meaning that those going into botany should only take classes relevant to botany.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 14, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »

Since we are an A.I., I think the shooling program should be as digitalised as possible. If they learn to work with computers from a young age, they won't have any superstitions later. Include an animated teacher thingy and fun games.( WHich teachs things).

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 14, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »

> Start grasshopper farming.

Yes! I think this would be a good idea in real life so in game I'm all for it.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 14, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »

Digital teachers would be also cheaper than normal teachers, would be always motivated and they can't be mobbed! Perfect.

And yes, grasshoppers are an excellent source for proteins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 117