No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360124 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »

We don't have algae eating anything as of yet. But if we manage to find something that will only eat the algae, we don't need to give it a natural predator . The algae eater population would grow so much that it eventually eats all the algae and goes extinct because of starvation.

We don't have a ship filled with every animal that lived on earth? Because I seem to remember some algae eating fish that live in the ocean. And if there are carnivores they will eat them. Both problems solved. I don't understand why it is so scary. Just look at the cycle of predators and producers. It will definately not mess up the ecosystem.
We do have those, but it's unsure they would survive. I 'm suprised the algae did. You can't simply throw 2 ecosystems toghether and hope they would work.
The chance that the carnivores can digest the introduced is almost nul.
That's also why none of native herbivores can digest the algae.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 07, 2012, 02:04:23 pm »

Good, Algae works this way : Water + light = more algae

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 07, 2012, 02:12:11 pm »

We don't have algae eating anything as of yet. But if we manage to find something that will only eat the algae, we don't need to give it a natural predator . The algae eater population would grow so much that it eventually eats all the algae and goes extinct because of starvation.

We don't have a ship filled with every animal that lived on earth? Because I seem to remember some algae eating fish that live in the ocean. And if there are carnivores they will eat them. Both problems solved. I don't understand why it is so scary. Just look at the cycle of predators and producers. It will definately not mess up the ecosystem.
We do have those, but it's unsure they would survive. I 'm suprised the algae did. You can't simply throw 2 ecosystems toghether and hope they would work.
The chance that the carnivores can digest the introduced is almost nul.
That's also why none of native herbivores can digest the algae.

Again, we won't know until we try. Whip up a trout (obviously not a trout but a fish that can eat algae), tag it, let's see if these guys can digest the porteins.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 07, 2012, 02:15:15 pm »

Good, Algae works this way : Water + light = more algae
Water+Light+Nutrients

Also, I thought about the introduce natural predator thingy. Turns out it has no drawbacks( The algae didn't have any drawback either though)

Situation A: Introduced species is vulnerable to existing bacteria and dies( No harm done)
Situation B: Survive

Situation
A: Predators can eat it ( Ecosystem stable)
B: Predators can't eat it. Pop explodes, algae run out and then the pop collapses because of starvation.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:25 pm »

Sounds resonable but that only works if it only eates the algea, nothing else. At all. Ever. I don't know if we can realy garenty that.

Edit: sorry to be so obstructive but I just what to make sure we don't wind up with an even biger disaster on our hands.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:53:42 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 07, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »

Sounds resonable but that only works if it only eates the algea, nothing else. At all. Ever. I don't know if we can realy garenty that.

Edit: sorry to be so obstructive but I just what to make sure we don't wind up with an even biger disaster on our hands.

No problem. It's good, that you're worried.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:43 pm »

Plan on posting tonight. Anyone want to do a summary of the consensus on the algae issue? And any other issues? Been reading along, but I'm not sure I know what the general feeling is. Thanks.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 07, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »

We may winde up being stuck with the algea
>crunch moon alian data with quantum computer
>Engineer one or more species of the aquarian fish to eat the algea, consult teraformer before hand (?)
>avoid geting involved in human politics

>Stay out of politic. It's not our matter, we're just a giant pocket calculator.
But! When riots happening, beat the shit out of 'em with our policebots.

> Tech ( This is just a stuff that might be useful list, sorted vaguely on importance)
            -!Strong magnetic generators( For magnetic anti rad fields, Microparticle shields bullet deflection, and cloacking ships) ( This magnetic field thingy can also protect against radiation ,so it  might be useful if we're going to nuke the planet.!
     - !DNA Sequencing, coding/ decoding installations complete with cloning pods. There seem to be a lot of genetic engineering suggestion. This will make that possible.!
      - !Deep sea/land drilling Installation and technology !

-Design and build a giant space Telescope( Cheap, also we can use it to look at moons) It should have a modular design. Ie we can use the individual lenses as laser if we want to.
     -Continue with the improbable and probably impossible Tesla beam. Also work on Laser point defense systems
     -Design electrochemical ammunition for conventional weapons.(Bullets spontanously produces a strong electroshock upon hitting something)
     -Work on nuclear fusion. ( We have giant laser lenses, this should be trivial)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:45 pm »

Bold stuff is !!IMPORTANT!!.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 07, 2012, 03:50:24 pm »

There are two or three main camps on the algea ishue. I say that we should try to engeneer a local creature to eat it, Gotdamnmiracle thinks we should introduce a species off the ship. Other options include nuking it from orbit ( after geting genetic samples from a representitive number of species), killing it with an oil slick then burning the slick, and relesing a nanobot plauge.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 07, 2012, 03:51:38 pm »

Fuck, forgot the algae issue...

Well, kopout told it in a nutshell  :P

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 07, 2012, 03:52:12 pm »

I hate to suggest this but; a poll, maybe?
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 07, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »

Fuck no!
We just try EVERYTHING!  :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:48 pm »

We may winde up being stuck with the algea
>crunch moon alian data with quantum computer
>avoid geting involved in human politics

>Stay out of politic. It's not our matter, we're just a giant pocket calculator.
But! When riots happening, beat the shit out of 'em with our policebots.Only to ensure no further human harm is done. Also ,seize all videos of it and other stuff as proof

> Tech ( This is just a stuff that might be useful list, sorted vaguely on importance)
            -!Strong magnetic generators( For magnetic anti rad fields, Microparticle shields bullet deflection, and cloacking ships) ( This magnetic field thingy can also protect against radiation ,so it  might be useful if we're going to nuke the planet.!
     - !DNA Sequencing, coding/ decoding installations complete with cloning pods. There seem to be a lot of genetic engineering suggestion. This will make that possible.!
      - !Deep sea/land drilling Installation and technology !

-Design and build a giant space Telescope( Cheap, also we can use it to look at moons) It should have a modular design. Ie we can use the individual lenses as laser if we want to.
     -Continue with the improbable and probably impossible Tesla beam. Also work on Laser point defense systems
     -Design electrochemical ammunition for conventional weapons.(Bullets spontanously produces a strong electroshock upon hitting something)
     -Work on nuclear fusion. ( We have giant laser lenses, this should be trivial)

So:
-Start engineering local creatures to eat it.
-Search for an introducable creature that only eats these algae/plancton
-Search for oil/clathrate deposists
-Make a nuclear simulation

In all cases: Deploy Nanobots everywhere as automated repair systems:
-Preprogrammed simple/foolproof instructions( With several emergency cut-off and deadmen switches)
         -Software updates have toinstalled via hardware acces
         -Nanobots don't produce self, instead several nanodispencers are attached to crafts
         -Keep away from humans
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:07:49 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 07, 2012, 05:01:07 pm »

New poll regarding the algae issue, will take results into consideration when posting. Will probably give it some time to get a definitive result (hopefully). And thanks for the summary of actions.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 117