Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Irrigation post-farm-creation  (Read 2595 times)

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Irrigation post-farm-creation
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:52:00 am »

I have some farms in sand on the first level of my fortress which have been doing pretty well.  However, they're starting to have fertility problems, since I don't have a decent supply of potash (all furnaces are pumping out charcoal right now).  My question, then: will flooding these with some shallow water improve them at all, or is that only useful for a one-time muddying of bare rock to make a farm possible?

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Irrigation post-farm-creation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:36:00 am »

Farms can have fertility problems? I never knew that, wow.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

Well, I can't say for sure they can have fertility problems.  But some crops (and in some cases, all crops for a certain season) are going red and becoming unselectable, so I assumed it was a problem with the soil.  I mean, if you can fertilize a field, it stands to reason choosing to NOT fertilize it would have some effect, right?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:14:00 am »

I get that when the end of the season is nearing. My guess is that if you plant more of that crop, it won't have time to grow before the next season hits.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mwoody450:
<STRONG>Well, I can't say for sure they can have fertility problems.  But some crops (and in some cases, all crops for a certain season) are going red and becoming unselectable, so I assumed it was a problem with the soil.  I mean, if you can fertilize a field, it stands to reason choosing to NOT fertilize it would have some effect, right?</STRONG>

Crops take a certain amount of time to grow, depending on the type. They also only grow in particular seasons, except for year-round crops like plump helmet.
If a crop is redded out in the farm settings, that means it doesn't have enough time to finish growing before a season it cannot grow in starts. So it's not a fertility issue.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

Potash just makes the plants growing there give higher yields. This is nice for making alcohol, since it gives more alcohol per barrel. Otherwise, it's not really necessary.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »

Ahhhh I see, I see, thanks for the info.  I need to rethink my farming schedule, perhaps.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

I'm no longer so sure about what I said; not long ago I saw plump helmet redded out, despite it being able to grow at any time..
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>I'm no longer so sure about what I said; not long ago I saw plump helmet redded out, despite it being able to grow at any time..</STRONG>

were you planting different crops next season? that would have the same effect as entering a season were that plant wont grow

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

...How could I plant different crops NEXT season?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

use a,b,c,d (spring summer autum winter) to set crops for different seasons
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »

Ah. But no, no planning ahead was done.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>I'm no longer so sure about what I said; not long ago I saw plump helmet redded out, despite it being able to grow at any time..</STRONG>

The problem is that it's late winter, and the game doesn't realize that the plants could grow through the new year. If there's less time left in the year than the growing time of the crop, it won't let you plant it, even if it could grow in spring.

Nogert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

I'm sorry, but is there any special button for making the dwarves fertilize the farms? I made tons of potash but the dwarves aren't using it. I tried messing with the farm settings, but that didn't work. Is there a special profession or something?

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

The farm land has to be muddy in order to fertilize it.
Pages: [1] 2