No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360076 times)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #555 on: March 06, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »

We can use the green goo.  :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:29 pm »

Just like we can use a living ecosystem on Aquirius. FOr research, experiments and P.R. So the best solution is the recontainment of the algae, preventing them from spreading any further, should everything go wrong, we have an emergency plan ready. A plan that we won't activate ourself, the leading^political person should make the descision and take the worst of the P.R. damage.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 06, 2012, 12:48:15 pm »

Ok, I'm just against the bomb option as an emergency plan. Would it be possible to create another plankton that eats the current one but that dies when we broadcast a specific radio signal?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:35 pm »

Btw.

Let the AI scan all people on the colony, and serach for the one most suitable for leading, intelligence, leadership and so fourth. We donīt have to appoint him/her, but give him/her our support.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »

Ok, I'm just against the bomb option as an emergency plan. Would it be possible to create another plankton that eats the current one but that dies when we broadcast a specific radio signal?
Would be hard. Making placton that eats plancton is easy,but things dieing when you push a remote is hard. Some will probably survive. We could try to create something that ca, eat algae rapidely and nothing else. As soon as they algae are dead it dies from starvation.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

Dump the algae on the first place was a pretty dumb idea.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:10 pm »

Wasn't mine. Actually  I don't know. Anyway, has anyone got any objection against the mass use of nanobots as repair/ Maintenance and production units. The solar laser( and any equipment on the ocean planet actually) seem to deteriorate faster then expected.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:23:55 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 06, 2012, 01:22:41 pm »

Nah, not really.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 06, 2012, 02:03:50 pm »

I support giving the birds domestic-able fish/mammals/whatever, that can eat the algae. :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 06, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »

I just got this idea.Remember the huge beasts that ate our humans ?I think they depend on the birds to have their teeth cleaned in the same way crocodiles have with certain birds.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »

I just got this idea.Remember the huge beasts that ate our humans ?I think they depend on the birds to have their teeth cleaned in the same way crocodiles have with certain birds.
It ate both the birds and the humans, so probably not. Still, it's almost certaij that blowing up all the non-deep see aquatic life will negatively impact the planet. Also I don't think the moon guys will like us nuking half a planet

Even if we are considering the nuke as a last resort, we need to make some preparations.

-Scanning of all non aquatic lifeforms and what niche they fill in the the ecosystem.
-DNA samples/ captive populations of essential( and non essential if we have time and space) animals.
- Create multiple radiation based nukes
- Fire
- Clean up any radioactive clouds.
- Set out the animals.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 06, 2012, 03:42:42 pm »

Good ideas, if it comes down to that. I still say engineering a local creature to eat the algea is our best bet, incorporate it ionto the food web if nothing eles.

On another note, raising the tempature of aries. Burning fosil fule is a good idea in the short term but we have to be carfule, too much and we poison the air. As for long term things I have a few ideas.

> Lower the albedo, make the planet darker so it absorbs more light.
     >Darker plants? It likly gets less light then earth so it would be a good idea to have darker plants anyway, lets just see what the best color would be based on the amount and wavelengths of light the planet receves.
     >Sea ice at the poles insted of land ice? Land ice is more reflective. Not sure how to do this though.
> Build survay robots. solar powered and self repairing, send them out to serch for fault lines and volcanos. We whant to start up volcanisum and hopefuly tectonics asap.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:52:41 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 06, 2012, 03:52:51 pm »

New idea for the algae thing: find oil somewhere below the algae infestation (this is an ocean planet full of life, there will almost certainly be some oil down there) drill into the oil reservoir and leave the pipe open (but have a shutoff valve)  If it works anything like the recent Gulf of Mexico disaster, the oil will pour out and spread out across the surface.  We then shut off the oil spill and light the oil on the surface on fire!  Bye bye algae!

Cons: introducing a rather toxic chemical in place of the algae (it should mostly be burned off, but it will still have adverse effects on the ecosystem for some time... assuming there's any ecosystem left in the algaed area) Also, burning millions of tons of oil will produce an awful lot of pollution.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »

The adverse effects would be minimal despite how it sounds. Burning oil off of the surface is a common form of getting rid of it in the event of a spill. we could also siphon it off or skim it like we were doing.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2012, 05:02:22 pm »

Why not solve biological problem with a biological method? We need to find a crearure that can eat the algae and release it on the planet. We must have some in our bank of animals and plants.

Would screw up the ecosystem too.
We badly screwed it already.  And it's a common way to solve such problems in real world, bring natural enemy
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 117