Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sharp stones as throwing weapon  (Read 8976 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp stones as throwing weapon
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:20:11 am »

i use money for throwing which is conveniently the only good use for it as now
I'm with you there.

That said, I've had GREAT success with coins as ammo.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:57 am »

When I threw coins, it said they "passed right through". I guess either the coins were too small or the enemies needed to gain quite a bit of weight.

This was back in 31.25 though so I'm not sure if it's still the same because I keep dying for stupid reasons in 34.01 and 02.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 05:11:14 am »

It i still there (at least for some coin types) ...
I tried to use the change money I still had (from buying gems in town) as a throwing weapon against (if I remember correctly) honey badgers and it said the same.
Seems like copper coins arenīt big/heavy enough

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:07 am »

I wonder how stacks of animal bits (Meat, Bones, Fat, ect...) Stack up as throwing weapons in terms of weight and damage inflicted...

nate101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:44 am »

I wonder how stacks of animal bits (Meat, Bones, Fat, ect...) Stack up as throwing weapons in terms of weight and damage inflicted...

I managed to kill a bandit with wolf bones, but that was the only success I've had with animal part throwing weapons

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 09:28:56 pm »

Bones seem to be pretty bad, but meat is a little better as it is heavier.  You're better off with rocks, though.  Any part of the animal but the meat seems to weigh 1 Urist per item after butchering, while meat is 2 Urists.  They don't seem to have an edge at all, so it's just mass you are throwing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:28 pm »

Given a high enough skill, you can crush heads by throwing a handful of vomit.
A real pity you can't use dedicated hurlers as part of your military in fortess mode.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »

Given a high enough skill, you can crush heads by throwing a handful of vomit.
A real pity you can't use dedicated hurlers as part of your military in fortess mode.

m-f assign slade boulders as ammo.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »

So, to mass produce sharp stones you have to drop (or put into a backpack) the sharpened stone and replace it with another blunt stone (and so on)

this here, it is incorrect, you can hold ALL the stones as long as you "r"emove them from your "i"nventory, it is however a glitch and i'm sure the way your meant to do it is "g"et 2 stones sharpen and "p"ut one away/"t"hrow it.

coins are nowhere near as good as iron bolts/arrows, i'v actually come across so many of them that ima have to reposes a lair to store them in so i'm not taking a 300 hit to speed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:42:14 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 11:41:40 pm »

meh, i found its pretty entertaining to throw coins upwards at an angle in an attempt to land them on certain squares/rooftops

Maksie99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 06:38:11 am »

On one occasion I shattered a bandit's skull by throwing a severed hand at him. Maybe certain (severed, not butchered) body parts are good for throwing.

This was in the latest version by the way.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 07:52:49 am »

On one occasion I shattered a bandit's skull by throwing a severed hand at him. Maybe certain (severed, not butchered) body parts are good for throwing.

This was in the latest version by the way.
I've always been partial to using heads as ammunition. Of course, I have now stopped this practice mostly due to the new surprises that come along with body parts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:14:08 am by dirty foot »

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:41 am »

pffft! why use severed body parts, thats weak, use whole dragons and giants like a man!
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »

pffft! why use severed body parts, thats weak, use whole dragons and giants like a man!

i used to carry a few corpses for this.  getting a corpse to shatter the skull and get stuck in the wound  is the epitome of awesome.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Chinese Immigrants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »

knapping just applies an edge to the stone.  just about any edged weapon (including real knives) are better for melee.  the stones are better as ranges, as there is a 100% chance the hit will use the edge, rather than some lesser chance, as there is some chance to use any of the damagy types available to a thrown weapon (flat of the blade slap with swords, for example)

This, also if your skill gets high enough you may make ☼Masterful☼ quality sharpened stones, which will double its to-hit modifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3