Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sharp stones as throwing weapon  (Read 8988 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sharp stones as throwing weapon
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:41 am »

As we all know we can use knapping to produce sharp stones.

One unsolved queastion (at leats for me) is, however, whether knaping stones only allows you to use them as makeshift knives,
or if it also increases their damage potential as a throwing weapon (compared to normal stones).

Is there anyone who already did experiments in these regards?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp stones as throwing weapon
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:39:27 am »

I dont know anything, but i noticed that you can just as easily throw arrows as if you were a human crossbow.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:49:01 am »

I dont know anything, but i noticed that you can just as easily throw arrows as if you were a human crossbow.

Yep, the problems with arrows or bolts is just, that bandits seem to be your only reliable source for you to get them (unless you are extremly lucky and find a few of them in an imported goods shop), which at the same time bears the danger,  that said bandits use the arros/bolts to turn you into a pincushion (especially as they seem to have no problems to hit your head with their first shot several tiles away),
which makes arrows/bolts far more precious than (sharpened) stones, which you can find everywhere on the ground

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:56:40 am »

Well, you can use sharp stones to butcher things.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:20:53 am »

Well, how do you sharpen a stone?
I know you press x, make, and then sharp rock.
But i am missing something.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:32:25 am »

You have to have a stone in your left hand and one in your right hand.

Knapping turns one of them into a sharp stone (while the other one remains blunt ... it is just the tool to sharpen the first one).
So, to mass produce sharp stones you have to drop (or put into a backpack) the sharpened stone and replace it with another blunt stone (and so on)

As for using them for buthering...
yep, but usually not necessary if you use sharp weapons (like axes/halberds/swords)
or use the dagger that you carry with you in your backpack
(unless the quality level of the tool you use for butchering is important ...
in this case using a *sharpened stone* might, of course, be better than using your main weapon.) 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:12:04 am »

Yep, the problems with arrows or bolts is just, that bandits seem to be your only reliable source for you to get them (unless you are extremly lucky and find a few of them in an imported goods shop), which at the same time bears the danger,  that said bandits use the arros/bolts to turn you into a pincushion (especially as they seem to have no problems to hit your head with their first shot several tiles away),
which makes arrows/bolts far more precious than (sharpened) stones, which you can find everywhere on the ground

1. I have never seen bandits pick up or use the bolts and arrows I've thrown at them.
2. If you haven't run across hundreds of arrows and bolts, you've been doing nothing but fighting night creatures and wild animals. Any given keep, catacomb, or bandit camp/ambush will easily yield 60-90 bolts or arrows at least. I find so many that I only take silver bolts, and don't bother picking them up again, unless I'm far away from everything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:18:43 am »

I usually find a stack of 25 bolts in the first fortress i visit, and then i head for the nearest town, where the dungeons are packed whit them.
Sadly enough, i always die there.
Just got one-shot in the head by a maceman >.> (i dodged right in front of him D: )

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »

Sharp stones are fine throwing weapons. Even the silly ones like chalk or sandstone can still cripple or kill when launched properly. You can kill almost anything with enough patience by sneaking up on it, pelting it with rocks, and knapping up some fresh ones on site as needed.

Go in for the kill once the foe passes out. Make sure all bandits are incapable of standing and all ranged attackers are dead/KOed before mopping up survivors that are clustered together. If you land enough hits to the arteries or lungs they will usually die without a coup-de-grace.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:55:24 pm »

Its painfully obvious that an Iron Spear would make a better projectile than... vomit... but to me it always seems that anything you throw as long as you make contact, causes pretty decent damage. I mean I killed a kobold and used his corpse to smash his allies skulls in with one throw. Now another question is, would a spear have a better chance of hitting/going further than someones trousers?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »

The only problem with knapped stones is that they tend to be kind of heavy (5 lbs per rock), so you can't stock up too many in reserve without killing your speed.  Since you can make them on-the-spot anywhere, however, so long as you have legendary ambusher (and why wouldn't you?) you can continuously restock. 

I honestly find knapped stones not to be the best tool in a fight - I'm basically better off with a bite attack in melee - but as an unlimited ranged weapon, the only better way to inflict plenty of damage while hiding and never really worrying about ammo is to become a necromancer.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »

i use money for throwing which is conveniently the only good use for it as now

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »

One unsolved queastion (at leats for me) is, however, whether knaping stones only allows you to use them as makeshift knives,
or if it also increases their damage potential as a throwing weapon (compared to normal stones).

knapping just applies an edge to the stone.  just about any edged weapon (including real knives) are better for melee.  the stones are better as ranges, as there is a 100% chance the hit will use the edge, rather than some lesser chance, as there is some chance to use any of the damagy types available to a thrown weapon (flat of the blade slap with swords, for example)
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:36 pm »

i use teeth :P
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:46 pm »

1. I have never seen bandits pick up or use the bolts and arrows I've thrown at them.
2. If you haven't run across hundreds of arrows and bolts, you've been doing nothing but fighting night creatures and wild animals. Any given keep, catacomb, or bandit camp/ambush will easily yield 60-90 bolts or arrows at least. I find so many that I only take silver bolts, and don't bother picking them up again, unless I'm far away from everything.

Yes, my only 2 encounters with bandits ended with my hero getting killed in the first round by a bandit marksman due to a shot in the head (despite having good dodging and shield user skills)
Taught me to better stay away from bandits until I am able to protect my most important body parts with a plate armor.
(which wasn´t all too successful so far ... had many adventurers geting killed after just a few days, bei it due to getting dragged into rivers and being swarmed (and killed) by several milkfish or getting swarmed by skeleton and other undead parts, raised by a mummy.

knapping just applies an edge to the stone.  just about any edged weapon (including real knives) are better for melee.  the stones are better as ranges, as there is a 100% chance the hit will use the edge, rather than some lesser chance, as there is some chance to use any of the damagy types available to a thrown weapon (flat of the blade slap with swords, for example)

Great ....
in this case I will continue using knapped stones (instead of blunt ones)
Pages: [1] 2 3